The Student Room Group

Will I lose marks for forgetting to put my word count in the cover sheet?

Also, ironically, I had brackets with the number of words in each section next to the headers and I forgot to remove some of those, will that make me lose marks as well?

I'm from a non-British system and I'm not sure yet how marks work/ how strict professors are in marking.
I guess the instructor might remark on your paper that you should do it right. But it is not easy to find out if the instructor deduces any mark from the one given to you, unless U ask the instructor directly. When you are given 68, the instructor is not required to tell you in such a detailed way, e.g. "This paper deserves 69, but one mark is deduced due to no word count is provided", right? :dontknow:
Probably. The invigilator has no idea of knowing what your world count is unless you put it on the paper.
cant speak for other tutors but when I mark papers I am trying to see reasons to increase the grade rather than catch folks out - the marking grid is the key arbiter

Also, hopefully true of other tutors too, I would never give a mark at the top of a grade boundary (ie a 69 when 70 is distinction). Its common in my Uni to only allow three numbers: n2 n5 n8, so a 42 if its a weak pass, 45 if its average, 48 if its solid

Word count is an interesting one, technically we are supposed to stop reading when we reach the word limit so as not to advantage the over long paper
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ChiefBrody
cant speak for other tutors but when I mark papers I am trying to see reasons to increase the grade rather than catch folks out - the marking grid is the key arbiter

Also, hopefully true of other tutors too, I would never give a mark at the top of a grade boundary (ie a 69 when 70 is distinction). Its common in my Uni to only allow three numbers: n2 n5 n8, so a 42 if its a weak pass, 45 if its average, 48 if its solid

Word count is an interesting one, technically we are supposed to stop reading when we reach the word limit so as not to advantage the over long paper

Thank you! Technically my paper is under the word count (by about 100 words), I just forgot to put the total word count on the cover sheet, in your opinion is it possible that might negatively impact the overall grade even though the paper itself is within the limit?
Reply 5
Original post by Yat Yat
Ione mark is deduced due to no word count is provided", right? :dontknow:

Well, in basically every place I've taught we have been required to note this sort of thing in the feedback. In one dept the penalty for formatting errors was specified on the spec sheet. It won't be much if they knock off anything at all. Sometimes it's easier jsut to say 'don't forget x next time'
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! Technically my paper is under the word count (by about 100 words), I just forgot to put the total word count on the cover sheet, in your opinion is it possible that might negatively impact the overall grade even though the paper itself is within the limit?

Very, very unlikely to affect the classification of the work. If any mark is removed, it will be tiny; probably only 1 or 2.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Well, in basically every place I've taught we have been required to note this sort of thing in the feedback. In one dept the penalty for formatting errors was specified on the spec sheet. It won't be much if they knock off anything at all. Sometimes it's easier jsut to say 'don't forget x next time'

just done the same mistake welp, is there a possibility I may even fail the coursework because of it? Been panicking and hating myself for always submitting work way before the due date. Its due tomorrow and I could have totally fixed it before submitting.
Reply 8
Original post by sasukee
just done the same mistake welp, is there a possibility I may even fail the coursework because of it? Been panicking and hating myself for always submitting work way before the due date. Its due tomorrow and I could have totally fixed it before submitting.

Don't fret. You won't fail. They might not even notice, to be honest.
You were supposed to note your own word count? oh... :tongue: no one ever mentioned it.
Reply 10
A little late of a reply but for what its worth I didn't get any points off for it and the marker didn't even mention it :smile:
Original post by sasukee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending