The Student Room Group

What is the best degree/route for me to go down?

So my background, I am 24 I have pretty good GCSE's (Mostly A's) whilst my A levels are more like D's/under and I have an Access Course with 24 credits. I have previously worked in a Hospital as a Health Care Assistant, I've been a carer and I've volunteered with Disabled Children.

I also wanted to get into film so have also managed to stock up on knowledge from that industry, meeting a lot of people and things from Runner to Writer (hopefully Director soon with a short lil piece I'm doing) and my most recent experience as a Location Marshall with Apple TV which was pretty cool for a month.

Now I'm trying to decide what I want and bare in mind I have a lot of gaps due to my bad mental health which has been classed as a disability. I initially wanted to go into Occupational Therapy and maybe an Apprenticeship degree combine both my health care love and my creative love. But any other suggestions? I feel like i should know what my career path should be by now but I also want something solid for the future.

My dad who recently came back into my life wants me to do Accounting/Finance (what he did) as he thinks its a career that I can excel in even though my Maths (D A level) was a long time ago but I think he's flexible if I have a plan which I do not. My dream was to create my own business and create content that can inspire and impact people's lives as I do have a lot of life experience (currently homeless). So yeah looking for suggestions... I don't want it to be too late and regret that I didn't go to uni even though I've been preaching how u don't need it to be successful lol I've got lot of self doubt. Also I'll probably have to do another access course ;( Solve the riddle...
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bluemadhatter
So my background, I am 24 I have pretty good GCSE's (Mostly A's) whilst my A levels are more like D's/under and I have an Access Course with 24 credits. I have previously worked in a Hospital as a Health Care Assistant, I've been a carer and I've volunteered with Disabled Children.

I also wanted to get into film so have also managed to stock up on knowledge from that industry, meeting a lot of people and things from Runner to Writer (hopefully Director soon with a short lil piece I'm doing) and my most recent experience as a Location Marshall with Apple TV which was pretty cool for a month.

Now I'm trying to decide what I want and bare in mind I have a lot of gaps due to my bad mental health which has been classed as a disability. I initially wanted to go into Occupational Therapy and maybe an Apprenticeship degree combine both my health care love and my creative love. But any other suggestions? I feel like i should know what my career path should be by now but I also want something solid for the future.

My dad who recently came back into my life wants me to do Accounting/Finance (what he did) as he thinks its a career that I can excel in even though my Maths (D A level) was a long time ago but I think he's flexible if I have a plan which I do not. My dream was to create my own business and create content that can inspire and impact people's lives as I do have a lot of life experience (currently homeless). So yeah looking for suggestions... I don't want it to be too late and regret that I didn't go to uni even though I've been preaching how u don't need it to be successful lol I've got lot of self doubt. Also I'll probably have to do another access course ;( Solve the riddle...

Not sure where to begin with this.

I have categorise your interests into 4 areas:

Film related

Occupational Therapy

Accounting/finsnce

Business and content creation

If you are looking to do degrees in all areas, you will likely rack up an unncessarily expensive bill. Under ELQ policies, you are eligible to get student finance for your first bachelor's/master's/PhD. Any subsequent bachelor's/master's/PhD, you will need to pay for yourself, usually at costs higher than the standard home student fees. In other words, don't go for degrees you don't need to do just for the sake of doing them.

You can find the entry requirements of specific jobs on the following website: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

Out of all the jobs that you have listed, only occupational therapy will require a degree. See the following: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/occupational-therapist. How you do this is up to you; either do an apprenticeship degree or get it funded whilst you work as an assistant. The list of apporved degrees for this job can be found on the following webpage: https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/approved-programmes-results/?Professions=270450007&ProviderQueryString=&IntakeModes=Open. Unless you intend to work abroad, the above will apply for occupational therapy.
If your Access course already contains at least 15 credits in biology and you have adequately high grades in the diploma, you should already be fine for occupational therapy degrees.

You would only need the relevant skills to go into film. If you want to become an independent film maker, you would need the equipment. I have friends who did something similar (some with degrees, others without).

You don't need an accounting or finance degree to work in accounting or finance. You will need the relevant professional qualification for the specific role that you want to apply for, and each role is not really transferrable i.e. a qualification in welath management cannot be used for you to act as a mortgage advisor or as an accountant. If you want a complete list of suitable qualifications for the specific role that you want to apply for, National Careers can be good, but you can also look at FCA's handbook: https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/TC/App/4/1.html
Most degrees would not be of help in securing a job in accounting or finance. Also, professional qualifications are usually significantly cheaper than doing a degree e,g. you can self fund your accounting studies for about £5000, but you would never need to if you work for an employer who would fund your studies.
Also, despite popular opinion, there are only a handful of quantitative roles in accounting and finance (e.g. quants, actuary). Most of the time, you're focusing on people skills and knowing straightforward maths (adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying; if you're lucky, you might get a situation where you need to use the occasional logarithm, linear programming, or stats).
Do note that the professional qualifications will follow the NVQ system, and that could mean that it will subject you to the ELQ policies but I would check with Student Finance first.

I cannot deny that having an accounting/bookkeeping qualification will help you with a business, but it's strictly not necessary in order to operate a business. I think with your situation, your most prominent issue is the marketing side of things (you won't need a marketing qualification - degree or professional qualification - just the knowledge). You will need additional business knowledge, but I would argue that you would not need a degree in business in order to know what you're doing (you can gain the knowledge via A Level business, mentorship, CIMA's BA certificate, decent online courses, etc.).
Should you desire to go and study for a marketing qualification, the qualifications can likely follow the NVQ system and you again might be subjected to ELQ policies. The qualification I would recommend to get would be in digital marketing with CIM, IDM, or IPA. However, there are also marketing courses that aren't professional qualifications or degrees, but you should do your due diligence on these.
I don't know what specific content you are trying to create e.g. video, blogs, books, audio, etc. However, I would think your biggest expense would be getting the necessary equipment for your content creation, quickly followed by any freelancers you intend to employ.

Should you decide to switch careers, you're very likely be able to, but you might have some difficulty if you want to go into healthcare later without having the relevant degree as your first degree. i.e. you can go into film, accounting, finance, business with an occupational therapy degree, but you cannot go into occupational therapy without a relevant and approved degree.

If for any random reason you want to do degrees in any subject that's not related to science and healthcare, you should be able to do them with the biology related Access diploma.
No, it's strictly speaking never too late to do anything. For one, universities don't bias what age students apply. The industries that you apply to for work might though (although they legally cannot do that).

If you have any further thoughts on the above, I would be able to add more to my response.

Also, good luck on your situation. I appreciate that it's not easy.
Original post by MindMax2000
Not sure where to begin with this.

I have categorise your interests into 4 areas:

Film related

Occupational Therapy

Accounting/finsnce

Business and content creation

If you are looking to do degrees in all areas, you will likely rack up an unncessarily expensive bill. Under ELQ policies, you are eligible to get student finance for your first bachelor's/master's/PhD. Any subsequent bachelor's/master's/PhD, you will need to pay for yourself, usually at costs higher than the standard home student fees. In other words, don't go for degrees you don't need to do just for the sake of doing them.

You can find the entry requirements of specific jobs on the following website: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

Out of all the jobs that you have listed, only occupational therapy will require a degree. See the following: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/occupational-therapist. How you do this is up to you; either do an apprenticeship degree or get it funded whilst you work as an assistant. The list of apporved degrees for this job can be found on the following webpage: https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/approved-programmes-results/?Professions=270450007&ProviderQueryString=&IntakeModes=Open. Unless you intend to work abroad, the above will apply for occupational therapy.
If your Access course already contains at least 15 credits in biology and you have adequately high grades in the diploma, you should already be fine for occupational therapy degrees.

You would only need the relevant skills to go into film. If you want to become an independent film maker, you would need the equipment. I have friends who did something similar (some with degrees, others without).

You don't need an accounting or finance degree to work in accounting or finance. You will need the relevant professional qualification for the specific role that you want to apply for, and each role is not really transferrable i.e. a qualification in welath management cannot be used for you to act as a mortgage advisor or as an accountant. If you want a complete list of suitable qualifications for the specific role that you want to apply for, National Careers can be good, but you can also look at FCA's handbook: https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/TC/App/4/1.html
Most degrees would not be of help in securing a job in accounting or finance. Also, professional qualifications are usually significantly cheaper than doing a degree e,g. you can self fund your accounting studies for about £5000, but you would never need to if you work for an employer who would fund your studies.
Also, despite popular opinion, there are only a handful of quantitative roles in accounting and finance (e.g. quants, actuary). Most of the time, you're focusing on people skills and knowing straightforward maths (adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying; if you're lucky, you might get a situation where you need to use the occasional logarithm, linear programming, or stats).
Do note that the professional qualifications will follow the NVQ system, and that could mean that it will subject you to the ELQ policies but I would check with Student Finance first.

I cannot deny that having an accounting/bookkeeping qualification will help you with a business, but it's strictly not necessary in order to operate a business. I think with your situation, your most prominent issue is the marketing side of things (you won't need a marketing qualification - degree or professional qualification - just the knowledge). You will need additional business knowledge, but I would argue that you would not need a degree in business in order to know what you're doing (you can gain the knowledge via A Level business, mentorship, CIMA's BA certificate, decent online courses, etc.).
Should you desire to go and study for a marketing qualification, the qualifications can likely follow the NVQ system and you again might be subjected to ELQ policies. The qualification I would recommend to get would be in digital marketing with CIM, IDM, or IPA. However, there are also marketing courses that aren't professional qualifications or degrees, but you should do your due diligence on these.
I don't know what specific content you are trying to create e.g. video, blogs, books, audio, etc. However, I would think your biggest expense would be getting the necessary equipment for your content creation, quickly followed by any freelancers you intend to employ.

Should you decide to switch careers, you're very likely be able to, but you might have some difficulty if you want to go into healthcare later without having the relevant degree as your first degree. i.e. you can go into film, accounting, finance, business with an occupational therapy degree, but you cannot go into occupational therapy without a relevant and approved degree.

If for any random reason you want to do degrees in any subject that's not related to science and healthcare, you should be able to do them with the biology related Access diploma.
No, it's strictly speaking never too late to do anything. For one, universities don't bias what age students apply. The industries that you apply to for work might though (although they legally cannot do that).

If you have any further thoughts on the above, I would be able to add more to my response.

Also, good luck on your situation. I appreciate that it's not easy.
Wow I can't believe I never responded to this, I'm so sorry! I wanted to thank you for putting in the time and effort into breaking things down for me like this, it really helped with someone of the decisions I made. I started a foundation course and will be finishing in May. I will then be starting OT in September at a University I am really happy about (just got an offer!) 🙂 I am still involved in my film things but I will also try and make an effort to write more so I can get funding for equipment etc. I think I will be leaving the finance/accounting to others but I am considering creating a blog as a form of a business... We will see what happens anyway but I just wanted to thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending