The Student Room Group

PhD application w/ bad 2nd year grades?

I'm currently in my 3rd year of a 4-year integrated masters programme and thinking about doing a PhD.

I've struggled with lack of motivation, concentration, discpline, etc. since I was a child but was still able to achieve decent grades up until I started secondary school. This is when I started to suspect that there was something wrong with me as realised that my lack of concentration was affecting my grades. I brought it up on several occasions over the years to different adults but was dismissed pretty much every time and eventually gave up on trying to get help with my issue.

Fast forward to October 2020, my issues never went away and actually seemed to get a bit worse as I got older but I've managed to get into university. My first year was during Covid so I spent most of it at home. First year doesn't count towards the final grade at my university so I didn't make much of an effort. I ended up passing but didn't get a good grade.

During second year I struggled A LOT and ended up failing two modules and having to retake some exams in order to remain on my course.
While this was a really terrible experience overall, it did give me the push I needed to go and get my "issues" checked out. I was finally diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago and prescribed medication. I honestly feel like I have a new lease on life! I've been able to focus and actually retain information for, what feels like, the first time ever. I actually feel like I could come out of this with a good grade if I work hard enough and this has made me feel more confident in pursuing a PhD.

However a lot of PhD programmes (especially at competitive universities) require academic transcripts i.e. a list of every module you've taken and the grade you got. So even if I do really well in my last 2 years (which count for 80% of my degree) and get a good overall grade, my transcript will be stained by my poor performance pre-diagnosis.

Is there any point in applying for PhDs at competitive/prestigious universities with poor 2nd year grades? Any success stories?
Original post by mindurphysness
I'm currently in my 3rd year of a 4-year integrated masters programme and thinking about doing a PhD.

I've struggled with lack of motivation, concentration, discpline, etc. since I was a child but was still able to achieve decent grades up until I started secondary school. This is when I started to suspect that there was something wrong with me as realised that my lack of concentration was affecting my grades. I brought it up on several occasions over the years to different adults but was dismissed pretty much every time and eventually gave up on trying to get help with my issue.

Fast forward to October 2020, my issues never went away and actually seemed to get a bit worse as I got older but I've managed to get into university. My first year was during Covid so I spent most of it at home. First year doesn't count towards the final grade at my university so I didn't make much of an effort. I ended up passing but didn't get a good grade.

During second year I struggled A LOT and ended up failing two modules and having to retake some exams in order to remain on my course.
While this was a really terrible experience overall, it did give me the push I needed to go and get my "issues" checked out. I was finally diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago and prescribed medication. I honestly feel like I have a new lease on life! I've been able to focus and actually retain information for, what feels like, the first time ever. I actually feel like I could come out of this with a good grade if I work hard enough and this has made me feel more confident in pursuing a PhD.

However a lot of PhD programmes (especially at competitive universities) require academic transcripts i.e. a list of every module you've taken and the grade you got. So even if I do really well in my last 2 years (which count for 80% of my degree) and get a good overall grade, my transcript will be stained by my poor performance pre-diagnosis.

Is there any point in applying for PhDs at competitive/prestigious universities with poor 2nd year grades? Any success stories?

Yes, there will (hopefully for you) be a step change in grades, and it will be explained by the diagnosis and evidently controlled by mediation. So what is the on-going problem? There doesn't seem to be one.
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, there will (hopefully for you) be a step change in grades, and it will be explained by the diagnosis and evidently controlled by mediation. So what is the on-going problem? There doesn't seem to be one.

Ah ok. I know some people applying to PhDs and they're finding it stressful even though they've been getting good grades all throughout their degrees. If they're being rejected despite having consistent grades for all 4 years, what chance do I have? I know there are other factors but I kind of assumed that grades were the biggest.
Thanks for the reply!
I know I am two months late but thought I would share my experience as I think it is very similar to yours.

I am in my final year of an integrated master's and have been applying for PhDs throughout the year. During my first year, I really struggled to settle into university and failed some assignments terribly (which obviously doesn't count towards my degree but it looks bad on the transcript!)

My second year was heavily impacted by my mental health and COVID. While I scraped a 2.1 and therefore cannot say that I did badly overall, certain assessments on my transcript really stand out (particularly a very low grade in microbiology which is not ideal considering that's what I want to do after graduation). Regardless, if your grades in second and third year are on an upward trajectory, particularly for things such as literature reviews and projects, you can definitely make up for the lower grades during the first half of your degree! Also, there is so much more to PhD applications than grades. As long as you are definitely going to get the 2.1/1st required for entry into the PhD, things like personal statements have a much bigger bearing on getting to the interview stage.

In summary: my second-year grades were not ideal and I have had no issues securing a PhD! Good luck and hope your third/fourth year goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending