The Student Room Group

Why do people let their cats go outside?

I just don't understand this. I mean I understand that they like chasing after birds and mice and jumping up trees etc but every day I see adverts of so many cats going missing. There are so many cruel people out there who love to abuse cats, as well as people who steal cats to use them as dog bait for their illegal dog fighting activities. There are animals such as foxes who can also harm cats, especially if the cat is very small and the fox is a lot bigger. And then there are also cars and buses which can run them over, and trains too. Also, some people might believe it's a stray cat, and then take it in and keep it for themselves. I just don't get why people let them go outside. Surely if you love your pet, you'd want to keep them safe and protect them and not make them vulnerable to harm and danger? I literally never see dogs out by themselves, and dogs are bigger and far more capable of defending themselves than cats can. So if you wouldn't let your big dog outside, why would you do this to your cat? Considering there's so much danger out there, it can be seen extremely careless and selfish to put them in such danger. And then people cry when their cat goes missing, never to be seen again....

Scroll to see replies

Dogs are much more domesticated than cats. An owner is liable for what a dog gets up to but not a cat.
Cats can get very bored, and therefore very destructive, if kept inside when they would rather be mini tigers out on the prowl.
I would bet on a cat's chances of defending itself over a dog's any day.
Because they are animals and basically belong outside. If you insist on wrapping it in cotton wool and locking it up, it takes away a lot of what it is. I'm not saying people are universally great, but I don't think they are so commonly hostile to cars as you imply.
Original post by StriderHort
Because they are animals and basically belong outside. If you insist on wrapping it in cotton wool and locking it up, it takes away a lot of what it is. I'm not saying people are universally great, but I don't think they are so commonly hostile to cars as you imply.

So why even get them as pets then? If they "belong outside"...
Original post by Submarine94

you could ask that of many pet animals - tortoises, donkeys, rabbits, ....

People want house pets. Cats are quite capable of adapting but it should be obvious their natural environment is outside. Plenty of owners still want their pet to have as full a life as possible which you can't do by removing all risk from a life to suit you, that's selfish.
(edited 1 year ago)
People want house pets. Cats are quite capable of adapting but it should be obvious their natural environment is outside. Plenty of owners still want their pet to have as full a life as possible which you can't do by removing all risk from a life to suit you, that's selfish.

Absolutely not selfish at all. The owners are being selfish by letting their cats out in a world where there's so many cruel people and dangers. And then they cry and put posters up of their cat when it goes missing, when these stupid people could've prevented it from happening in the first place!
(edited 1 year ago)
cats know to come back cos they're smart unlike dumb dogs
andyou don't let them out until they're like 3 months at least. They won't go that far from the house at first cos they're shy - and they know their own limits
we only let our cat out the back into the gardens - never into the front. and she always comes bacl every few hours cos we give her food and attention
and she;s **** at catching birds. cats need to go outside cos they're not mindless servant animals like dogs. i think it's so sad and depressing when people keep their cat indoors all the time and it gets obese and depressed, or worse still if they declaw they're cat - that's actually evil

Some may say the opposite, it is selfish that you are forcing a cat to go against their exploratory and energetic nature. They need to go outside so they do not get health problems from too little exercise!
I keep my cats indoors. I don't care if people think it's cruel. Seeing my best friend squished on the road when I came home from school at 11 does that to you. :frown:
Original post by Oxy-moron
I keep my cats indoors. I don't care if people think it's cruel. Seeing my best friend squished on the road when I came home from school at 11 does that to you. :frown:

My previous cat who was a ragdoll (they have no street sense) was kept indoors, I think both options are good as long as the cat is happy :smile:Just wanted to show the other person the other point of view!
Best friend? Human or animal- either way sorry :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by niamhcheesecake
My previous cat who was a ragdoll (they have no street sense) was kept indoors, I think both options are good as long as the cat is happy :smile:Just wanted to show the other person the other point of view!
Best friend? Human or animal- either way sorry :frown:

Cat. I was bullied a lot at school and had no human friends. That cat meant everything to me.
Most cats are quite wilful and will generally do whatever they want, regardless of their owners opinions.
Wandering outside, hunting smaller creatures, what type of food they want and time that they feel ready to eat.

Some cats are house cats that prefer to stay inside but most are not.
Plenty of cats can be confrontational or devious and have little fear of people.
Genetically, domestic cats are much closer to their wild ancestors than dogs are. Dogs have been specifically bred over many generations to be obedient and to want to please their master.

Cats have never really been crossbred that much, which is why their need to stalk prey is still so strong. In spite of their smaller size, they are much better at surviving in the wild than domesticated dogs, precisely because they are still techically wild animals. Why do you think feral colonies thrive and grow as they do? Dogs just don't have that survival instinct anymore; it has been bred out of them and they are dependant on humans for their survival.

Granted, some cats get nicked (generally fancier breeds that are worth a lot of money), but it is not that common. Also, foxes tend to leave adult cats alone. They are too big for a fox and can hold their own just fine.

I'm not sure what your real agenda is in your original post. I suspect you just don't like the neighbour's cats pooing in your garden or something. Your claims are grossly exaggerated and it seems like you are trying too hard to use the "It's just because I care so much!" angle. Except, anybody who knows anything about cats will know that they are far too savvy to be killed off in their droves the moment they step outside.
I just don't understand this. I mean I understand that they like chasing after birds and mice and jumping up trees etc but every day I see adverts of so many cats going missing. There are so many cruel people out there who love to abuse cats, as well as people who steal cats to use them as dog bait for their illegal dog fighting activities. There are animals such as foxes who can also harm cats, especially if the cat is very small and the fox is a lot bigger. And then there are also cars and buses which can run them over, and trains too. Also, some people might believe it's a stray cat, and then take it in and keep it for themselves. I just don't get why people let them go outside. Surely if you love your pet, you'd want to keep them safe and protect them and not make them vulnerable to harm and danger? I literally never see dogs out by themselves, and dogs are bigger and far more capable of defending themselves than cats can. So if you wouldn't let your big dog outside, why would you do this to your cat? Considering there's so much danger out there, it can be seen extremely careless and selfish to put them in such danger. And then people cry when their cat goes missing, never to be seen again....

Your points apply to children as well if they go outside they could get hurt, abducted, killed, etc.. But parents still let them go outside and explore! It's an important part of their development and independence as well as helping maintain good mental and physical health.

I can understand why some people choose to keep their cats inside perhaps they live in a flat, or in a really busy trafficky area, or because of the type of cat it is (e.g. breed, age, medical conditions). I do quite often see people out "walking" their cats!

Dogs attack people a lot more than cats do, sometimes even killing the person. Dogs will poo anywhere and just leave it; cats will cover it up in a civilised manner. Dogs often need to be kept on a lead, and they are far more likely to attack or agitate livestock. Cats keep to themselves a lot more, are very aware of their surroundings, and actually very capable of defending themselves (or escaping the danger, and then finding their way back).

Cats are (generally) pretty independent animals, and spending a bit of time outside is part of their nature. It helps them stay healthy and happy. And in my experience, quite a lot of the time they spend outside is spent sleeping or watching wildlife in the safety of the garden :smile:
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Your points apply to children as well if they go outside they could get hurt, abducted, killed, etc.. But parents still let them go outside and explore! It's an important part of their development and independence as well as helping maintain good mental and physical health.

I can understand why some people choose to keep their cats inside perhaps they live in a flat, or in a really busy trafficky area, or because of the type of cat it is (e.g. breed, age, medical conditions). I do quite often see people out "walking" their cats!

Dogs attack people a lot more than cats do, sometimes even killing the person. Dogs will poo anywhere and just leave it; cats will cover it up in a civilised manner. Dogs often need to be kept on a lead, and they are far more likely to attack or agitate livestock. Cats keep to themselves a lot more, are very aware of their surroundings, and actually very capable of defending themselves (or escaping the danger, and then finding their way back).

Cats are (generally) pretty independent animals, and spending a bit of time outside is part of their nature. It helps them stay healthy and happy. And in my experience, quite a lot of the time they spend outside is spent sleeping or watching wildlife in the safety of the garden :smile:

wooo cat supremacy
I've never seen anyone who has a pet tortoise or rabbit and had let them go outside, that's just bizzare. And I'm not even going to comment on the donkey example because that's very stupid thing you said

So just because you've never met someone who has one of these pets, you assume it's impossible? I let my rabbits out all the time, it's their natural habitat and they can handle themselves... Besides you could apply what you said to humans, we can get hit by cars, stabbed or raped, and yet we still go outside - same principle!
(edited 1 year ago)
Absolutely not selfish at all. The owners are being selfish by letting their cats out in a world where there's so many cruel people and dangers. And then they cry and put posters up of their cat when it goes missing, when these stupid people could've prevented it from happening in the first place!

It's pretty selfish to claim an animal as property full stop. I'm not hating on it, I just don't see the point in claiming it isn't. I'm sorry you find the world so threatening, but I do think it is selfish to project and force this onto another animal that might feel quite confident outdoors. And it takes it chances on a daily basis like every living thing, indoors or out.

Could pet owners with missing pets have maybe done more or made better choices? possibly, but it doesn't exactly put you in a good light mocking them either way.
(edited 1 year ago)

Yeah but think about the other factors,
By buying a cat, maybe from a breeder for example, youre saving it from being kept and maybe used for more breeding .
All those cats in RSPCA. They dont have anywhere to live, so theyd rather live in someones house who wants them dearly and will feed them well, so theyll be happy. Where else would the cats live?
They cant live inside all their life, just like us humans. Humans die, animals die, cats die. Whether they get killed by accident or on purpose, it's just life. As long as they live happily with a nice owner, but die then you know that at least they lived a good life.
Of course, the abuse is horrible, so say if the cat dies or gets rescued, they will be happy after.
Cats love humans who love them. Sure dogs get walked but would you walk a cat? no because cats have different characteristics and theyre born to explore the lands
We cant help that now the worlds dangerous but as long as we care for our cats, then thats fine because it's the life cycle
My aunt who lives abroad is concerned about wild dogs in the area where she lives. Apparently likely to harm her small cat, possibly.

Quick Reply

Latest