The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Wanting to study Psychology at UCL but only JUST met the entry requirement...

Hello all,

I'm an IB student who just applied through UCAS. I applied to UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Bristol. UCL is the one I really wanted to get into out of all these schools, kind of my dream school. The entry requirement on its website said: 39 points in total, 19 in three higher level subjects to include grade 6 in one subject, but preferably two, from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology, with no higher level score below 5.

I met all of these requirements, with a total predicted score of 39, 7, 6, 6 in HL subjects (Math AI, Psychology, and Chinese respectively), and I think my personal statement is pretty good. However, since I have only just met their entry requirement in everything academic, I don't know if I stand a chance at all... What do you guys think?

Apart from UCL, Do you guys think if I can get into the other 4 schools? I applied on 29/11/2022 and still remain 0 offers...
Hey, I'm not applying to psychology but I'm also applying to UCL and KCL. I don't think you should be so worried about results right now since some schools (especially UCL) do not reply until after the January deadline. Most schools are on holiday and take a while to process the applications.

Regarding the UCL application, I personally, as I mentioned above, am not applying to psychology, but I know someone who has applied before and based on what they have said, UCL psychology is a bit competitive. They had 2403 applicants in 2022 with 264 given an offer (based on official UCL FOI request data). However, I do think 39 is a good score just as an IB score, and though it is borderline, taking into consideration how UCL's requirements are high, I think there could be a chance. I'm not 100% sure though, I suggest searching online for the FOI request on UCL's BSc psychology (assuming you're doing BSc) average offer holder score.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
it's highly likely you'll get at least one of KCL/Manc/Bristol with those grades
Original post by Noraaaa0818
Hello all,

I'm an IB student who just applied through UCAS. I applied to UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Bristol. UCL is the one I really wanted to get into out of all these schools, kind of my dream school. The entry requirement on its website said: 39 points in total, 19 in three higher level subjects to include grade 6 in one subject, but preferably two, from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology, with no higher level score below 5.

I met all of these requirements, with a total predicted score of 39, 7, 6, 6 in HL subjects (Math AI, Psychology, and Chinese respectively), and I think my personal statement is pretty good. However, since I have only just met their entry requirement in everything academic, I don't know if I stand a chance at all... What do you guys think?

Apart from UCL, Do you guys think if I can get into the other 4 schools? I applied on 29/11/2022 and still remain 0 offers...

Hi, am an IB student too, and also applied to Psych at UCL (MSci). UCL is going to take awhile. You've probably also read on the main UCL applicant forum that many are still waiting to hear back from them, and they can drag it out till May. UCL received my UCAS application on 7th Oct, and the status on Portico has not changed.

UCL Psych is competitive but it really depends on the cohort of applicants in this cycle, and what kind of grades they are presenting. UCL has rejected 45 pointers before, and have also offered to 39 pointers, and with a lot in between. Who knows exactly what the admission tutors see. So there is always hope. Good luck!
Hey guys! I am an international student hoping to study psych BCs in UCL. I have 40 overall, 776, with only psych higher level. on the website they said "one, but preferably two, of the following higher level subjects: psych, maths, bio, chem and physics". do i still have a chance if i only do one?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hey guys! I am an international student hoping to study psych BCs in UCL. I have 40 overall, 776, with only psych higher level. on the website they said "one, but preferably two, of the following higher level subjects: psych, maths, bio, chem and physics". do i still have a chance if i only do one?

Hi! Of course you will still have a chance! Just know that there is a preference for more than one, and most applicants will present two or more. It does depend largely on the cohort this year and how competitive it is. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending