The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My course and my housemates :giggle:
I would've actually swallowed my pride and borrowed money to get my Freshers' Pass, and not be ill. For me, FW was probably the worst week I can remember. :frown:
Course
I would move into halls, living at home is ruining uni for me. And I wouldn't have spent so much time with people I know from before uni, I've hardly met anyone new. Would change who I sit with in lectures, and go to lunch with. I would go out more and make more effort to just invite myself places, and be less shy. I'd change just about everything really. Only thing I did right was choose the best course for me.
stay out later and go to more stuff with other students instead of staying in and going on TSR lol.
move into halls, spend less money on **** so i'm not languishing at the bottom of my overdraft with so much stuff to pay for and nothing to pay for it with.
Reply 7
New...Romantic
I would move into halls, living at home is ruining uni for me. And I wouldn't have spent so much time with people I know from before uni, I've hardly met anyone new. Would change who I sit with in lectures, and go to lunch with. I would go out more and make more effort to just invite myself places, and be less shy. I'd change just about everything really. Only thing I did right was choose the best course for me.

the things that i put most effort in my first year :biggrin: So why did you decide to change if you had the chance? care to share some of them :smile:
Reply 8
I think (since I didn't answer this myself) I would've not turned up to my one and only intro lecture in a mood and spent the entire hour looking around the classroom thinking about how much I didn't fit in. Also, I would've done a different course!
Reply 9
I would have tried to make a bit more of an effort to go out with my flatmates in fresher's week...oh and I should have tried to keep on top of all the work right from the very start and not let it all build up so much!
Reply 10
Actually not tried as hard with people, then when the initial wariness occured I wouldn't have become so bitter that everybody didn't love me. /melodrama
Reply 11
I would change nothing.
Reply 12
i'd have asked my family to stay in the country for a while longer before leaving me...im an international student...otherwise everything else is pretty awesome!
I would have waited for a place in halls or made more of an effort to spend time with my house mates. I'd also have done more of my work earlier on and gone over my notes.
I would have probably tried to talk to more people from my course. Most people i've met don't do my course so i'm a bit of a loner when i go to lectures.
I'm not a fresher but I hated my freshers week. I wish I hadn't been ill and so worried of what people would think of me (due to being ill) and gone out more and had fun.
Probably some of the following:
- Actually have a break in the summer (instead of working) so I'm not completely exhausted before even starting.
- Not worry too much about the work (even though we started getting assignments a few days in).
- Generally relax and be more forthcoming to people I haven't met before.
- Reverse my no-alcohol policy.
- Go out a few times.

Yeah, so quite a bit...
newman24x
the things that i put most effort in my first year :biggrin: So why did you decide to change if you had the chance? care to share some of them :smile:

Living at home's just rubbish, I have no freedom and the travelling takes ages. I feel like I haven't spoken to many new people, a lot of people on my course live in halls and so they spend a fair bit of time together. It's easier for them to go out as well, I can't cos I'd have to get the bus home myself and it's a bit dodgy.

I know a girl on my course from work, and she knew someone from school so we've ended up as a 'group'. I've stuck with them, and cos of that I haven't made as much effort with new people as I should have.

Basically what I would have done differently is rely less on what I knew, and would have taken more risks. I'm trying to get into halls now though, so fingers crossed :smile:
very little. i would have been less uptight in my first week or so but it went okay. i'd just have settled into a more sustainable work pattern, i'm not great at time management.
i wouldnt have eaten loadsa takeaway and choc and put on the freshers 15 in the first 2 weeks!

Latest

Trending

Trending