The Student Room Group

PGCE help?!

Okay, I feel like I need some help! So any advice would be great!

I've been accepted to do a PGCE in Further Education and Training (without QTLS) which starts in September. I've got a good job right now which I really do enjoy, but at the same time I don't think it's something I want to do forever. I have a BA and Masters in English Lit and this has always been my passion, so part of me would love to give teaching a go and be able to share this. But, in all honesty, I'm absolutely terrified! I'm scared I won't like it or be any good at it, and I'm scared to leave my job and security.

The PGCE also doesn't have QTS/QTLS which I don't really understand either. Is this a negative? I can't really see myself wanting to teach younger kids, but will this be a disadvantage for me?

I have no idea what it might be like to teach in the FE sector either, apart from some experience days. I feel like it's a "you won't know until you try" situation.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated... I feel like I'm at a real crossroad!
Original post by jfoxglove

I've been accepted to do a PGCE in Further Education and Training (without QTLS) which starts in September. I've got a good job right now which I really do enjoy, but at the same time I don't think it's something I want to do forever. I have a BA and Masters in English Lit and this has always been my passion, so part of me would love to give teaching a go and be able to share this. But, in all honesty, I'm absolutely terrified! I'm scared I won't like it or be any good at it, and I'm scared to leave my job and security.

The PGCE also doesn't have QTS/QTLS which I don't really understand either. Is this a negative? I can't really see myself wanting to teach younger kids, but will this be a disadvantage for me?

I have no idea what it might be like to teach in the FE sector either, apart from some experience days. I feel like it's a "you won't know until you try" situation.

I would strongly advise you do a course with QTS - your options are limited without it.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
I would strongly advise you do a course with QTS - your options are limited without it.

Thank you for the reply. I have also been wondering this recently, as the PGCE I have been accepted on is the same price and length of time as ones with QTS included. What advantage does this have?
Thank you for the reply. I have also been wondering this recently, as the PGCE I have been accepted on is the same price and length of time as ones with QTS included. What advantage does this have?

QTS = qualified teacher status -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts

Hi @jfoxglove

If the course you are thinking about doing doesn't come with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) you will be putting yourself at a disadvantage as you need your QTS to be able to teach. If you complete this course without QTS, you would need to do additional training to gain the QTS. I saw in your comments that the course is the same length and price as course with QTS, therefore if you are going to commit to the price and timeframe, it would be better to complete a course where you will be a qualified teacher at the end, as you will be able to apply for teaching jobs straight away without the need for additional costs and training to gain the QTS.

In terms of the age range you will teach, Primary School and Secondary School PGCEs are usually separate, as they require different training and placements. Therefore, you can choose to complete a Secondary PGCE, which would qualify you as a Secondary school teacher (ages 11-16, sometime 18 if the school you work in has a college as part of the school). Not wanting to teach younger kids (of primary age) would not be a disadvantage to you, but you would have to teach Year Seven upwards if you choose to pursue Secondary. I was told by one of my A-Level teachers that you use a Secondary PGCE to teach at college level (so just Years 12 and 13, ages 16-18), but it may depend on the individual school/college for that. It is an option for you, however.

I appreciate how daunting it must be to leave a stable job for something unknown, and only you can make that decision I'm afraid. But if you love English and want to share your love and passion for the subject it already sounds like you will be a good teacher. My partner is currently coming to the end of his PGCE in Secondary History and the main take aways I have picked up from him is that enthusiasm goes a long way with the kids you teach. If you can put your own passion into it, the kids pick up on it, and it makes the lessons more enjoyable for everyone. You will have mentors within the university and in your placement schools to help you and guide throughout your PGCE. Your responsibilities will gradually increase as you progress in the PGCE, so you won't be thrown into the deep end at the start! You should have plenty of support to help you.

I hope this helps, best of luck with your decision :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)
Reply 5
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @jfoxglove

If the course you are thinking about doing doesn't come with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) you will be putting yourself at a disadvantage as you need your QTS to be able to teach. If you complete this course without QTS, you would need to do additional training to gain the QTS. I saw in your comments that the course is the same length and price as course with QTS, therefore if you are going to commit to the price and timeframe, it would be better to complete a course where you will be a qualified teacher at the end, as you will be able to apply for teaching jobs straight away without the need for additional costs and training to gain the QTS.

In terms of the age range you will teach, Primary School and Secondary School PGCEs are usually separate, as they require different training and placements. Therefore, you can choose to complete a Secondary PGCE, which would qualify you as a Secondary school teacher (ages 11-16, sometime 18 if the school you work in has a college as part of the school). Not wanting to teach younger kids (of primary age) would not be a disadvantage to you, but you would have to teach Year Seven upwards if you choose to pursue Secondary. I was told by one of my A-Level teachers that you use a Secondary PGCE to teach at college level (so just Years 12 and 13, ages 16-18), but it may depend on the individual school/college for that. It is an option for you, however.

I appreciate how daunting it must be to leave a stable job for something unknown, and only you can make that decision I'm afraid. But if you love English and want to share your love and passion for the subject it already sounds like you will be a good teacher. My partner is currently coming to the end of his PGCE in Secondary History and the main take aways I have picked up from him is that enthusiasm goes a long way with the kids you teach. If you can put your own passion into it, the kids pick up on it, and it makes the lessons more enjoyable for everyone. You will have mentors within the university and in your placement schools to help you and guide throughout your PGCE. Your responsibilities will gradually increase as you progress in the PGCE, so you won't be thrown into the deep end at the start! You should have plenty of support to help you.

I hope this helps, best of luck with your decision :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)

Hi Grace,
Thank you so much for the advice! This has been super helpful. I think you're definitely right, not having the QTS seems to be quite a disadvantage and (where I live) there aren't ever many (if any!) FE English teaching jobs advertised. I think I would need that backup of being able to teach other levels if I do decide to go into teaching.

Thank you so much again for the advice - it's what I needed to hear! :smile:
Hi Grace,
Thank you so much for the advice! This has been super helpful. I think you're definitely right, not having the QTS seems to be quite a disadvantage and (where I live) there aren't ever many (if any!) FE English teaching jobs advertised. I think I would need that backup of being able to teach other levels if I do decide to go into teaching.

Thank you so much again for the advice - it's what I needed to hear! :smile:

Hi
I was thinking of PGCE English, are there not many English teacher jobs going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending