The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) it's mixed equally, freshers, returners and postgrads
2) if you request to be in a flat with returners, then they'll try their best for you. However it's quite random, although in my experience, as a returner you'll probably have returner flat mates with maybe 1 or 2 freshers.
3) If anyone applies early, they'll get a room. there's no preference to anyone.
4) flat sizes depend on where you live. it can be anything from 4-8 people.
5) Yes. If you want to go self catered, want to be a bit more independent, want somewhere close to uni then broadgate is good.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I heard from a second year that a group of them had asked UPP for a flat together, and got it. Not sure how easy this is but it might be worth trying :smile:
Reply 3
My friends sister stayed there last year and loved it. You're right next to the Indigo bus route (used to be R5) to the centre of town, short walk to the university (it's across the roundabout) and Beeston, and there's a Spar or some other food shop nearby. :biggrin:

The flats normally have 5 or 6 in them, and they have a nice atmosphere, although there are a lot of International students, so there may possibly be language barriers (not sure), and also they're more likely to take up flats in the later years. :p:
Reply 4
Correction: It is not made up of a lot of international students.
It is also correct that if you've got a friend or bunch of you who want to live in the same flat, you can request this on the application form and you'll more than likely be allowed. (Obviously if the flat is already occupied then there's nothing they can do).
Reply 5
La Trampa: This sounds good! When would you recommend completing the application by?
(Sorry, I know nothing about accomodation deadlines and whatnot for 2nd year... if there's somewhere you can direct me to that would be really helpful!)
Reply 6
As soon as you can. The earlier you submit your request, the more time and spaces they have so they'll probably be able to do it for you. I'd say no later than the end of February.
They do give a bit of preference to current returning broadgate occupants who want to maybe keep the same room they have or live with friends and the forms usually go around by xmas, so yeh, as soon as you can.
Reply 7
Broadgate park is owned/run by nottingham uni accomadation isn't it? I am currently in catered, but would perfer to go self catered, if I asked accomadation about moving at Xmas would they sort the fees refund out and find a person to take my current room or would they not get involved in this sort of thing. I imagine I would have to pay fees for my current accom. until someone took the room, but would accom. services get involved with paying money to me or would they say sort it out with the person taking over the room? (I imagine the latter as I have seen a few posters up advertising rooms in BGP which are nothing to do with accom. services)
Reply 8
geo3
Broadgate park is owned/run by nottingham uni accomadation isn't it? I am currently in catered, but would perfer to go self catered, if I asked accomadation about moving at Xmas would they sort the fees refund out and find a person to take my current room or would they not get involved in this sort of thing. I imagine I would have to pay fees for my current accom. until someone took the room, but would accom. services get involved with paying money to me or would they say sort it out with the person taking over the room? (I imagine the latter as I have seen a few posters up advertising rooms in BGP which are nothing to do with accom. services)

No BGP is not run by UoN. They are run by a company called UPP.

But in terms of moving room, the Uni should be able to organise a room switch even though BGP is not owned/run by them. One of my friends did the opposite last year - he moved from BGP to Florence Boot without any problems. All he had to do was find a person who wanted his room but did not want their room and wanted to switch.

I'm not sure what exactly happens in terms of the money and stuff. I guess you'll receive a refund if you paid all of your accommodation fees up front because if you're going for a single study at BGP I'm pretty sure that it is cheaper than staying in catered halls on University Park.

Try asking someone who works for UoN Accommodation Services itself.
Reply 9
geo3

Hey, I was planning on doing the exact same thing as you! You need to go to the accomodation office (er, between LASS and Portland, if that makes any sense at all...) and ask for a transfer form, fill it out and get your warden to sign it, and then take it back to the accomodation office. Then, if there's someone at Broadgate wanting to switch to halls, they can arrange a transfer. I'm not sure what they do about money; I should imagine it's just switching the contracts so you'd need to inform your bank to change the mandate. Good luck!
there's a £50 administration fee for transfers.
If there's a difference in room fees, you'll either be refunded or have to pay the rest of it.
Reply 11
I applied for BGP through the university accommodation system this morning, but I heard there's an application form on the BGP website? Do I have to do this one as well/instead?
Reply 12
Amy_13
I applied for BGP through the university accommodation system this morning, but I heard there's an application form on the BGP website? Do I have to do this one as well/instead?

I doubt it. I think the one on the BGP website if for people who aren't at Nottingham University and want to stay at BGP.

If you've received confirmation that your application for BGP through Uni accommodation went through, then you won't have to apply for it all over again on the BGP website.

If you're really worried about it, give BGP or the accommodation services a call to double check.
geoff_yin
I doubt it. I think the one on the BGP website if for people who aren't at Nottingham University and want to stay at BGP.

If you've received confirmation that your application for BGP through Uni accommodation went through, then you won't have to apply for it all over again on the BGP website.

If you're really worried about it, give BGP or the accommodation services a call to double check.

Are applications for both halls and Broadgate both on the same UoN application form? Becasue I applied for halls but now I want to change :s-smilie::
Reply 14
thetopnotch
Are applications for both halls and Broadgate both on the same UoN application form? Becasue I applied for halls but now I want to change :s-smilie::

I assume so as the person I was replying to said that they filled in the form from Uni accommodation services applying to BGP.
geoff_yin
I assume so as the person I was replying to said that they filled in the form from Uni accommodation services applying to BGP.

Oh cool, ifound the online application form for Broadgate so i think i should be able to apply for both or drop one
I applied to BGP tooday but via their website... I couldnt find the application form for returners through Notts Hospitality site but they said it'd be fine as I'd told them I was a returner via the online form.
Reply 17
Thinking over an offer from Nottingham but this is probably my preference for accomodation if I go (of the accomodation I saw on the open day this was easily my favourite). I'd want an ensuite room. How likely would those be to get taken up or do I have plenty of time to mull over my decision?
Reply 18
sv90
Thinking over an offer from Nottingham but this is probably my preference for accomodation if I go (of the accomodation I saw on the open day this was easily my favourite). I'd want an ensuite room. How likely would those be to get taken up or do I have plenty of time to mull over my decision?

If you have a chance to apply ASAP, you should do so as your chances of getting the exact room you want does diminish the longer you leave it.
Reply 19
Yea of course but I don't want to make an overly quick decision on my uni choices just so I can a preferred accomodation in Notts. Am I right in thinking I'd have to firm Notts before I can apply for accomodation?

Latest

Trending

Trending