The Student Room Group

Unqualified Teacher

I took a year long course to obtain a PGCE and QTS in primary education. I left the course with 4 weeks to go due to ill health of my new-born child but also due to being bullied in my final school placement by another member of staff. I only gained my PGCE and not my QTS and have struggled to find a course to obtain my QTS since. I have now had a year out of the classroom but I am considering applying as an unqualified teacher (I have made the schools in question aware of my situation). Is this a wise decision based on the fact I have no QTS and have had a year of not teaching. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself if I am successful?
Original post by MrC93
I took a year long course to obtain a PGCE and QTS in primary education. I left the course with 4 weeks to go due to ill health of my new-born child but also due to being bullied in my final school placement by another member of staff. I only gained my PGCE and not my QTS and have struggled to find a course to obtain my QTS since. I have now had a year out of the classroom but I am considering applying as an unqualified teacher (I have made the schools in question aware of my situation). Is this a wise decision based on the fact I have no QTS and have had a year of not teaching. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself if I am successful?

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about this. :frown:

@Muttley79 could help with your query. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
Original post by MrC93

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and the lack of flexibility to support you with those health issues of your new-born; I hope all is well now.

You can apply for QTS after two years teaching through assessment only route:

"Qualifications and experience you’ll need to be eligible for an assessment only QTS

To apply for assessment only QTS, you do not need a formal teacher training qualification.

However, you must have:
a minimum of 2 years’ teaching experience
a first degree from a UK or non-UK university
achieved a standard equivalent to grade 4 in GCSE English language and mathematics
for teaching children aged 3 to 11 (English primary school), a standard equivalent to grade 4 in a GCSE science (biology, chemistry or physics) subject"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-qualified-teacher-status-qts-if-you-teach-outside-the-uk/routes-to-qualified-teacher-status-qts-for-teachers-and-those-with-teaching-experience-outside-the-uk
Original post by Muttley79
I'm sorry to hear about your experience and the lack of flexibility to support you with those health issues of your new-born; I hope all is well now.

You can apply for QTS after two years teaching through assessment only route:

"Qualifications and experience you’ll need to be eligible for an assessment only QTS

To apply for assessment only QTS, you do not need a formal teacher training qualification.

However, you must have:
a minimum of 2 years’ teaching experience
a first degree from a UK or non-UK university
achieved a standard equivalent to grade 4 in GCSE English language and mathematics
for teaching children aged 3 to 11 (English primary school), a standard equivalent to grade 4 in a GCSE science (biology, chemistry or physics) subject"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-qualified-teacher-status-qts-if-you-teach-outside-the-uk/routes-to-qualified-teacher-status-qts-for-teachers-and-those-with-teaching-experience-outside-the-uk

Thanks for the supportive words. This is the route I am looking at but since I have had a year out of the classroom I don't feel ready at all to teach as my knowledge is not up to scratch. I know part of this may be confidence issues from my experience in my final placement. Could you recommend anything I can do to bolster my knowledge?
Original post by MrC93
Thanks for the supportive words. This is the route I am looking at but since I have had a year out of the classroom I don't feel ready at all to teach as my knowledge is not up to scratch. I know part of this may be confidence issues from my experience in my final placement. Could you recommend anything I can do to bolster my knowledge?

Maybe work as a TA for a term? Supply teaching [when you should have a plan given to you]?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending