The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Italian is a beautiful language, revising my oral now and I sound like a **** so I wouldn't say it's that simple to PERFECT.
Farsi (Persian) is a nice language. Having sweet-nothings whispered in my ear inspired me to learn it. :wink: And obviously I need it for my proposed career :colondollar: .

German sounds horrible though. It's the only language I've been taught/studied which I have no desire to progress in :s-smilie:
Ahhh easiest to learn? Esperanto, without a doubt. Taught my friend ALL verb forms for EVERY verb and all noun, adjective and adverb grammar in 7 minutes. There are no irregularities and it's so logical! Plus word-building is more advanced than German word-building (although I do like the German words Schlagzeug (sp?) - drumkit, lit. bangy thing - and Flugzeug - plane, lit. flying thing).
In terms of nice sounding, Italian's beautiful, took it to AS, but Ancient Greek? Too many consonants, and when they say irregular verbs, they mean irregular! Plus what's with having Active, Passive and Middle verbs? Ancient Greek sounds like someone with something stuck in their throat trying to get rid of it...
Reply 83
English is so beautiful in my opinion. It sounds quite musical. That said, it drives me crazy because I won't get rid of my German zigzag intonation (does it really sound like that?). I always feel I'm singing when I try to speak with an English accent.
And I'm amazed by the votes for German. Being native, it wouldn't occur to me to see it that way.
I love the sound of Czech, Russian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Mandarin, French, German, Dutch, Zulu... probably more I've forgotten.
Not too fond of Turkish or Cantonese.
I would like to join the 'German is hot' group.
mmm.

I'm not sure about other languages...I'm often really bad at telling them apart.
It depends of course on what languages you already know. For a German, Swedish is not that particularly hard, whereas for a Spaniard, Portuguese is like a dialect.

For English speakers I think French is not that difficult, easier than German in the long run. But for me Italian has been the easiest, pronunciation and spelling as easy as they come, it's basically phonetic, they don't have particularly difficult sounds and they pronounce most of them and don't drop every second syllable. Grammar: like most Latin languages, manageable.

Hardest would be something like Chinese or Arabic I think. I still want to learn them both one day!
oh and in terms of ugliness, it's all subjective, but I find that you can fall in love with the unique sound of any language. I don't think that German is ugly at all for instance, contrary to popular opinion.
Reply 88
Korean has a flowing sound about it, which is pretty.

Japanese is a very beautiful language, in written form at least. It combines Chinese characters alongside it's own writing systems, and the characters have different meanings and such. Plus the polite-ness levels and such add to it's complex beauty :smile:
Reply 89
I love the sound of Irish, Arabic, French. I can't think of any ugly languages. To me a language is either beautiful or interesting or both.
Reply 90
I ******* love swedish and russian
I like the Romantic languages, all sound rather sweet and, well, nice.
Would like to take a stab at Japanese one day, if it wasn't so amazingly intimidating.
I really like French but it is a bit of a PITA to learn. Sounds very nice though :smile:

I really enjoyed learning Chinese and it's not as hard as many people would think so, although I'm not saying it's easy.

English is not my favorite, but it's not a hard language in my opinion and it's very useful. It can also sound very neat too, especially English literature. So I like it.

I'm obviously biased here, but I just love Hungarian, there are words for things that would take 2-3 sentences to explain in English. Lots of proverbs, too. If you say a sentence Hungarian, most of the time I find that there is no way to say the exact same thing in English (message, meaning, tone, etc) without writing a paragraph.
Python.
boysenberry
I like the Romantic languages, all sound rather sweet and, well, nice.
Would like to take a stab at Japanese one day, if it wasn't so amazingly intimidating.

Go for it! :smile: It's such a neat language. (tip: watching lots of anime (with Japanese dub and English sub) is a great way to make it easy and fun)
Mangaartist
Go for it! :smile: It's such a neat language. (tip: watching lots of anime (with Japanese dub and English sub) is a great way to make it easy and fun)

Yeah, I might make a start at it next year when I'm at uni, but we shall see!
Am I the only one who really doesn't like the sound of most east Asian languages?
Reply 97
Aramaic is a beautiful language, as are Hebrew and Greek. Also, I like primitive Germanic languages like Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse, they have a lovely rich sound that makes them very satisfying to speak.
I don't like everyone picking on German...
I think we can see a dichotomy of emotions that languages elicit. Quite simply, learning is crap. People go on about learning languages being fun. It isn't. Learning a language is damn boring. For example, sitting there reading an Italian phrasebook is disgustingly dull. Using the language to chat up Italian women is fantastic.

Latest

Trending

Trending