The Student Room Group

uni tips and what to know please

Could someone give me a rundown of everything they had to do to prepare for their first year of uni?

When do I pick my optional modules?

Parking at uni?

If it says the start date is the end of September do I need to be there before?

Collecting and doing the student cards?

Any tips whatsoever please.
Original post by princessxo10
Could someone give me a rundown of everything they had to do to prepare for their first year of uni?
Parking at uni?

Each uni does things slightly differently.
Parking at uni?
Hi @princessxo10,

In answer to your questions firstly every university does things a bit differently so maybe when you've decided on your top three or so you could look into how they do these things but I'm going to speak on how Edge Hill does this:

For my degree optional modules only became available in second year, I think we chose around March to give time in case there wasn't enough people doing a specific module so that you could choose a new option.

If you live on campus at Edge Hill you wouldn't get parking unless you meet specific circumstances otherwise I think most people get parking but I think it maybe goes to those who live further away first and then maybe if they have extras it goes to the others who live closer.

If you are living in accommodation I think most universities have you move the weekend before freshers/induction week so you would have a couple of days to get settled before it starts.

If you are meaning the student ID then you usually get that during freshers week and then for student discount stuff this usually just requires your university email address.

Hope that answers your questions, let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Parking at uni?
Hey there 😀

Choosing optional modules is highly dependent on your university and course. Typically, they will notify you when the time for selection approaches and provide instructions on how to proceed. In my Psychology programme, I only have to select optional modules for my third year. Recently, I have received an email informing me that the booking system will open in a few weeks, along with all the necessary information to make my module selections and successfully book them.

Regarding parking, it varies significantly between universities. Some may have limited spaces with specific requirements, while others may offer ample parking for a fee. I recommend contacting your university directly for clarification.

You can usually find an academic calendar on your university's website detailing exact start dates, reading weeks, and holiday breaks. Most universities also host an induction or orientation week for new students, typically starting a week before the official term begins. While attendance is often not mandatory, I suggest attending as it provides an opportunity to meet people, gain insight into your upcoming years, and understand expectations. Additionally, you will likely be able to collect your student ID from a designated location during the induction week. You can anticipate receiving an email addressing these two matters towards the end of August or the beginning of September.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Parking at uni?

@princessxo10

It would be advisable to turn up before the start date so that you can get settled in your new accommodation and so that you can begin to get familiar with where things are e.g. supermarkets, post office, bank, university buildings etc and can be ready for the start of lectures/Freshers' Week.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Parking at uni?
Hi there

I am not too sure about optional modules, these would depend on your University and course, but you are mostly likely to receive an email regarding this.

For some universities, you may have to request permission for parking spots, it is probably best if you had a look on the University's website for more information on this. :smile:

Usually the week before the start of University will be freshers week- which would allow for you to move in (if you are living on campus). Though you do not have to stay there during that week if you do not want to.

Collecting student cards will usually be the day you arrive on campus.

I would not worry too much about the enrolment processes too much. Once you receive your offer, your University should start sending further details and information about getting your student cards, details to moving to university, different module information etc. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Parking at uni?
Hi @princessxo10

For the optional modules, it's very different for each uni of course. I don't think you need to worry about choosing them before the start of term and lectures, because sometimes you will have an option to try out the module, for example attend one introductory lecture and see if you like it. Again, this is highly dependent on your uni but I'm sure they will let you know in due course.

For the start date, I would definitely advise you to search up their academic calendar, so that you are clear on all the starting dates. Usually, most unis have an induction week and I'm sure you will be informed about that. Keep an eye on your emails. Also, getting there will also depend on your accommodation, does the contract start earlier than your lectures? If it does, probably better to arrive there a bit earlier, to situate yourself and figure out all the important spots in town/city/on campus.

As for student ID cards, they are usually given out during induction or freshers week. For example, I had to upload my photo during the first week, and the ID was done in a week.

Hope this helps,
Milena
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk
Parking at uni?
Hi!
Your university will give you warning and advice when it is time to choose your optional modules.
Each university's parking information is different, I recommend either looking into it on your university's website or contacting an admin email and asking who you should contact in regards to this.
You do not need to be at the university before your start date however, the week before you start is freshers week and sometimes welcome talks are held during this week so contact your university and ask when this will take place, I recommend attending these.
Your university will advise you on where to collect your student ID card from when you arrive.

I hope this helps, Faye :smile:
Parking at uni?

Hi there!

Every university does this differently but this is how Sheffield Hallam does these things and out may be similar!

Firstly, we only got to pick our modules in second and third year and everybody just does the same in first year. We got an email telling us to do this so if it was something you needed to do, you would be told about it in advance so you wouldn't miss out on it.

For parking, if you are living in student halls, it is unlikely you will get a parking space, however some do offer this if you pay a certain amount per year. If you are going to a city based uni like Hallam, there may be parking in town near uni at a discounted rate for uni students.

It really depends where you are living in terms of when to arrive. It's worth looking into when your tenancy starts as this is the date you will be able to move in from. I would recommend, if you can, to move in before your course starts as there will be freshers week before this which is really fun and it's also good to get yourself settled in before your course starts!

For your student card, usually you can collect this in freshers week, or for Hallam we just applied for it and then it came in the post! It's very dependant on your university but you should get some guidance on this from them at some point before you start. If you are concerned about anything like this, there is usually an enquiries team you can email or call if you need support.

One tip that I have about moving into uni is to make your room as homely as possible - with pictures, blankets etc and things from home so that it feels like your own space and somewhere you like living! This helped me a lot with homesickness and made me feel a lot more at home :smile:

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Parking at uni?
There's no standard answer.

Some unis do not permit cars at all.

You maybe given specific move-in dates later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending