The Student Room Group

What topics do you find the hardest in A Level Maths?

Hi, I am a University student but I am going to make notes for A- Level maths students, please let me know what topics you find the hardest so I can produce some notes on them :smile:

Scroll to see replies

the trig questions where you have to show that LHS = RHS
Original post by √-1
Hi, I am a University student but I am going to make notes for A- Level maths students, please let me know what topics you find the hardest so I can produce some notes on them :smile:

I am almost finishing my AS level and will begin A2 later this year. WJEC is my exam board.
I personally didn't like 'Vectors' and 'Logs' topics in Unit 1...I just find them confusing at the time, but I have managed to understand them now.
I also didn't like 'Hypothesis Testing' and 'Venn Diagrams' for calculating probabilities in Unit 2...rest topics I found it alright to learn...
Are you producing a website for A level maths contents? pls let us know about it lol
Reply 3
Original post by Noob Master
I am almost finishing my AS level and will begin A2 later this year. WJEC is my exam board.
I personally didn't like 'Vectors' and 'Logs' topics in Unit 1...I just find them confusing at the time, but I have managed to understand them now.
I also didn't like 'Hypothesis Testing' and 'Venn Diagrams' for calculating probabilities in Unit 2...rest topics I found it alright to learn...
Are you producing a website for A level maths contents? pls let us know about it lol

If I can produce a website I will, I just remember not having enough resources out there, like practice exam papers or practice questions and having to resort to uplearn to trust that I'd get a good grade. So just want a cheaper or free resource out there like that :smile:
All of integration can get in the bin. :h:
Original post by √-1
If I can produce a website I will, I just remember not having enough resources out there, like practice exam papers or practice questions and having to resort to uplearn to trust that I'd get a good grade. So just want a cheaper or free resource out there like that :smile:

Oh I see, yeah I heard about UpLearn before...well good luck! hope you can achieve making a cheaper resource and help out millions of others!! : )
Reply 6
Original post by Sunfish/Squid
All of integration can get in the bin. :h:

I will get started on some integration notes then!
Original post by √-1

There are more useful websites for Maths than any other subject - I would explore those before creating anything.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
There are more useful websites for Maths than any other subject - I would explore those before creating anything.

I know there are good websites out there but I exhausted all of their resources when I did my A - Levels
Original post by √-1
I know there are good websites out there but I exhausted all of their resources when I did my A - Levels

Which ones did you use? Honestly there's so many plus all the resources teachers share from exam board teacher-only access.
last week of my a levels now but i'm sure the younger years will find it really helpful. if you're looking for a gap in the market, try to accommodate the CCEA board. there are very few resources at all that fit their spec but the entirety of NI study it.
Topics I struggle with:h:ypothesis Testing,Standard Deviation and Vectors including μ and λ.

I am having an EOY Exam (End of Year Exam) on Mechanics is it possible to reccomend any useful websites/channels that you used during your time studying A-levels that are free to access for students for this topic?

Thank you so much for helping out!!
Reply 12
Original post by ru.hi.hi
Topics I struggle with:h:ypothesis Testing,Standard Deviation and Vectors including μ and λ.

I am having an EOY Exam (End of Year Exam) on Mechanics is it possible to reccomend any useful websites/channels that you used during your time studying A-levels that are free to access for students for this topic?

Thank you so much for helping out!!

What Board are you with? I took Edexcel and found the Pulleys and connected particles the hardest. If you haven't checked it out yet you could look up the old mechanics stuff, I think M1 covers the whole of year 1 mechanics and M2 is year 2 mechanics.
Students will be spoilt for choice as far as straight maths is concerned. What might be more useful is if you can produce resources for the neglected papers in further maths - eg. Edexcel FP2 (if you did not study this at A-level you'll still recall a lot of it from first year linear algebra and group theory, assuming you're studying maths) & FS2, MEI extra pure (iirc), so on.

I tried to do this but lost interest when I stopped doing A-levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx
Students will be spoilt for choice as far as straight maths is concerned. What might be more useful is if you can produce resources for the neglected papers in further maths - eg. Edexcel FP2 (if you did not study this at A-level you'll still recall a lot of it from first year linear algebra and group theory, assuming you're studying maths) & FS2, MEI extra pure (iirc), so on.

I tried to do this but lost interest when I stopped doing A-levels.

Thank you for your advice :smile:
This is what I said - review all the resources out there.

Which websites did you use?
Original post by √-1
Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 16
This is what I said - review all the resources out there.

Which websites did you use?

Um, it was a couple of years ago now so hard to remember, but all the past papers available, then they had these other papers from the exam board? not sure of their name but they were supposed to be slightly harder.

In terms of revision resources:
Physics and maths tutor
Exam solutions- helped a lot for further maths
revision maths
maths genie
Uplearn- for the 12 A-level exam papers
moments in mechanics ;-;
Lots more websites out there.
Original post by √-1
Um, it was a couple of years ago now so hard to remember, but all the past papers available, then they had these other papers from the exam board? not sure of their name but they were supposed to be slightly harder.

In terms of revision resources:
Physics and maths tutor
Exam solutions- helped a lot for further maths
revision maths
maths genie
Uplearn- for the 12 A-level exam papers
Reply 19
Lots more websites out there.

I know there is haha, I am not going to do this for a huge profit or anything, I just struggled to find resources suitable to how I learn when I was taking my A Level's and I wished there were more resources out there. So now I have time and knowledge I wanted to make some resources that people can use.

Quick Reply

Latest