The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm moving this to the Interview Meet thread. If you don't want to be involved in that I can move it back again. :smile:
Reply 161
Ill be around from the 10th until the 13th as well.

Im just wondering, as Ive only got one night of accomodation, does anyone know a good place to stay the night before where I can actually get some sleep and yet it's not too expensive?

thanks
Yasmin : Look up youth hostels? Maybe the YMCA which is central.
will1989
Hey,

I've got my Cambridge interview next week, and I'm staying up their by myself. I was wondering, as I am arriving at 6PM, if there's much to do? I'm at Robinson BTW. Maybe some clubs or pubs? In any college :smile:

Obv. I won't be getting drunk though :rolleyes:

Well all the other applicants being interviewed should be hanging around in the college's JCR and bar, I would have thought.
Reply 163
Yasmin18

Im just wondering, as Ive only got one night of accomodation, does anyone know a good place to stay the night before where I can actually get some sleep and yet it's not too expensive?

thanks

wanna know wanna know
Yasmin18

thanks

Why so long?
Reply 165
Divide By Zero
Why so long?

wont be there anymore in my life =/
Reply 166
Divide By Zero
Why so long?

Because she's coming from Switzerland? :smile:.

yasmin18

thanks

I would think that the Travelodge is probably full (and expensive) this close, probably the best place to try would be youth hostels as craghyrax suggested.

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/east-of-england/hostels/cambridge/index.aspx

Mostly for things in Cambridge don't worry about distance, it may look big on a map of Cambridge but it will probably be fairly close in reality :p:.
Reply 167
Mithra
Because she's coming from Switzerland? :smile:.

yes exactly :smile: Im travelling from switzerland, as as Im having the TSA on the 10th and interview on the 11th, I had to book the day before. but obviously, I also want to have a look around, in case I wont get that opportunity any more.

I would think that the Travelodge is probably full (and expensive) this close, probably the best place to try would be youth hostels as craghyrax suggested.

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/east-of-england/hostels/cambridge/index.aspx

Mostly for things in Cambridge don't worry about distance, it may look big on a map of Cambridge but it will probably be fairly close in reality :p:.

Thanks :smile: that was very helpfull. just booked it now haha
just wondering, is everyone going with a friend / parents or ar most travelling alone, too?
Yasmin18
ar most travelling alone, too?

I don't know anyone going to any interview (at Cambridge or otherwise) accompanied, other than for UCL, who seem to be asking for a parent of guardian if you're under 18.
Reply 169
Yasmin18
just wondering, is everyone going with a friend / parents or ar most travelling alone, too?

Is anyone going with a friend or parents? Seems a bit of a weird thing to do :s-smilie:
Reply 170
Yasmin18

I'm travelling back to Switzerland on the 13th too, where are you flying to?
Want to have a drink together on the 12th?

Edit: I'm going by myself
Reply 171
yodude888
I'm travelling back to Switzerland on the 13th too, where are you flying to?
Want to have a drink together on the 12th?

Edit: I'm going by myself

The 12th is definitely the day to go for a drink :yep: .
Reply 172
Mithra
The 12th is definitely the day to go for a drink :yep: .

Can't wait :yep:
Reply 173
You Swiss have never been to a proper english pub :eek:
Reply 174
Mithra
You Swiss have never been to a proper english pub :eek:

Big generalisation my friend. I can out-drink you in any pub in the world. I've been to many english pubs, but prefer scottish pubs :wink:
I was driven down by my mum so she could go shopping. Think she just wanted to be there - she was much more nervous and excited than I was!
Reply 176
yodude888
Big generalisation my friend. I can out-drink you in any pub in the world. I've been to many english pubs, but prefer scottish pubs :wink:

Out-drink me eh? I'll have you know I'm a large part Scottish AND from Essex :cool: .
I'm going on my own - getting the train down the day before, staying in college and returning after the interview. It's quite a long journey with a couple of changes but I'm 18 - I should be responsible enough to travel on a train on my own.

I have some friends with very protective parents though. My best friend's dad is taking two days off work (and he's a head of sixth form - I feel for the people who won't have sent their UCAS off and won't be able to see him for two days) to drive her down, then he's going to stay in a hotel because the college don't accomodate friends/family. Another friend's mum is driving her there and back on the day. My mum's being saying she feels guilty now but tbh I think it's part of the experience. Neither of my parents have jobs that they can easily get days off from and the college wouldn't give them a room so they'd have to find somewhere to stay. Also, this time next year I'll be at uni all on my own - I have to be independent sometimes. I think the only time my mum is worried about is after the interview, because she knows what a state I'll be in if it doesn't go well and she says she doesn't want me being upset all the way home on my own. So I said that it'll just have to go well then :tongue:
Reply 178
coolh5000
I'm going on my own - getting the train down the day before, staying in college and returning after the interview. It's quite a long journey with a couple of changes but I'm 18 - I should be responsible enough to travel on a train on my own.

I have some friends with very protective parents though. My best friend's dad is taking two days off work (and he's a head of sixth form - I feel for the people who won't have sent their UCAS off and won't be able to see him for two days) to drive her down, then he's going to stay in a hotel because the college don't accomodate friends/family. Another friend's mum is driving her there and back on the day. My mum's being saying she feels guilty now but tbh I think it's part of the experience. Neither of my parents have jobs that they can easily get days off from and the college wouldn't give them a room so they'd have to find somewhere to stay. Also, this time next year I'll be at uni all on my own - I have to be independent sometimes. I think the only time my mum is worried about is after the interview, because she knows what a state I'll be in if it doesn't go well and she says she doesn't want me being upset all the way home on my own. So I said that it'll just have to go well then :tongue:

Seriously? That's a bit weird :s-smilie: - I've been travelling around britain on trains/coaches etc. on my own for about 6 or 7 years now, thought it was standard practice :confused:

J
Reply 179
Mithra
Out-drink me eh? I'll have you know I'm a large part Scottish AND from Essex :cool: .

My whole family is Scottish... and living in Switzerland I've been brought up drinking with family over dinners since age 7... and started drinking socially at 13.

Aaaanyway, on topic again, sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending