The Student Room Group

should i drop out of ib?

okay so basically im in my first year of ib and about to start the last term. ever since i started ive been either failing or borderline-failing all of my subjects, have barely done anything for my ee, haven't even started my cas portfolio, and am doing less than average in tok. i knew itd be too stressful for me the very first week i started and trialled a course in college, but didnt like it as that seemed TOO easy and i felt lonely there and went back to ib. it wasnt that bad until ia's kicked off... now i simply cannot cope. i failed almost all of my mocks, as well as doing terribly in my ia's as i just cant focus on anything- my mental health is bad and im being tested for adhd. i dont know if im just lazy and not putting in enough effort, or if ib is simply too hard for me and i should drop out now and try something else. i know if i really pushed myself i could PASS ib, i just feel like im already failing and feel like im not willing to do the work (as i simply am just too overwhelmed, can't focus, have absolutely 0 motivation and cant find a way that works to fix this). so my question really is- do i drop out now and start something new, or do i really try now to push myself to my limits somehow and do better in ib? my worry is that id drop out and start something like a-levels, only to find i struggle just as much as i did with ib, and end up doing badly in that too. however my only hope with that is i now have experience in which subjects i DONT like doing (as everything im taking right now i really am not interested in), so i could pick subjects that i currently have a good interest in and could hopefully perform better in... or an apprenticeship or college is always an option.

thoughts??
Original post by kiremio
okay so basically im in my first year of ib and about to start the last term. ever since i started ive been either failing or borderline-failing all of my subjects, have barely done anything for my ee, haven't even started my cas portfolio, and am doing less than average in tok. i knew itd be too stressful for me the very first week i started and trialled a course in college, but didnt like it as that seemed TOO easy and i felt lonely there and went back to ib. it wasnt that bad until ia's kicked off... now i simply cannot cope. i failed almost all of my mocks, as well as doing terribly in my ia's as i just cant focus on anything- my mental health is bad and im being tested for adhd. i dont know if im just lazy and not putting in enough effort, or if ib is simply too hard for me and i should drop out now and try something else. i know if i really pushed myself i could PASS ib, i just feel like im already failing and feel like im not willing to do the work (as i simply am just too overwhelmed, can't focus, have absolutely 0 motivation and cant find a way that works to fix this). so my question really is- do i drop out now and start something new, or do i really try now to push myself to my limits somehow and do better in ib? my worry is that id drop out and start something like a-levels, only to find i struggle just as much as i did with ib, and end up doing badly in that too. however my only hope with that is i now have experience in which subjects i DONT like doing (as everything im taking right now i really am not interested in), so i could pick subjects that i currently have a good interest in and could hopefully perform better in... or an apprenticeship or college is always an option.

thoughts??

Hi there.

Your mental health comes first so it's important you look after yourself whether this means taking a break or dropping out. @IBkidinthecorner may be able to advise further. :smile:

Take care and best wishes. :smile:
@TriplexA thanks for the tag!

OP, I would suggest that you set up a meeting with your IB coordinator to go through your concerns. Your school shouldn’t have allowed you to get to this point and I can see how stressful this whole situation must be for you. I’m not sure what would happen with your CAS portfolio, as my understanding is that you have to complete it over an 18 month period which you don’t have. Do you think you’d be better suited to the A-Levels, where you only have to study three subjects and still attain University Entrance?

I think it would be possible for you to turn things around, but it would take a lot of work and it doesn’t sound as though you’re particularly enthusiastic about the program. If I were you, I’d start off by having a meeting with your school, possibly with your parents present and then decide if the IB is for you

Good luck with everything!
Reply 3
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
@TriplexA thanks for the tag!

OP, I would suggest that you set up a meeting with your IB coordinator to go through your concerns. Your school shouldn’t have allowed you to get to this point and I can see how stressful this whole situation must be for you. I’m not sure what would happen with your CAS portfolio, as my understanding is that you have to complete it over an 18 month period which you don’t have. Do you think you’d be better suited to the A-Levels, where you only have to study three subjects and still attain University Entrance?

I think it would be possible for you to turn things around, but it would take a lot of work and it doesn’t sound as though you’re particularly enthusiastic about the program. If I were you, I’d start off by having a meeting with your school, possibly with your parents present and then decide if the IB is for you

Good luck with everything!

thank you! i think i would much better be suited to a-levels, as only having 3 subjects would be a lot easier to manage (despite content behind harder) as i could then focus on them better. having 6 subjects often feels like my head is all over the place, especially with cas tok and ee on top of it... its like i cant focus on one subject long enough to catch up! ive organised a meeting with my ib coordinator for tomorrow, so ill come back tomorrow and update on how that went. i also think doing a-level would be much better if i could choose subjects i have a real interest in, as a lot of ib subjects were not what i expected and i now find myself incredibly bored. im just not sure where id go to do these a-levels, especially at a year behind. i could self-teach or do night classes as im not sure id be able to get into any sixth forms a year behind (and wouldnt be too happy being the only one older than my peers), do you think this is doable? i am also considering taking a college course with an a-level on the side (i could do a night class for the a-level), but im really just not sure. i only have a year left of ib, after all. i guess i could just push through it but i really just need to figure out if its right for me to do so... ill update when i know more! thanks again.
Original post by kiremio
thank you! i think i would much better be suited to a-levels, as only having 3 subjects would be a lot easier to manage (despite content behind harder) as i could then focus on them better. having 6 subjects often feels like my head is all over the place, especially with cas tok and ee on top of it... its like i cant focus on one subject long enough to catch up! ive organised a meeting with my ib coordinator for tomorrow, so ill come back tomorrow and update on how that went. i also think doing a-level would be much better if i could choose subjects i have a real interest in, as a lot of ib subjects were not what i expected and i now find myself incredibly bored. im just not sure where id go to do these a-levels, especially at a year behind. i could self-teach or do night classes as im not sure id be able to get into any sixth forms a year behind (and wouldnt be too happy being the only one older than my peers), do you think this is doable? i am also considering taking a college course with an a-level on the side (i could do a night class for the a-level), but im really just not sure. i only have a year left of ib, after all. i guess i could just push through it but i really just need to figure out if its right for me to do so... ill update when i know more! thanks again.

Tbh I think you’d be better off switching to A-Levels as you sound more keen on them so would be more likely to do well. I have no idea about sixth form entrance I’m afraid; I’m not originally from the UK and attended an international school due to the fact that I wasn’t in the country to sit the 16+ during testing season. If you can attend a sixth form (which I think would be ideal), you’ll probably find that the slight age difference doesn’t matter in the slightest - I was marginally older than my peers due to the change from a Jan-Dec school year to the British system. One of my best friends was also a bit older as she’d done a year of A-Levels at another school before switching to the IB. I would suggest that if you want to do A-Levels, you contact your preferred sixth forms and ask if they’d be willing to consider you.

Re. the college course, what is the purpose of the A-Level on the side and do you know what you’d like to do afterwards?

Best of luck for your meeting tomorrow; I hope it helps you to work out your next steps!

@04MR17 any thoughts?
Posting to remind myself to look at this tomorrow as I'm going to bed now :colondollar:
Original post by 04MR17
Posting to remind myself to look at this tomorrow as I'm going to bed now :colondollar:

Ty!
My first question is what do you want to be in the future?

I can't advise you fully if this is still an unknown.

Next question - are you in the UK?
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
My first question is what do you want to be in the future?

I can't advise you fully if this is still an unknown.

Next question - are you in the UK?

to your first question- although this isn't very helpful- i dont know at all what i want to be in the future. ive had many ideas throughout life, none of which have stuck... i enjoy psychology although i didnt take it at ib (big regret), i also enjoy biology and english (but again, i didn't take biology- another big regret). i used to enjoy geography but am gradually losing the love for it- ive been studying it my whole life, so possibly am just bored. im not so good at maths, although i don't find it TERRIBLE. politics, however, i hate and find really boring. not sure where to go with that?

the subjects i currently take are English Lit HL, Global Politics HL, Geography HL, Maths Applications SL, Environmental Systems SL and German Ab Initio

at GCSE i got Biology (7), Chemistry (5), Physics (5), English Literature (6), English Language (7), Psychology (6), Creative iMedia (M2), Geography (8) Maths (6) and Drama (7). i enjoyed biology the most out of these.

i have considered going to university but as im already struggling with work, im not sure this is the best idea. i also dont have a specific career id like, so university seems a bit pointless for the amount of debt that comes with it. maybe ill just go into employment in an office job, although this does sound quite dull. honestly, im not really sure!

for the second question- yes, i am in the uk in kent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending