The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc applicant: How big is a 0.03 grade gap?

Hello, everybody!

Well, I am appplying to MSc Genomic Medicine Programme. I graduated in Brazil (Medicine) at a highly-competitive public university and my grade was 8.47 (0 to 10 scale).
As it is stated in country-specific requirements, it is advisable to contact the department to ask if there is any specific grade requirement.
I sent an e-mail a couple days ago, and got a response quite like 'we ask a 7.5 minimum from elite schools. From yours, a 8.0 is what we ask. You are eligible, but keep in mind that the programme favours grades higher than 8.5.'

Now, how critical it is to be 0.03 away from the 'desirable'? Should I still apply? Was that a polite 'no'? I was not expecting to be 'lacking academically'. :/
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, everybody!

Well, I am appplying to MSc Genomic Medicine Programme. I graduated in Brazil (Medicine) at a highly-competitive public university and my grade was 8.47 (0 to 10 scale).
As it is stated in country-specific requirements, it is advisable to contact the department to ask if there is any specific grade requirement.
I sent an e-mail a couple days ago, and got a response quite like 'we ask a 7.5 minimum from elite schools. From yours, a 8.0 is what we ask. You are eligible, but keep in mind that the programme favours grades higher than 8.5.'

Now, how critical it is to be 0.03 away from the 'desirable'? Should I still apply? Was that a polite 'no'? I was not expecting to be 'lacking academically'. :/

I wouldn't read that as a "polite 'no'".

I'd read that as a, "You meet the grade requirement and should therefore apply. However, note that if we have candidates with grades higher than 8.5 and if there is limited space, then they may get a offer instead of you - unless you can convince us via your personal statement (or otherwise) that you are a better candidate than they are."

The only way to guarantee not getting an offer, is not to apply.

BTW, do they ask for your grade to two decimal places? Could you not round it to one? :wink:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by DataVenia
I wouldn't read that as a "polite 'no'".

I'd read that as a, "You meet the grade requirement and should therefore apply. However, note that if we have candidates with grades higher than 8.5 and if there is limited space, then they may get a offer instead of you - unless you can convince us via your personal statement (or otherwise) that you are a better candidate than they are."

The only way to guarantee not getting an offer, is not to apply.

BTW, do they ask for your grade to two decimal places? Could you not round it to one? :wink:

Well, I sent them the grade written in my transcripts. So I can round it to one? Oh my!
Just received another e-mail from Admissions Staff: 'do not forget that we take applications on a case by case basis. We are competitive but we will judge you base on your merit.'
Can't say that this one was a relief, hehe.
Thanks! :smile:
Hello, everybody!

Sorry for asking how was the interview?what did they ask you? I really want to apply to the same course
Reply 4
Sorry for asking how was the interview?what did they ask you? I really want to apply to the same course

Hey!
It's me. Can you DM me, please? I'll gladly help you.
Original post by Heinze
Hey!
It's me. Can you DM me, please? I'll gladly help you.

I am so sorry,i cannot dm you yet because i am a member of the room from a couple of days and they do not allow me to
Reply 6
Original post by lollobarcollo
I am so sorry,i cannot dm you yet because i am a member of the room from a couple of days and they do not allow me to

Well, basically, the interview panel will ask you about your motivation to apply, why you chose Imperial, why you want that course, etc. Then, you'll have to argue on the paper they sent you previously. Finally, the panel will ask about a research proposal you'd like to after coursework.
Guess that's it. Good luck! Let us know if you managed to get approved.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending