The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Social work OU

Hi
Has anyone ever studied Social work through open university?
I’m studying at QUB but struggling to cope without a monthly income and also working as band 4 social work assistant when I’m off uni and debating continuing to work and trying to do it through the OU but not sure how it all works
I'm not doing the social work degree through the OU , but I'm currently studying towards a social care higher certificate and was on the foundations to social work module as I used it to help me get in to a brick university to study social work commencing this September. When I was on this module they gave us an overview of what the process would be if we were interested in applying to the social work degree through the OU.

The routes on to the degree will be different depending on where you live (Scotland, England, NI, Wales). For the Scottish social work degree, I know that we required SSSC registration and also to have completed 2 particular OU modules before applying, have SCQF level 5 maths and English and also attend an interview, however this was as an independent application in which there are limited spaces on the course. Majority of the people who study the social work degree through the OU I believe have it funded and organised through their employer and already work in a social care setting.

As you have already studied some of a social work degree at a brick university , you may be eligible for credit transfer ? But you also work as a social work assistant so you could be eligible for entry on to the OU social work degree through that perhaps?. I would contact the OU directly for more information to see what your options are. Good luck :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest