The Student Room Group

choosing A level options - please give some advice 😓

I'm wondering if choosing economics, sociology and graphic communication would be a safe option for someone who doesn't know what to do in the future , though will probably do marketing
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by noqynh
I'm wondering if choosing economics, sociology and graphic communication would be a safe option for someone who doesn't know what to do in the future , though will probably do marketing

None of the subjects you have picked are required subjects. Graphic communication is also not an academic subject, so even if you have an A* in it, the top end universities might not favour it as a subject especially for competitive courses.

If you want to go into marketing, you need exactly zero qualifications to get in. Doing the CIM would be infinitely be more beneficial than any degree or A Level/BTEC.
If you want to get into a marketing degree (ideally something accredited by the CIM if you intend to only go into industry), then you can do it with A Levels or IB in any subject. Acceptance of BTECs and Access can vary from uni to uni, so you would need to check to be sure.

If you want to really play it safe, you can do 3 sciences + maths and be eligible for most degrees and apprenticeships outside of college and uni. However, if you don't intend to do anything that is related to or require STEM subjects, this is kind of redundant.

I think it's going to be easier if you would describe the sort of day and the sort of job that you could see yourself doing day in day out without getting bored. At the very least, say what you specifically don't want to do would significantly help narrow things down. If you need help in this area, let me know.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by noqynh

Maths, Economics and Sociology would enable you to study Law, Sociology, Politics and Geography at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QMUL, RHUL, City and many others. 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
None of the subjects you have picked are required subjects. Graphic communication is also not an academic subject, so even if you have an A* in it, the top end universities might not favour it as a subject especially for competitive courses.

If you want to go into marketing, you need exactly zero qualifications to get in. Doing the CIM would be infinitely be more beneficial than any degree or A Level/BTEC.
If you want to get into a marketing degree (ideally something accredited by the CIM if you intend to only go into industry), then you can do it with A Levels or IB in any subject. Acceptance of BTECs and Access can vary from uni to uni, so you would need to check to be sure.

If you want to really play it safe, you can do 3 sciences + maths and be eligible for most degrees and apprenticeships outside of college and uni. However, if you don't intend to do anything that is related to or require STEM subjects, this is kind of redundant.

I think it's going to be easier if you would describe the sort of day and the sort of job that you could see yourself doing day in day out without getting bored. At the very least, say what you specifically don't want to do would significantly help narrow things down. If you need help in this area, let me know.

Thank you for your advise, i'd specifically don't want to do any sciences through i don't mind biology, as for mathematical subjects i don't mind doing either accounting or statistics, ive decided upon economics, psychology and am having trouble deciding on another subject which would allow me to a business related degree.
Original post by noqynh
Thank you for your advise, i'd specifically don't want to do any sciences through i don't mind biology, as for mathematical subjects i don't mind doing either accounting or statistics, ive decided upon economics, psychology and am having trouble deciding on another subject which would allow me to a business related degree.

Business related degrees generally don't require you to have any specific subjects at A Level. The only possible exceptions are economics, business analysis/mathematics, and finance/financial mathematics degrees (these would generally require A Level Maths, and they use a fair amount of maths compared to the other degrees).

You won't need Accounting A Level or Statistics A Level for any degree (in fact, they don't really help other than giving you the necesssary grade).

If you don't intend to do a degree in economics, finance, or business analysis/maths, then you're fine to pick whatever subject that you want or you can get the highest grade in.

If you don't intend to go into STEM, then not doing any science A Level won't be an issue.
Original post by noqynh

As others have said, Business courses often don't ask for any specific A levels, so I'd consider the subjects you enjoy the most atm, and pick one of those as an option - would guarantee you have an A level you'll really enjoy!
Reply 6
Original post by noqynh

Economics, psychology and maths would keep your options open. Maths would lend itself well to finance degrees and if you did change your mind you could do either a science or humanities degree as some universities consider psychology a science degree. I say this as someone who did 3 essay subjects but then decided i wanted to do either neuroscience or medicine. I do economics and it is great, maths is a solid a-level too. Whatever you chose it is your decision and i wish you the best of luck.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by noqynh

I agree as any other subject you believe you'd be good at and enjoy would be fine. However, if you're interested in the following:

Maths would open up STEM (engineering and computing) fields

English Literature (or Language and Literature combined) would open up English Lit (& with philosophy/econ) and journalism fields

Quick Reply

Latest