The Student Room Group

English language q2

Hi,
Can someone mark this q2 and give me some tips from english lang paper 1?
I'm doing a resit and I've forgotten everything.
Thanks
Question is How does writer use language to present the narrator's fright and confusion?

Where were the officers and the crew? What were they doing? Towards the bow I saw some men
running in the gloom. I thought I saw some animals too, but I dismissed the sight as illusion crafted
by rain and shadow. We had the hatch covers over their bay pulled open when the weather was
good, but at all times the animals were kept confined to their cages. These were dangerous wild
animals we were transporting, not farm livestock. Above me, on the bridge, I thought I heard
some men shouting.

The ship shook and there was that sound, the monstrous metallic burp. What was it? Was it the
collective scream of humans and animals protesting their oncoming death? Was it the ship itself
giving up the ghost? I fell over. I got to my feet. I looked overboard again. The sea was rising. The
waves were getting closer. We were sinking fast.

I clearly heard monkeys shrieking. Something was shaking the deck, A gaur-an Indian wild ox exploded out of the rain and thundered by me, terrified, out of control, berserk. I looked at it,
dumbstruck and amazed. Who in God's name had let it out?

In lines 6 to 11, the writer uses verbs to describe the impatient nature of the reporters waiting at the scene. The use of the verb stamped’ implies an aggressive animalistic nature where the hoarders of reporters are waiting and get raged and riled up to find out more. It can also imply their determination in getting their information without considering space or respect for the deceased person. The verb also can imply the reporters are child-like as they are trying to get their way inside immediately without patience. This invasiveness is further emphasised as the cameramen film everything around the crime scene trying to get a little piece of insight inside which is shown by a long extended list.

Other than the invasive nature of the reporters, there is a sense of confusion in the scene shown by the police and a young photographer. This is evident when the young man took the photo of a balcony which barely had room left for a human being.’ The writer uses irony to illustrate the ridiculousness in the photographer and how he was so carefree. For the police, they are given flowers which they lay down self consciously.’ The use of adverb presents the police as being sort of scared or intimidated by the reporters so much they can’t do their job. It can also imply a sense of panic or tenseness to the reader as they wonder how the person died.
(edited 1 year ago)
Focus on the different ways in which language is used. Make notes. Find the words that convey feelings and use a highlighter pen to mark them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending