The Student Room Group

If you been out of education for a couple of years, how would you apply for masters?

If you have been out of education for a couple of years, how do you apply for postgraduate masters in regards to academic references?
Original post by CelaenSardothien
If you have been out of education for a couple of years, how do you apply for postgraduate masters in regards to academic references?

If it has only been a couple of years, you go back to your previous uni and track down lecturers/tutors etc. If you've been in relevant professional work in the two years, then you could try one from your line manager, but only if it can cover skills relevant to academia.
As above.
Departments keep records going back decades and most have a stable staff. You will be remembered.
Worth remembering is that some places offer a discount to former students although it’s not much and you may well prefer another course elsewhere.
Does anyone know how long is too long? Like 10+, 5+, 3+ ???
It is never too long or too late- as long as you are healthy and capable of doing the work. :smile:

But I wouldn't recommend doing full time postgrad study with a baby.
Nor alongside part time employment when parenting a young child under the age of 10.
Good luck!

Too long for an academic reference? It’s up to the incoming Uni, but ultimately it’s up to you. They may say after 3 years you can provide an academic or professional reference. You need to check their requirements. As above, a Uni could potentially provide you with a reference years later.

When applying for my MA, I got a reference from my BA dissertation supervisor 11 years after finishing my degree! As other people here have said, academic departments keep pretty good records, so it's fairly easy for them to check your transcript, attendance, and any other measurables they might need to comment upon. Personal tutors/academic mentors and dissertation supervisors tend to remember students they've worked with one-to-one as well, especially if you were a particularly engaged student.

I used my line manager at my employer as my second reference as, when I checked with Keele, they were happy for me to provide one professional and one academic reference given the length of time that I had been in employment since graduating.

Amy Louise :smile:
PhD Candidate & Student Ambassador, Keele University

Hi :smile:

As a few people have said, it's worth checking what the university themselves ask for as most will be accommodating to different circumstances. I applied 5 years after graduating and instead of two academic references I was able to give one academic reference (I emailed a lecturer from my undergraduate to request one) and a reference from a former colleague - I didn't go for my current manager as the role I was in at the time didn't really offer transferable skills, but the uni were still happy with this.

The lecturer I requested my reference from wasn't actually my dissertation tutor, it was another academic that I worked with in various modules across the three years because I thought they would be more likely to remember my work overall and offer a more personalised reference, and the uni were still happy to accept this.

I hope this helps!

Jennifer
Thanks for posting and wish you luck. I’m in the same boat and having issues with references. My first degree is a long time ago, my second whilst working full time, parenting and teaching so it is possible. I’m finding even applying hard now. Good luck Nathalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending