The Student Room Group

Music exams

Hi :smile:

This post is focused on drumming exams but if any other musicians could help as well I’d appreciate that! I recently completed my grade 2 drumming exam and I’m happy with what I got but tbh I would’ve liked to get slightly higher. I got 90%, which is just barely a distinction (literally one mark less would’ve been a merit).

I did really badly on the ear tests and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for practice? I got 3/5 on test 1 and I think 4/5 on test 2. Because they’re unseen, I was unprepared, and there aren’t many apps aimed at drummers because we’re kind of a rare breed :tongue:

Also, another question - is it actually possible to get full marks? I’m not planning on aiming that high but I’m just wondering if it’s ever happened! :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Which exam board do you take? I play flute and piano and I take ABRSM :smile:

I HATE aural tests. I always struggle with them the most out of all the sections in an exam

I just try to put in as much practice as possible. As I play pitched instruments, I'm tested on piano, so it's slightly easier to practice. For drums, do you have anyone you know who can play drums? You could buy an aural book and get them to test you, and as in the exam you'll be tested in that way, it will give you more of the experience you'll get in the exam.

I don't believe it's possible to get full marks - in ABRSM the exams are scored out of 150 and most distinctions are in the early to mid 130s. My grade 1 flute was 143 and my grade 8 flute was 140, but my other grades have been between 113 (piano grade 6) and 131 (flute grade 3) :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Which exam board do you take? I play flute and piano and I take ABRSM :smile:

I HATE aural tests. I always struggle with them the most out of all the sections in an exam

I just try to put in as much practice as possible. As I play pitched instruments, I'm tested on piano, so it's slightly easier to practice. For drums, do you have anyone you know who can play drums? You could buy an aural book and get them to test you, and as in the exam you'll be tested in that way, it will give you more of the experience you'll get in the exam.

I don't believe it's possible to get full marks - in ABRSM the exams are scored out of 150 and most distinctions are in the early to mid 130s. My grade 1 flute was 143 and my grade 8 flute was 140, but my other grades have been between 113 (piano grade 6) and 131 (flute grade 3) :smile:

I’m with RSL :smile:

Ikr, they’re evil. We practiced in lesson but it was so much harder in the real exam!

I don’t know any drummers except my class and teacher. I’ll look into an aural book if I can though, and maybe see if my dad can help (he’s not a drummer but is working towards grade 8 guitar so has a good sense of rhythm).

Ah right! With RSL, the exams are out of 100 and distinction is 90 or more, which is so hard to get :frown:
Original post by RushingRiver
I’m with RSL :smile:

Ikr, they’re evil. We practiced in lesson but it was so much harder in the real exam!

I don’t know any drummers except my class and teacher. I’ll look into an aural book if I can though, and maybe see if my dad can help (he’s not a drummer but is working towards grade 8 guitar so has a good sense of rhythm).

Ah right! With RSL, the exams are out of 100 and distinction is 90 or more, which is so hard to get :frown:

Oh nice :smile: do you have to do theory exams?

Yeah aha, luckily now I'm allowed a pen and paper in the exam so I don't forget what I have just heard :lol:

That's a good idea :smile:

Oh right :cry: I find it so hard to get a distinction on piano, I've had a merit and a pass :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Oh nice :smile: do you have to do theory exams?

Yeah aha, luckily now I'm allowed a pen and paper in the exam so I don't forget what I have just heard :lol:

That's a good idea :smile:

Oh right :cry: I find it so hard to get a distinction on piano, I've had a merit and a pass :frown:

No, there are 5 theory questions (5 marks) and that’s it. Stupid questions though :lol: I was asked to name two drum makers other than Yamaha so I said Evans (they make drumheads) and Roland (they make electric kits) but apparently those don’t count :frown:

Damnnn lucky :tongue:

Yeah distinction is pretty hard with any instrument I think… I barely managed and my teacher said I play with the fluency of some of his grade 4 and 5 students!
No, there are 5 theory questions (5 marks) and that’s it. Stupid questions though :lol: I was asked to name two drum makers other than Yamaha so I said Evans (they make drumheads) and Roland (they make electric kits) but apparently those don’t count :frown:

Damnnn lucky :tongue:

Yeah distinction is pretty hard with any instrument I think… I barely managed and my teacher said I play with the fluency of some of his grade 4 and 5 students!

WHAT with ABRSM we have to do an entire grade 5 theory exam to be able to go onto grade 6 practical :cry:

:smile: I only just recently was allowed it and I am so grateful, could you ask for it?

Yeah it is :redface: oh nice!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi :smile:

This post is focused on drumming exams but if any other musicians could help as well I’d appreciate that! I recently completed my grade 2 drumming exam and I’m happy with what I got but tbh I would’ve liked to get slightly higher. I got 90%, which is just barely a distinction (literally one mark less would’ve been a merit).

I did really badly on the ear tests and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for practice? I got 3/5 on test 1 and I think 4/5 on test 2. Because they’re unseen, I was unprepared, and there aren’t many apps aimed at drummers because we’re kind of a rare breed :tongue:

Also, another question - is it actually possible to get full marks? I’m not planning on aiming that high but I’m just wondering if it’s ever happened! :biggrin:

Unfortunately I don't have many tips because I also suck at ear tests, but well done! I told you you'd do great :biggrin:
WHAT with ABRSM we have to do an entire grade 5 theory exam to be able to go onto grade 6 practical :cry:

:smile: I only just recently was allowed it and I am so grateful, could you ask for it?

Yeah it is :redface: oh nice!!

:lol:
I’ll ask, not convinced they’ll let me though :redface:

Original post by thrivingfrog
Unfortunately I don't have many tips because I also suck at ear tests, but well done! I told you you'd do great :biggrin:

Thank you :tongue: :hugs:
:lol:
I’ll ask, not convinced they’ll let me though :redface:

Bit of a personal question, but are you neurodiverse? I'm only asking because I'm allowed the pen and paper because of executive functioning issues with autism :smile:
Bit of a personal question, but are you neurodiverse? I'm only asking because I'm allowed the pen and paper because of executive functioning issues with autism :smile:

I am :smile:
Sadly though, I haven’t been able to be officially diagnosed with anything thanks to my parents and the school making it almost impossible. I definitely have issues though, and it’s most likely autism.
Hey man, nice one! :five:

I started the drums last year and really enjoy playing (though I just moved and haven't unpacked them yet). I use Drumeo to learn songs and theory but I kind of suck. You got any tips? :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth

I started the drums last year and really enjoy playing (though I just moved and haven't unpacked them yet). I use Drumeo to learn songs and theory but I kind of suck. You got any tips? :smile:

Woah, never thought I’d meet another drummer on here! Hi! :hello:

Well I’m still kind of a beginner but I can try :tongue: Drumeo is very good, it’s how I started as well. Using a combination of Drumeo and my dad’s musical knowledge, I managed to teach myself grade 1 within the first 6 months of playing, so it’s a very good resource that spans a variety of levels :smile:

The main thing I’d say is timing. Timing is so important, and one of the first things I tried to learn. You don’t have to play any particular song, just practice playing a steady beat to a metronome, then progress to playing fills to a metronome as well. Also, learn your rudiments! You don’t need to know too many to start off, but definitely learn your paradiddles and practice single/double strokes.

As for theory, that’s mostly memorisation. Go over things, revise, test yourself - there’s a lot less theory in drumming than other instruments so don’t worry too much if you don’t like it. You can get by without it, at least for a while!

Are you planning on getting any lessons or doing any exams? If you’d like, I can send you a few grade 2 resources, or whatever level you’re working at, and maybe suggest some songs that my class have learnt recently for you to have a go at.

My PMs are open if you want to talk about anything further :biggrin:

I knew there was a drummer on here and thought you played drums so was going to tag you into @RushingRiver's previous thread but was unsure. :tongue:

I'm glad you came across this thread though. :smile:
Woah, never thought I’d meet another drummer on here! Hi! :hello:

Well I’m still kind of a beginner but I can try :tongue: Drumeo is very good, it’s how I started as well. Using a combination of Drumeo and my dad’s musical knowledge, I managed to teach myself grade 1 within the first 6 months of playing, so it’s a very good resource that spans a variety of levels :smile:

The main thing I’d say is timing. Timing is so important, and one of the first things I tried to learn. You don’t have to play any particular song, just practice playing a steady beat to a metronome, then progress to playing fills to a metronome as well. Also, learn your rudiments! You don’t need to know too many to start off, but definitely learn your paradiddles and practice single/double strokes.

As for theory, that’s mostly memorisation. Go over things, revise, test yourself - there’s a lot less theory in drumming than other instruments so don’t worry too much if you don’t like it. You can get by without it, at least for a while!

Are you planning on getting any lessons or doing any exams? If you’d like, I can send you a few grade 2 resources, or whatever level you’re working at, and maybe suggest some songs that my class have learnt recently for you to have a go at.

My PMs are open if you want to talk about anything further :biggrin:

Haha yeah, I think you repped me in another drumming thread pretty recently!

Drumeo is definitely awesome but I probably don't practice as much as I should as I'm still only playing 0 and 1 level songs (I can do a couple of level 2 ones but that's it) despite having got my drums a little over a year ago. I think you're right about timing being important - drums are basically what keep the time for all the other instruments. I have been playing bass guitar for 17 years so my timing is pretty good but I have been doing what you suggested, basically just playing a basic beat to the metronome then putting fills in and trying to keep the beat. I really love playing along to songs, probably to my detriment as I neglect the more important things but I'll try to take your advice (once I unpack!).

Not planning on lessons or exams right now. Just plan on having fun :biggrin: I take it you get lessons? How often? Would you say it's worth it in the beginning or just get the basics then do lessons? I'm worried I'm making some massive error but have no one to point it out to me. :tongue:
Original post by TriplexA
I knew there was a drummer on here and thought you played drums so was going to tag you into @RushingRiver's previous thread but was unsure. :tongue:

I'm glad you came across this thread though. :smile:

Thanks man! :five:
Haha yeah, I think you repped me in another drumming thread pretty recently!

Drumeo is definitely awesome but I probably don't practice as much as I should as I'm still only playing 0 and 1 level songs (I can do a couple of level 2 ones but that's it) despite having got my drums a little over a year ago. I think you're right about timing being important - drums are basically what keep the time for all the other instruments. I have been playing bass guitar for 17 years so my timing is pretty good but I have been doing what you suggested, basically just playing a basic beat to the metronome then putting fills in and trying to keep the beat. I really love playing along to songs, probably to my detriment as I neglect the more important things but I'll try to take your advice (once I unpack!).

Not planning on lessons or exams right now. Just plan on having fun :biggrin: I take it you get lessons? How often? Would you say it's worth it in the beginning or just get the basics then do lessons? I'm worried I'm making some massive error but have no one to point it out to me. :tongue:

Did I?? No memory of that :lol:

How often do you practice? I aim to do 30-60 mins per day (more over the weekend) and I’ve found that’s more than enough. Probably a little too much :s-smilie: but it’s fun :biggrin:
Ooh yeah that’s impressive, 17 years?! Your timing’s probably fine lol. Have you started many rudiments yet? I’d say get started on paradiddles if you haven’t already, they’re probably the most important rudiment to start off with.
I also have a habit of doing too many songs and not enough technical work :tongue: one thing I do is start with a 10-15 min technical skills warmup - so, I’ll do single strokes, double strokes, paradiddles, flams, 16th notes, etc along to a song and then along to a metronome, then after that just play what I want.

I do take lessons, yes :smile: I’m in a group of 6 and we have weekly lessons. Honestly for a lot of people, lessons are supposed to make things a lot easier, but for me it took 6 months self taught for grade 1 vs over a year of lessons for grade 2! So I think it really depends on the person. If you have the motivation and resources to teach yourself, then go for it, but be aware that you will probably miss key parts and pick up bad habits (for example, I started on an electric kit and never used an acoustic until I started lessons - as a result, my bass foot is way too quiet). If you’re a quick learner though, you can probably break those habits later if you choose to start lessons, but it will be harder.

Most people seem to do the first two or three grades with a teacher, and then after that some feel that they have the basics they need to teach themselves. Others prefer to continue with lessons the whole way through :smile: it’s unusual to start without lessons and take them up later, though.

Edit: damnnnn I rambled, sorry :lol:
(edited 1 year ago)
Did I?? No memory of that :lol:

How often do you practice? I aim to do 30-60 mins per day (more over the weekend) and I’ve found that’s more than enough. Probably a little too much :s-smilie: but it’s fun :biggrin:
Ooh yeah that’s impressive, 17 years?! Your timing’s probably fine lol. Have you started many rudiments yet? I’d say get started on paradiddles if you haven’t already, they’re probably the most important rudiment to start off with.
I also have a habit of doing too many songs and not enough technical work :tongue: one thing I do is start with a 10-15 min technical skills warmup - so, I’ll do single strokes, double strokes, paradiddles, flams, 16th notes, etc along to a song and then along to a metronome, then after that just play what I want.

I do take lessons, yes :smile: I’m in a group of 6 and we have weekly lessons. Honestly for a lot of people, lessons are supposed to make things a lot easier, but for me it took 6 months self taught for grade 1 vs over a year of lessons for grade 2! So I think it really depends on the person. If you have the motivation and resources to teach yourself, then go for it, but be aware that you will probably miss key parts and pick up bad habits (for example, I started on an electric kit and never used an acoustic until I started lessons - as a result, my bass foot is way too quiet). If you’re a quick learner though, you can probably break those habits later if you choose to start lessons, but it will be harder.

Most people seem to do the first two or three grades with a teacher, and then after that some feel that they have the basics they need to teach themselves. Others prefer to continue with lessons the whole way through :smile: it’s unusual to start without lessons and take them up later, though.

Edit: damnnnn I rambled, sorry :lol:

It's kinda embarrassing.....I only practice 2 or 3 times a week or so. Usually for about 45-60minutes. I had a full time job and would usually just fall asleep on the couch after work and dinner :colondollar: It is fun and I enjoy when I sit down to practice it's just finding the time and motivation. I don't even really have time for my bass anymore either :frown:

Yeah, I've been working through the theory videos a bit on Drumeo so have started paradiddles - not very good but trying! I think you have more dedication than me! :biggrin: 15 mins of technical skills? Nah! Let me loose on the song playalongs! I know I'm a terrible student, I have depression so find getting the motivation difficult so when I do play I just want to play what I enjoy. I'm hoping with time to get more dedicated and motivated on the fundamentals/theory but right now it's just not really happening.

How much do you pay for lessons? (if you don't mind me asking). I've never heard of having music lessons in a group. I wanted to learn a bit then have an expert tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to improve. I have no intention of weekly lessons. I taught myself bass using online resources so figure I should be able to do the same with the drums. :dontknow:
It's kinda embarrassing.....I only practice 2 or 3 times a week or so. Usually for about 45-60minutes. I had a full time job and would usually just fall asleep on the couch after work and dinner :colondollar: It is fun and I enjoy when I sit down to practice it's just finding the time and motivation. I don't even really have time for my bass anymore either :frown:

Yeah, I've been working through the theory videos a bit on Drumeo so have started paradiddles - not very good but trying! I think you have more dedication than me! :biggrin: 15 mins of technical skills? Nah! Let me loose on the song playalongs! I know I'm a terrible student, I have depression so find getting the motivation difficult so when I do play I just want to play what I enjoy. I'm hoping with time to get more dedicated and motivated on the fundamentals/theory but right now it's just not really happening.

How much do you pay for lessons? (if you don't mind me asking). I've never heard of having music lessons in a group. I wanted to learn a bit then have an expert tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to improve. I have no intention of weekly lessons. I taught myself bass using online resources so figure I should be able to do the same with the drums. :dontknow:

That should be enough tbh! One of my classmates only does an hour a week (literally just in lesson, he doesn’t have a kit at home) and he’s just about scraped a pass in his grade 2 exam. That said, he’s been playing much longer and did come worryingly close to failing. But he still passed and is making progress!

Oh just you wait till you see all the different types of paradiddle :tongue:
Paradiddle, inward paradiddle, reverse paradiddle, delayed paradiddle, flam paradiddle, paradiddle-diddle, flam paradiddle-diddle… the list goes on :redface:
I know four, personally (the first four I listed) and that was a mandatory requirement for grade 2. You don’t have to memorise them as long as you can play them.
I also have depression so I understand how challenging it can be to keep it up, especially when you lack motivation to do a particular thing that you know is necessary. That’s where lessons came in handy for me. My teacher completely transforms all the boring technical and theory work into games and competitions that make it so much fun! I’m always eager to work on technical stuff in lesson even though I don’t really like it.

My lessons are £13 per week and are an hour each. Private lessons are much more expensive than group lessons; generally more than double the price I think. For an occasional progress check with an expert, you’d probably want to look into private sessions that you can book individually. My music school charges on a termly basis, so there is an expectation to keep attending. You absolutely can teach yourself to drum if you’re motivated enough :biggrin:
I am :smile:
Sadly though, I haven’t been able to be officially diagnosed with anything thanks to my parents and the school making it almost impossible. I definitely have issues though, and it’s most likely autism.

Oh right :frown: I had to wait 2 and a half years to be diagnosed because people thought I was 'too smart' to be autistic :confused: how does that even work
Oh right :frown: I had to wait 2 and a half years to be diagnosed because people thought I was 'too smart' to be autistic :confused: how does that even work

Ikr! I’m intelligent for my age and I think that’s held me back with a diagnosis too. The school just kinda ignored me cause I’m a well-behaved student with high grades. Misinformation is annoying :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest