The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Biology at Swansea vs Conservation Biology & Ecology at Exeter Penryn

I've just completed my first year at Swansea Uni studying Biology but just received an offer in clearing for a year two entry onto Conservation Biology & Ecology at Exeter Penryn.

My interests lie in further study, ultimately heading to a research role, working for a conservation group like the RSPB, or working in a herbarium/museum. I'm undecided at the moment and might ultimately jump between the three.

I have no ties to Swansea and don't like cities, so Penryn is appealing in that sense. However, I fear that the Exeter course is potentially less appealing when continuing in academia or applying for jobs outside of conservation work as it's not as academic sounding as straight biology.

Do you think that is a justified stance? If this is the case, I can't work out if a better uni with a worse course is better than a worse uni with a better course!
Original post by AMc11
I've just completed my first year at Swansea Uni studying Biology but just received an offer in clearing for a year two entry onto Conservation Biology & Ecology at Exeter Penryn.

My interests lie in further study, ultimately heading to a research role, working for a conservation group like the RSPB, or working in a herbarium/museum. I'm undecided at the moment and might ultimately jump between the three.

I have no ties to Swansea and don't like cities, so Penryn is appealing in that sense. However, I fear that the Exeter course is potentially less appealing when continuing in academia or applying for jobs outside of conservation work as it's not as academic sounding as straight biology.

Do you think that is a justified stance? If this is the case, I can't work out if a better uni with a worse course is better than a worse uni with a better course!

I cannot answer regarding the courses but it would be a biology degree from Exeter. It wont say Penryn. A ll Penryn courses are given the same degree as those from Exeter.

I am from the Swansea area and my son has just spent time at Penryn. Just so you understand where you are going to Penryn isnt much bigger than Killay. Falmouth is bigger about 4 miles away but is still about the size of Neath.

Please visit to make sure it is for you. The other issue is how far Penryn is from practically everywhere. It is 2 hours by car from Exeter and over 3 hours by train. If you live almost anywhere else you are taking 6 hours there and back. Make sure if you intend going there you visit first to ensure it is for you.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
I cannot answer regarding the courses but it would be a biology degree from Exeter. It wont say Penryn. A ll Penryn courses are given the same degree as those from Exeter.

I am from the Swansea area and my son has just spent time at Penryn. Just so you understand where you are going to Penryn isnt much bigger than Killay. Falmouth is bigger about 4 miles away but is still about the size of Neath.

Please visit to make sure it is for you. The other issue is how far Penryn is from practically everywhere. It is 2 hours by car from Exeter and over 3 hours by train. If you live almost anywhere else you are taking 6 hours there and back. Make sure if you intend going there you visit first to ensure it is for you.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually from the southwest, so I somewhat know the area, and it's not any further from family than Swansea is already, though it does look like train routes are complex!
I like the sound of both courses, so I'm ultimately trying to work out if one could open more doors than the other
Original post by AMc11

Hi AMc11,

That's really exciting - congratulations on your offer! I graduated from my biology degree last year (now pursuing further study), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous of the Conservation Biology and Ecology course!:biggrin: I've also volunteered for the RSPB, and it seems like such a lovely job:smile: My friend also did a placement year at the National Botanical Garden of Wales which has a herbarium.

Making decisions can be hard when you're undecided, but I'd say if you're leaning a certain way in terms of passion and happiness, then to go for that. I knew a few people who studied the Conservation Biology and Ecology course at Penryn and they had so many cool stories to tell about fieldwork (mainly what made me jealous:smile:).

I understand your concerns as having a more general biology degree might be more transferable to different fields. However, it does appear that you have a liking to conservation/ecology, and so the Penryn course might be ideal for you! If you have a look at the course page, and scroll down it has a list of what recent graduates have gone onto do. Some go into further study (MRes, MSc, PhD) and others work as conservation professionals, environmental professionals, or biological scientists. They even go into very different fields like web design. The skills you could learn on the course can open doors to a wide variety of career paths. Also, if you enjoy fieldwork, there seems to be lots of exciting opportunities there too.

It's hard to know which choice would 'open more doors', and I would be very biased if I urged you to come to Exeter. So as I said earlier, doing a course that aligns more with your career goals and what makes you happy (in my opinion) would be the best choice.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, then please don't hesitate to reach out!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending