The Student Room Group

A-level English Language and Literature Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

(Original post by sunflower49)i also do OCR - I have no clue what could come up though 😩

Original post by sunflower49
i also do OCR - I have no clue what could come up though 😩

how did you find the paper? my timings were so off, i spent so much more time on the poetry than the color purple, if that's the text you do too, I did the discontentment poetry question
Reply 61
Original post by tealeavees
I'm also pretty nervous for Paris! What novel are you doing? We're doing Lovely Bones - I'm just hoping for nice questions 🙏🙏
Sending you good luck!! 🙏

How did it go for you? I did The Handmaids Tale and the questions were on the significance of the past or women’s physical appearance, really hoped there would’ve been a character question tho as I revised loads of characters but not as many themes. Paris went okay but I wish the question was on tourism/multiculturalism instead of first experiences and I think poetry went really well! I did Carol Ann Duffy and wrote about Valentine and Mean Time- I think it was good as I had just done a past paper including Mean Time which was about regret (I got an A on that paper so hopefully won’t get too bad of a grade), so I just reworded it in the exam to talk about how she was regretful of her love :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by melissapage
Omg thank god I thought I was the only one doing The History Boys😭😭 the theme last year was sexuality so I’m definitely thinking it’ll be religion and potentially an extract regarding Scripps. How are you revising for it?

I was thinking religion also. Hopefully not, but I'm sure I can say a good bit as luckily I do RS. I answered a question about specifically Rudge a few days ago, so hopefully they do not pick a character specific question, it was very difficult to talk about. Fingers crossed its on the subjunctive or something because having a vague topic would do me wonders. I am writing intros and first paras for a host of possible topics so that I at least have a possible fall back or frame of reference.
Reply 63
(Original post by Curiousg30rg3)How are you structuring your answer? I’ve had 3 different teachers all day different things 🤦*♀️

i’m also wondering this!!! I’m so lost!!

Original post by Curiousg30rg3
How are you structuring your answer? I’ve had 3 different teachers all day different things 🤦*♀️
Original post by sebmilm123
ah nice mate yeh i’ve got a whole day now to revise + tomorrow morning as well, what do you think the antholog text will be? rumours of it being the kings speech i wouldn’t mind that one - and did you say you did all my sons?

Yeah! Got it in a couple hours, so just looking over stuff- my teachers think it’ll be a speech text, and we’re debating between the kings speech, Iraq War, JFK and Diana/Bashir - because of the contextual stuff and because a text that needs speech terms hasn’t came up in the last couple of years.

and I do a streetcar named desire so no, but I just hope they are nice to us😂

good luck for later :smile: <3
Reply 65
It was Oscar Wilde!!! so happy, that was the best extract. Hated the character question but i think i answered enough on Mrs Lintott to have done it correct. I kinda melded the question to my liking though lol
Original post by Luc1dRats
It was Oscar Wilde!!! so happy, that was the best extract. Hated the character question but i think i answered enough on Mrs Lintott to have done it correct. I kinda melded the question to my liking though lol

Aw yes it was!! Surprised me actually, but it was a good one, and a good comparison extract to - Sage.

My streetcar one was alright, nice question but work set awkwardly so I also welded the question to my liking😂

No same the lengths I went to write about the stuff I wanted and to try and link it back to mrs lintott😭😭absolute waffle. I liked the Oscar Wilde text but not a fan of text A! What did you think?
Reply 68
Original post by SeizeTheStory
Aw yes it was!! Surprised me actually, but it was a good one, and a good comparison extract to - Sage.

My streetcar one was alright, nice question but work set awkwardly so I also welded the question to my liking😂

Very lucky this year, was expecting it to be the kings speech though - i suppose thats how they catch you out. Melding it to what you want to answer is the way i always go, cant help myself lmao
Very lucky this year, was expecting it to be the kings speech though - i suppose thats how they catch you out. Melding it to what you want to answer is the way i always go, cant help myself lmao

Honestly same, but they’ve literally mainly got speech texts and interviews left now, so I dread to be next years
Reply 70
Honestly same, but they’ve literally mainly got speech texts and interviews left now, so I dread to be next years

Some poor souls are going to be left with the past masters podcast 😭
Yep😭 thank god it’s not usss
Reply 72
Yep😭 thank god it’s not usss

hows you find it? what did yoi write about for the de profundis/text a?
hows you find it? what did yoi write about for the de profundis/text a?

Quite good actually! As for de profundis and text a I wrote about a voice filled with determination/resilience/hope, the differences in their imprisonment and how that affected their stay. Uhhh, how text a al no at romanticised prison by telling a story ‘and that’s where my big adventure started’ (or something like that) and ‘let me set the scene’ how he saw life like a story - an antagonist looking for redemption whereas Wilde was more straightforward, but had a factual and clear point about prison- it affected how he ended his perceived identity?

Something like that anyway lol

How about you??
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by frnkiee
for the streetcar one did u guys stick to only talking about stella 😭 i started waffling about blanche and idk if that actually links with the really specific question we got - but extract one was so lucky i actually revised oscar wilde thank the lord

I mainly stuck to Stella and spoke bits of Blanche whereas some of my friends did a bit about Blanche and Stella :smile:!
Reply 75
Quite good actually! As for de profundis and text a I wrote about a voice filled with determination/resilience/hope, the differences in their imprisonment and how that affected their stay. Uhhh, how text a al no at romanticised prison by telling a story ‘and that’s where my big adventure started’ (or something like that) and ‘let me set the scene’ how he saw life like a story - an antagonist looking for redemption whereas Wilde was more straightforward, but had a factual and clear point about prison- it affected how he ended his perceived identity?

Something like that anyway lol

How about you??

nice yeh similar really there was a lot of metaphors in the text A by peter sage it wasn’t a bad text to be fair, quite an optimistic voice in the first one.
nice yeh similar really there was a lot of metaphors in the text A by peter sage it wasn’t a bad text to be fair, quite an optimistic voice in the first one.

Yeah I agree with that
Reply 77
anyone do the great gatsby and a raisin in the sun for paper 2? predictions for the question? and any predictions on what the unseen text will be based on? edexcel. thanks 🙏
Reply 78
anyone do the great gatsby and a raisin in the sun for paper 2? predictions for the question? and any predictions on what the unseen text will be based on? edexcel. thanks 🙏

Yeah! I'm doing both, have no predictions though I really hope the question isn't character based. Again, I imagine the unseen will be contextual in some way. I hope the form is good though.
Reply 79
I am absolutely terrified for tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending