The Student Room Group

Kinda underwhelmed by Uni?

IDK, I moved in a while now and so far it isnt really that much fun. I don't feel lonely or homesick or anything but I also feel like nothings really happening, sure theres stuff going on but there isn't anyone I feel like I'd enjoy going to them with so instead im just in my room all day. My flatmates are nice and I dont mind being in my room all day, I just sortof feel like freshers wasn't really as exciting as it thought it would be (plus i dont drink so that dosent help). Is it normal for start to feel like this and it picks up once classes start or am I in the minority?
Reply 1
What precisely were your expectations?

It sounds like you were expecting (to quote Veruca Salt) pink macaroons, a million balloons and performing baboons.
(edited 6 months ago)
Being in your room all day doesn't sound fun much, I agree. Is there anything youbcan do to change that?
Reply 3
Original post by Trinculo
What precisely were your expectations?

It sounds like you were expecting (to quote Veruca Salt) pink macaroons, a million balloons and performing baboons.

IDK tbh, I just thought it would be easier to make friends and stuff considering i was really extraverted in college but its not really turned out that way
Reply 4
Original post by sailhorsegirl
Being in your room all day doesn't sound fun much, I agree. Is there anything youbcan do to change that?

I mean yeah I can go to events but most of them dont sound that fun and I'd usually only enjoy them if I had a good friend to properly do it with but I cant really make good friends in a few days
Original post by Anonymous
I mean yeah I can go to events but most of them dont sound that fun and I'd usually only enjoy them if I had a good friend to properly do it with but I cant really make good friends in a few days

It sounds like a chicken and egg thing - you could find a friend if you went to events, but you need to find a friend before you can go to events. What comes first, finding a friend or going to events? (for "events" you could also try "clubs", "societies" etc)
Reply 6
Original post by sailhorsegirl
It sounds like a chicken and egg thing - you could find a friend if you went to events, but you need to find a friend before you can go to events. What comes first, finding a friend or going to events? (for "events" you could also try "clubs", "societies" etc)

yeah it sucks which is why I want to the socieites to start up so I can start hanging out in places where I will actually share interests, I just sortof wanted to know if this is common during freshers to not really be finding your place yet
yeah it sucks which is why I want to the socieites to start up so I can start hanging out in places where I will actually share interests, I just sortof wanted to know if this is common during freshers to not really be finding your place yet

Yes, it's common i think. My sister met loads of people in freshers week and didn't make longlasting friends with any of them - freshers week was for getting out and finding whats on offer, the true friends come later but you have to be going out there amd meeting people first before you can find those that will become your true friends. It's a change like going to another country and starting again, more than just changing schools or anything because you haven't got teachers or school policies trying to help you so you have to just get put there and imagine you've got a teacher or someone saying "you should be doing this or that now". It will get easier!

Hi there,

Don't worry about not having made close friends in freshers - I don't think anyone I know has stayed with the same group they started with in freshers. It can take a while to find your people and they won't necessarily be the people you live with. It's great to hear you're looking forward to societies starting - they're a great place to meet like minded people and they organise lots of socials so you can all get together and meet with everyone. I really enjoyed freshers but I remember towards the end feeling a little lost and bored as there was nothing to do in the day but when lectures started it gave me a routine and also a bunch of new people to meet on my course. There's plenty more opportunities to meet people at uni it's not just restricted to freshers so I'd just try to relax and throw yourself into things as much as you can :smile:

Jess
IDK, I moved in a while now and so far it isnt really that much fun. I don't feel lonely or homesick or anything but I also feel like nothings really happening, sure theres stuff going on but there isn't anyone I feel like I'd enjoy going to them with so instead im just in my room all day. My flatmates are nice and I dont mind being in my room all day, I just sortof feel like freshers wasn't really as exciting as it thought it would be (plus i dont drink so that dosent help). Is it normal for start to feel like this and it picks up once classes start or am I in the minority?

Hi there,

It is quite normal not to have made close friends during freshers week. (It is really difficult considering people may not have similar hobbies/interests. Close friendships take time to develop, you're not in the minority, don't worry! :smile:)

Most people I know made close friends from societies and their courses. Societies are a great way to meet new people with similar hobbies, there will often be fresher's icebreaking events which would help you to get to know others. So definitely try out some societies and enjoy the University experience.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hiya,

It's completely normal to feel this way, that's actually how I felt during Freshers. What really helped me is making friends within my course and signing up to different events and socials. I never had anyone to go with, but that's precisely how you find someone that you can become good friends with and go to events/socials with later on. It does take a bit of time but eventually you will get the hang of it, it took me two terms but it's obviously different for each individual.

Hope this helps and best of luck :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Hey there!

I can totally understand how you feel. Moving to a new place can be both exciting and overwhelming, and it's completely normal to have mixed emotions about it. Don't worry, you're not alone!

While it may seem like nothing much is happening right now, trust me, things will pick up once classes start. You'll meet new people with similar interests and make connections that will make your university experience even more enjoyable. And hey, who knows, maybe you'll find someone to join you in those events you mentioned!

Being in your room all day is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're comfortable and have nice flatmates. But don't hesitate to step out of your comfort zone and explore the campus and the city. There's so much to discover and experience!

You don't have to drink to have fun in freshers! There are plenty of activities and events that don't revolve around alcohol. Embrace your unique interests and find like-minded people who share them. You might be surprised by the amazing connections you can make.

Give it some time, stay open to new experiences, and I'm sure you'll soon find your people. Remember, you're not alone, and there's a whole world of opportunities waiting for you. Enjoy your journey and make the most of this exciting chapter in your life!

Good luck,

Ilya:biggrin:

Hi there,

Please know that how your feeling right now is normal and it can take time to settle into University life. Have you thought about joining a club or society, you should be able to view and learn more about what's available on your Students' Union page. This is a great way to meet people who have the same interests as you. Another great way to get more involved and meet people is by becoming a student ambassador where you can get paid to help out at various events happening at your University.

You got this, best of luck, :smile:
Sarah

Freshers can feel underwhelming at times, especially if you've built it up in your head. Things will certainly pick up once classes start but if you're looking to add more to your routine, id definitely recommend joining a club or society. It'll give you something else to do during the week and introduce you to a new group of people of which you'll already have common ground. Have you thought about doing more with your flatmates too? Maybe cooking together once a week or arranging a film night?
Lots of good advice / comments above

A part of starting Uni is about taking personal accountability for things: your health / food; your studies; your social time / extra curricula stuff, your washing, your career etc etc. Some folks find all that quite challenging, you see to have taken it in your stride :smile:

Everyone is different and has different needs but IMO its important to be honest with yourself about what you need and how you will meet those needs, be they social, academic, spiritual or whatever. If you are content with this too, then that's probably okay too :smile:

I made a couple of friends quite quickly early in my first term, they weren't "great friends" but we helped each other settle in and we then kind of drifted apart - my top tip, don't be afraid to allow friendships to wane if they aren't working for you

I eventually ended up with a friendship group that I still keep in touch with to this day (many years later). There are no guarantees in life but Uni does significantly increase your likelihood of success when it comes to finding new friends, new experiences etc
IDK tbh, I just thought it would be easier to make friends and stuff considering i was really extraverted in college but its not really turned out that way

You mentioned that you didn’t feel like you had anyone to go to any of the events with. Going to events with randomly people is precisely how you make friends with people at uni. Even if you go alone as long as you make an effort to chat to people that’s how you make friends. It’s important to remember that you knew your college friends for ages. You’ve know uni people for a few weeks. Give it time and effort. Societies are also great options!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending