The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Christian Focus and Christian Union

Hello,

I have a place at warwick for '09 and as a Catholic i'm keen to get involved in chaplincy stuff when I arrive so I was looking on the warwick website to see what events the CU put on and noticed that there are 2 christian societies at Warwick.

So basically I wondered if anyone could tell me what the difference is between the Christian Focus and the Christian Union and perhaps you could tell me a bit about their reputation i.e. is the CU full of 'happy-clappy's'? Not that there is anything wrong with happy-clappy Christians...

I can't say much, but I have an anglican friend who goes to Christian Focus at Warwick.
There are people from many denominations there, and they have lots of things to do, but also some quite deep discussions.
He loves it there, and there's also quite a bit of time for silent reflection, which seems cool.
But I'll leave it up to a real life Warwick student to fill in my numerous blanks.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hi Regina,

Both societies (though the CU isn't officially a campus society any more...) have slightly different styles, from what I have seen. The greatest difference being that the CU is very evangelical.

Because of their evangelical nature I guess the CU does get seen as being a bit 'happy clappy', but it's run by a nice bunch of people, does quite a lot of stuff week by week and is generally pretty cool.

Christian Focus is a bit quieter. Not being a Christian myself, I can only assume that most of what they do is getting people together for collective worship etc. They do also run talks about a variety of interesting related topics, which I have always found to be a little more intellectual than the CU's talks (but that is just my opinion, of course).

There is a third option though - the Catholic Fellowship.

They are very quiet - they don't run talks and such, they are mainly just to create a Catholic community on campus. A catholic friend of mine used to go along every Sunday and found them to be a nice group of people.

So there you have it. It's probably best just to go along to stuff by all three and then decide which works the best for you.

:smile:
Reply 3
Vetinari
Hi Regina,

Both societies (though the CU isn't officially a campus society any more...) have slightly different styles, from what I have seen. The greatest difference being that the CU is very evangelical.

Because of their evangelical nature I guess the CU does get seen as being a bit 'happy clappy', but it's run by a nice bunch of people, does quite a lot of stuff week by week and is generally pretty cool.

Christian Focus is a bit quieter. Not being a Christian myself, I can only assume that most of what they do is getting people together for collective worship etc. They do also run talks about a variety of interesting related topics, which I have always found to be a little more intellectual than the CU's talks (but that is just my opinion, of course).

There is a third option though - the Catholic Fellowship.

They are very quiet - they don't run talks and such, they are mainly just to create a Catholic community on campus. A catholic friend of mine used to go along every Sunday and found them to be a nice group of people.

So there you have it. It's probably best just to go along to stuff by all three and then decide which works the best for you.

:smile:

Thank you very much! Exactly what I wanted to know :smile:

I'd read quite an old thread on here about the CU and it's attitude towards homosexuals that made me feel a bit apprehensive but I suppose it's full of new people now and I'll just have to try things out when I get to Warwick and see how I feel.

I'm excited about starting Warwick!
Reply 4
Reginaspektor
I'd read quite an old thread on here about the CU and it's attitude towards homosexuals that made me feel a bit apprehensive but I suppose it's full of new people now and I'll just have to try things out when I get to Warwick and see how I feel.
You are right to be wary; the UCCF do not have a good reputation on many campuses. I am not an expert, but I think their beliefs are not compatible with Roman Catholicism either.
Reply 5
I would definitely suggest you avoid the CU.

Whilst there are some great people there, they are very evangelical, and from some people (by no means all), you may find some hostility towards Catholicism. I went to CU Main Meeting once, and the speaker (not a CU member, a guy from outside), basically started slagging of Catholicism. I mean, it wasn't the point of his talk, but he did spend quite a lot of time criticising Catholicism, saying it was a lie, etc. I mean, there are no doubt aspects of Catholicism that I'd disagree with too, but there's a time and place for expressing your disagreements. And ultimately, they should be trying to promote unity within the church, not making divisions between them and Catholics.

I don't know anything much about the Catholic Fellowship, but Christian Focus are alright, methinks. They're a fairly quiet bunch who tend to hang out in the chaplaincy drinking tea. I think a fairly broad bunch in terms of denominations, though a lot are Anglicans, I reckon.

Hope that helps a bit.
Reply 6
Reginaspektor
Thank you very much! Exactly what I wanted to know :smile:

I'm excited about starting Warwick!

The 'CU's Attitude' is difficult to define, as it is mostly comprised of a throng of free-thinking individuals. They have a constitution and a few 'core beliefs', but of course an attitude towards homosexuality would never be mentioned in such a thing.

I would simply say that Christians are generally a mixed bag. You always get the fruit-loops who quietly harbour homophobia...

I hope you enjoy Warwick when you arrive. PM me if you need anything - I'm happy to help point you in the right direction for whatever it is you need. :smile:
Reply 7
It's worth considering that the CU does have a doctrinal basis, which can be found here: http://www.warwickcu.org/cu.php

It's likely that there are points on there that, as a Catholic, you disagree with.

Though to be fair, as an ordinary member, you wouldn't have to sign up to this - it's only Bible study group leaders, committee members, etc., that have to sign.

Anyway, that should give you more of an idea of the CUs beliefs, and more of an idea about whether its worth checking out. Personally I'd say it probably isn't the right place for you, but I'd suggest you check it out just the once, at least, to see what its like.

Obviously there's a huge range of issues, like homosexuality, that this doesn't touch on, and CU members are at liberty to believe whatever they like, as individuals, but it wouldn't surprise me if they find themselves under pressure from their friends within the CU, if they have very different opinions.
Reply 8
Keziah
Obviously there's a huge range of issues, like homosexuality, that this doesn't touch on, and CU members are at liberty to believe whatever they like, as individuals, but it wouldn't surprise me if they find themselves under pressure from their friends within the CU, if they have very different opinions.
I'm slightly confused. Roman Catholicism is homophobic, so, while I agree that there will be serious doctrinal differences in other areas, surely a Catholic's views on homosexuality would not be too far off the homophobia of the Evangelical core in the CU? Forgive me for being thick, but I don't see why there is a problem in this respect?
Reply 9
Kolya
I'm slightly confused. Roman Catholicism is homophobic, so, while I agree that there will be serious doctrinal differences in other areas, surely a Catholic's views on homosexuality would not be too far off the homophobia of the Evangelical core in the CU? Forgive me for being thick, but I don't see why there is a problem in this respect?

I get where your coming from but my personal belief is that people don't choose their sexual orientation and thus for many people homosexuality is 'natural'- yes this differs slightly from the stance taken by many Roman Catholic but this is simply one area where I disagree with lots of Christians...it's more a personal thing than anything else.

Also i'm not sure i'd agree with the statement 'Roman Catholicism is homophobic'....read some of what Cardinal Hume has written on the matter. Actually tbh you could probably dig out a ton of quotes by Pope John Paul II on homosexuaity to prove your point... But I'll think you'll find there are lots of us that aren't homophobic :smile:

But the fact that you assumed I was can explain why I wouldn't want to be associated with a group out of fear of being judged- 'oh she's part of the CU she must be really homophobic'- I'd rather do without this.
Keziah
It's worth considering that the CU does have a doctrinal basis, which can be found here: http://www.warwickcu.org/cu.php

It's likely that there are points on there that, as a Catholic, you disagree with.

Though to be fair, as an ordinary member, you wouldn't have to sign up to this - it's only Bible study group leaders, committee members, etc., that have to sign.

Anyway, that should give you more of an idea of the CUs beliefs, and more of an idea about whether its worth checking out. Personally I'd say it probably isn't the right place for you, but I'd suggest you check it out just the once, at least, to see what its like.

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 11
From my limited experience and contact with various CU/CF members and stuff; they're all great people, but there's a small... stigma, of sorts, attached to the CU, which Focus seems largely free from.
Reply 12
Kolya

I mentioned that issue because the OP mentioned that she'd read something about the CUs views on homosexuality, which had concerned her.
So I was saying that such things aren't covered by the doctrinal basis, and therefore wouldn't necessarily be an issue.
the catholic priest on campus is supposed to be really nic eand i've heard that he's insanely qualified, i think he has a phd... i'm not sure if thats of interest to you. i think the phd is in computing or something along those lines as well.
Reply 14
Christian Focus are a really nice bunch of people. They spend a lot of time hanging out in the chaplaincy, which is great if you fancy procrastinating on campus. They also have awesome socials. Denomination-wise, they're mainly Anglicans, to be honest. They're pretty liberal, too. (Oh, and as a side note, it's free to join the society, and you don't have to join the Federation, either - completely free membership!) CU, on the other hand, is a lot more evangelical and probably, therefore, a lot more what people would term 'happy clappy'. They're also a lot more 'hardcore', for want of a better word. They run a lot of stuff on campus. They give out free hot chocolates, teas and biscuits after Top Banana on a Monday night, for example, as a way to demonstrate Christian love and also to share the Gospel, I guess. They also run more seminars and talks, and stuff. But they're also a lot bigger than Focus, so it's a bit more difficult to get to know people, although they are a very friendly bunch and there are of course people who go to both. With regards to the anti-Roman Catholic thing - they're basically a bunch of Evangelicals so, whether you agree with it or not, they're highly likely to disagree with RC doctrines - it just comes with the territory.

While we're on the topic, the chaplaincy runs Sunday morning services - there's an Anglican service at 10:30am (ish) and then a Catholic one at 12:30. However, I didn't find the Anglican one great, so I (being the happy clappy I am... even though I actually have more Focus friends - bizarre!) go to the local Elim in Coventry. I guess I'm lucky in that I can drive, but the local churches are always offering buses to and from camous, and you can also use general public transport.

Latest