The Student Room Group

personal statements

So I know of many people that write things like 'since I was young I've dreamed of etc...', wanted to ask if its weird to write that my inspiration to become a dentist was from a TV show , it actually was! haha
Reply 1
To be honest my teachers told me that kind of thing is frowned upon (probably because everyone writes it lmao). Maybe try coming up with another way to express your interest, but if you can't think of anything then you could just say something along the lines of 'My interest in dentistry stemmed from its portrayal in media...'. (sorry, just finished my A-Levels and my brain is still mushy and not working lol) It's up to you ultimately :smile:
Original post by ilovesanji
So I know of many people that write things like 'since I was young I've dreamed of etc...', wanted to ask if its weird to write that my inspiration to become a dentist was from a TV show , it actually was! haha
Yeah, literally everyone says that. But it's also important to note that you're applying for the degree not for the job, and I find it highly unlikely that you've been interested in the academic side of dentistry ever since you were young.

Hi there!

Yes, as the replies you've had have already mentioned, starting with a phrase along the lines of "Since I was young I've dreamed of.." is not very original, a lot of students have that same idea!

The meaning behind it is still good though, but coming up with a different way of phrasing it would be best. Mentioning what it was in particular that you saw on TV that made you interested in dentistry, and how that was a different experience to a lot of children who don't like or even say they're afraid of dentists. Personal statements are your own thing, so you've got make it stand out as "this is me, this why I want to go university and study this course, and this what I want/hope to get out of it".

I hope this is helpful for you, UCAS have a lot of advice on their website so I'd recommend having a look there :smile:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/how-write-personal-statement

If you have any other question please let me know!

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni

PS are more about what you’ve done to Perdue that career so maybe write about relevant WEx, etc.

@Mesopotamian. I’d be interested to know what made you want to do dentistry

You could use the TSR PS free service to help you aswell. I can’t link it as I’m on my phone but there’s amazing people on here to help:smile:
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi there!

Yes, as the replies you've had have already mentioned, starting with a phrase along the lines of "Since I was young I've dreamed of.." is not very original, a lot of students have that same idea!

The meaning behind it is still good though, but coming up with a different way of phrasing it would be best. Mentioning what it was in particular that you saw on TV that made you interested in dentistry, and how that was a different experience to a lot of children who don't like or even say they're afraid of dentists. Personal statements are your own thing, so you've got make it stand out as "this is me, this why I want to go university and study this course, and this what I want/hope to get out of it".

I hope this is helpful for you, UCAS have a lot of advice on their website so I'd recommend having a look there :smile:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/how-write-personal-statement

If you have any other question please let me know!

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni

100% I definitely have not been interested in dentistry since I was younger
Original post by toxicgamage56
Yeah, literally everyone says that. But it's also important to note that you're applying for the degree not for the job, and I find it highly unlikely that you've been interested in the academic side of dentistry ever since you were young.
You don't need to say how you originally became interested in it for reasons like that - focus on WHY

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending