The Student Room Group

Work experience for Science research- Studying Biomedical Sciences

Hello lovely people,
I am in Year 11 and am looking for any work experience to become a scientist focusing on Biomedical...Any advices are helpful...
So I have no idea where I can apply...I found many places for healthcare work experience but I guess I need something more lab related...Please help!
Thank you!!!!
You dont need 'work experience' for a Biomed degree.
You can try hopsitals, surgeries or pharmacies - but if that doesnt work, just get something you will enjoy doing, even its not directly relevant to Biomed.
If your in the east mids theres a place called Bio City in Nottingham. My daughter did a work experience there and it was in bio chem.
https://www.studentladder.co.uk/job/gsk-work-experience-placements-in-rd-it-and-lab-based/ brentford, harlow and essex. Perhaps somewhere like boots maybe?
Reply 3
Original post by Ghostlady
If your in the east mids theres a place called Bio City in Nottingham. My daughter did a work experience there and it was in bio chem.
https://www.studentladder.co.uk/job/gsk-work-experience-placements-in-rd-it-and-lab-based/ brentford, harlow and essex. Perhaps somewhere like boots maybe?

do bio city offer work experience for year 10?
Reply 4

do biocity offer work experiene for year 10
Reply 5
Original post by bingbongif
do bio city offer work experience for year 10?

Not sure about a year 10. She was in year 12 when she did it. Still worth getting in contact in case they do for a year 10 student :smile:
Reply 6
Not sure about a year 10. She was in year 12 when she did it. Still worth getting in contact in case they do for a year 10 student :smile:

oh ok thankyou ive enailed two of the companies who are based in biocity, which one specifcally did your daughter do?
Reply 7
oh ok thankyou ive enailed two of the companies who are based in biocity, which one specifcally did your daughter do?

Sorry I cant remember the name. It was organised by an aquaintance who was also a member of the astronomical society in nottingham who we used to chat to and he sorted it for us. He now works in Cambridge so im not sure who it was with, but it was more with the Chemistry side than the bio.You have done the right thing by mailing them both :smile:
Reply 8
Sorry I cant remember the name. It was organised by an aquaintance who was also a member of the astronomical society in nottingham who we used to chat to and he sorted it for us. He now works in Cambridge so im not sure who it was with, but it was more with the Chemistry side than the bio.You have done the right thing by mailing them both :smile:

Ok thankyou so much for your help I appreciate it
Do you have the email information of the two companies as I cannot find any contact information from biocity and medicity, thank you.
Original post by srija08
Hello lovely people,
I am in Year 11 and am looking for any work experience to become a scientist focusing on Biomedical...Any advices are helpful...
So I have no idea where I can apply...I found many places for healthcare work experience but I guess I need something more lab related...Please help!
Thank you!!!!

Hi! Im a 2nd year biomedical student! My comments may be controversial but hear me out 😂 im 26 now and i came to university when i was 24. Before that, since 18, i worked in care homes for 2 years & then progressed to the NHS as a health care support worker for five years. Ive always wanted to be a biomedical scientist but i also wanted a feel for different areas, make some money & get my foot in the door with the NHS. My experience of the degree & how well i do is different to my friends who have just come from college. Since ive started, ive done so much work expirence I’ve developed relationships with alot of the head of departments at my local hospital, got a placement year & may possibly already have a job lined up for when i do graduate. I strongly recommend going and getting a job in a care home (short term or long term) or volunteer at your local hospital where you can build some experience and show potential employers that you are dedicated to health care as a whole and you will stand out from your peers. A key part of biomedical is that although we dont deal with patients directly, there is still a worried person behind every sample & that mind set will make you stand out! Ive learnt along my journey that in this industry, you may know it all but your success depends on the connections you can make and maintain. I hope this helps!
Original post by lionleader_
Do you have the email information of the two companies as I cannot find any contact information from biocity and medicity, thank you.

bio cirty and medi city are part of the pioneer group so on there website there is a list of the compaNnies that have lab sace within biocity and medicity if you just click on them there is a link to their individual web pages which has all the contact details. majority of the time when i emailed customer service/ enquiries they didnt reply after 3-5 months so unless you have connections within the labs youre emailing i wouldnt get your hopes up
https://thepioneergroup.com/companies/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending