The Student Room Group

Healthcare Science Placement

My boyfriend, 26, is currently studying Healthcare Science and he is on his first-year placement. He is having to leave home at 7am every day to get to the hospital he is placed at for a 9am start. He is then only arriving home around 7pm. His university is only 45 minutes' drive from home and they sent him to a hospital even further away, which neither he or I would mind, if he was able to be involved in practical activities.

He has struggled with his mental health, particularly since losing his older brother a couple of years ago. He also has a younger, disabled brother, who he cares for. He has a bulging disk in his back, which he is on strong painkillers for. Despite this, he hasn't been offered any help or support.

For his placement, he is spending 2 weeks in a department and then moving to another department. There have been occasions where he has started late or finished early, as the opportunity was offered. On a couple of these early finishes, he accompanied me to medical appointments (he drives and I don't). At the moment, he is travelling for nearly 4 hours a day to sit and watch a qualified member of staff do their job for 8 hours. He has not been given the opportunity to engage.

Yesterday, he contacted somebody from the hospital he is on a placement at, to ask if his attendance (which he admitted wasn't particularly good) would affect his placement. Their response was "nobody in these departments will want you if the poor attendance continues." They also questioned as to whether working in a laboratory was appropriate for him.

Considering he is not getting paid, or even reimbursed for travel, he is filling up his car every couple of days - and paying for that himself - as well as trying to work on his mental health, I think this is disgusting. I understand attendance is important but if his supervisor is offering him the opportunity to leave, he is going to choose to go. Especially considering he is a person who learns by doing, not by watching.

I spoke to a colleague (I work in a primary school) and she agrees that this is very unprofessional. I had a very bad experience at university (I would put in a formal complaint to my university if I could but I left in 2018) and I wanted to know if this was somewhat acceptable. I never got any help and support because it wasn't offered and I would love for him to have that option but they don't offer it either!!

Am I wrong to be so angry and frustrated? Knowing how hard my boyfriend works, how much he is battling silently, how caring he is towards his brother, it breaks my heart that somebody who doesn't know him could potentially ruin his placement, degree and/or future career.

(I am not slating the university or the hospital - I just think this is unacceptable and needs to be dealt with somehow).

Please can you respond with what you think so I know I'm not overreacting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending