Aerospace Engineering 2023

I have offers from
- Uni of Sheffield MEng + Year in North America
- Uni of Bristol MEng
- Loughborough Uni BEng
(Waiting on Durham + Bath)

I'm unsure on my favourite/firm.

Sheffield has cheap living, costs and a year abroad in North America
Bristol is significantly more expensive, and does offer a year abroad however only applicable by transfer once already in.

Although I can't decide on if Bristol being situated near lots of the major engineering industry is a more significant factor.

Whats everyone's opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Id say Bristol would have been my preference followed by Sheffield for firm.

Bristol is very reputable in general reputation & engineering, it sits at the heart of British aerospace industry .. and personally i like the size of city, think it’s a great environment for someone interested in nightlife, academics, careers & research in-house.

But this is my personal opinion based on my preferences.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Bristol for sure. You'll also get an industry mentor.
Hi @jdmicro,

I saw that you mentioned Loughborough, so I wanted to reply and try to help!

I recommend that you look at whether a course's modules stand out to you more or not to help you with your decision. You'll be the one studying the course, so you should have a firm interest in studying what it will cover.

Furthermore, you could look at the facilities the university offers. For instance, you may have done this already, but if you look at the Aeronautical Engineering BEng course page on the Loughborough University website, you'll be able to see the facilities we have, the course rankings, student stories, opportunities to study abroad, professional recognition and where recent graduates have gone on to work: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/aeronautical-engineering-beng/

My second point is to think about what kind of university environment you want to be a part of. You could prefer a city university or a campus university, and this could factor in your decision. Plus, you may want to be a part of a certain society or team and one of the universities has more attractive opportunities for you to get involved with.

Leading on from this, you should think about location. How close do you want to be to certain places? Do you want good connections to other cities?

I understand that choosing a course and a university to go to can be really tough, but you must choose whichever place just feels right for you. Maybe visit some of the places if you haven't already or look at virtual tours, so you can get a feel for the university to help with making your decision.

I know you may have considered these areas, but I hope I've helped in some way! If you have any further questions about Loughborough as a place to learn, please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck with your future studies! :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi
My name is Saikat, and I am a Student Ambassador at Coventry University.
I would highly recommend you to have a look at aerospace engineering courses at Coventry university.
With excellent teaching excellence, fully-fledged tech labs and excellent innovation and a rich research record in the engineering field, you can really have an excellent career in this field of choice.
For details - https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/ug/eec/aerospace-systems-engineering-beng-hons/

Wishing you Best
Saikat Dey
Student Ambassador & MBA student
Coventry University

Original post by jdmicro
I have offers from
- Uni of Sheffield MEng + Year in North America
- Uni of Bristol MEng
- Loughborough Uni BEng
(Waiting on Durham + Bath)

I'm unsure on my favourite/firm.

Sheffield has cheap living, costs and a year abroad in North America
Bristol is significantly more expensive, and does offer a year abroad however only applicable by transfer once already in.

Although I can't decide on if Bristol being situated near lots of the major engineering industry is a more significant factor.

Whats everyone's opinions?
Reply 5
Just wondering what were your predicted grades? And when did you apply? Just because I am still waiting for an offer from Bristol as they put me on hold since I applied as an early applicant.
Reply 6
Original post by dh.101
Just wondering what were your predicted grades? And when did you apply? Just because I am still waiting for an offer from Bristol as they put me on hold since I applied as an early applicant.

Applied start of Nov Predicted A*A*A*.
Reply 7
What subjects are you doing?
And did they put you on hold?

I do chem physics and maths and have A*A*A* but they put me on hold when I applied in mid October. Don't know if I should be worried
Original post by jdmicro
Applied start of Nov Predicted A*A*A*.
Reply 8
Original post by dh.101

On Ucas I originally applied for study abroad year with modern language mistaking it for the study abroad you can only get onto by transfer. I don’t have a GCSE langauge so they requested more qualifications. I then rang the admissions team number and sorted it out changed it to regular MENG aerospace and it was sorted.
Reply 9
Hi,
I am student in 6th form year 12 and still haven't decided what course I want to do. Aerospace engineering looks quite interesting so I just want to know if anybody is studying aerospace and what is it like
Original post by AMN789
Hi,
I am student in 6th form year 12 and still haven't decided what course I want to do. Aerospace engineering looks quite interesting so I just want to know if anybody is studying aerospace and what is it like

What would you like to know?
Reply 11
I just want to know what is a normal day like as an aerospace engineer.
Is there a lot of maths/physics? etc.

Is it an exciting job or will do you just work in some dull warehouse.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jdmicro
Original post by dh.101

On Ucas I originally applied for study abroad year with modern language mistaking it for the study abroad you can only get onto by transfer. I don’t have a GCSE langauge so they requested more qualifications. I then rang the admissions team number and sorted it out changed it to regular MENG aerospace and it was sorted.

Ahhh okay I see, it's good you got it sorted, so did they give you the offer straight after you switched?

I am just worried as a lot have been placed on hold, but I have 3A*s in their required subjects so surely it should work itself out? Fingers crossed
Reply 13
Original post by dh.101
Ahhh okay I see, it's good you got it sorted, so did they give you the offer straight after you switched?

I am just worried as a lot have been placed on hold, but I have 3A*s in their required subjects so surely it should work itself out? Fingers crossed

No they didnt give offer straight away after I switched, also I wouldn't worry about this on hold thing. If you are just ring their admissions number and ask.
Reply 14
I dont know if ringing them up might be 'annoying' to them 😂 because they can't really say anything anyway. What subjects do you do btw? Also is Bristol your first choice.
Original post by jdmicro
No they didnt give offer straight away after I switched, also I wouldn't worry about this on hold thing. If you are just ring their admissions number and ask.
Reply 15
Original post by dh.101
I dont know if ringing them up might be 'annoying' to them 😂 because they can't really say anything anyway. What subjects do you do btw? Also is Bristol your first choice.

I'd just ring them up to ask, its not like your going to ring them up and they're going to mark on your application its 'annoying us' and have an effect on the outcome of your application.

I do Maths Physics and History. I don't think i'm going to chose Bristol, Sheffield Firm is my go to at the minute.
Firstly congrats for your offer . BTW would you mind sharing your offer conditions

Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi
My name is Saikat, and I am a Student Ambassador at Coventry University.
I would highly recommend you to have a look at aerospace engineering courses at Coventry university.
With excellent teaching excellence, fully-fledged tech labs and excellent innovation and a rich research record in the engineering field, you can really have an excellent career in this field of choice.
For details - https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/ug/eec/aerospace-systems-engineering-beng-hons/

Wishing you Best
Saikat Dey
Student Ambassador & MBA student
Coventry University
Reply 17
Have you heard back from all unis yet?
Original post by jdmicro
I'd just ring them up to ask, its not like your going to ring them up and they're going to mark on your application its 'annoying us' and have an effect on the outcome of your application.

I do Maths Physics and History. I don't think i'm going to chose Bristol, Sheffield Firm is my go to at the minute.
Reply 18
(Original post by dh.101)Have you heard back from all unis yet?

Original post by dh.101
Have you heard back from all unis yet?

All but Durham, where are you applying?
Reply 19
Original post by jdmicro
(Original post by dh.101)Have you heard back from all unis yet?

All but Durham, where are you applying?

Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham. Offers from all but on hold for Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest