The Student Room Group

If I redo Y12 due to uncontrollable factors, will universities be less keen on me?

Massively sticky situation - any help would be appreciated.

My family has decided to move a long way away from my existing sixth form (a decision that is best for them but abhorrent for me). As such, unless I arrange to live with a relative where I already live (likely my dad, who I’ve never got on with and see maybe twice a year), I’m going to need to go with them.

The nature of my A-Levels mean that joining as Y13 wouldn’t be possible. History does entirely new modules, and Politics isn’t even offered, so I’d need to undertake a new subject. Economics, however, wouldn’t change at all, but I’d still end up doing Y12 again because it makes no sense trying to rush it in a year when also adjusting to a massive life change.

I’ve read universities like you to get your qualifications in two straight years - that’s a problem here. In my new subject, it’ll still be in two; in History, it’ll still be two in terms of content; in Economics, it’ll be three. Will I still be looked down upon in applications despite retaking not being due to struggling with the subjects, but uncontrollable factors?

This is a sorry situation, and I’m awfully panicked about it.
Your referee can explain this. In the education section they wil see you did a year at school X and then 2 at school Y a distance away.
Original post by hopenotarrogant
Massively sticky situation - any help would be appreciated.

My family has decided to move a long way away from my existing sixth form (a decision that is best for them but abhorrent for me). As such, unless I arrange to live with a relative where I already live (likely my dad, who I’ve never got on with and see maybe twice a year), I’m going to need to go with them.

The nature of my A-Levels mean that joining as Y13 wouldn’t be possible. History does entirely new modules, and Politics isn’t even offered, so I’d need to undertake a new subject. Economics, however, wouldn’t change at all, but I’d still end up doing Y12 again because it makes no sense trying to rush it in a year when also adjusting to a massive life change.

I’ve read universities like you to get your qualifications in two straight years - that’s a problem here. In my new subject, it’ll still be in two; in History, it’ll still be two in terms of content; in Economics, it’ll be three. Will I still be looked down upon in applications despite retaking not being due to struggling with the subjects, but uncontrollable factors?

This is a sorry situation, and I’m awfully panicked about it.
What might you apply for and any particular universities you are targetting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending