The Student Room Group

is this enough for a gap year?

i'm in year 13 and planning to take a gap year. i'm applying for accounting and finance, and these are the things i've planned so far on doing:

- getting a part time job
- internship
- MOOCs (future learn)
- probably gonna do another a level
- wider reading
- learning a new language
- and then there's travelling but that's not really a priority

do you have anything else you'd recommend? what else can i do to boost my ucas application?
Original post by solitusutopia
i'm in year 13 and planning to take a gap year. i'm applying for accounting and finance, and these are the things i've planned so far on doing:

- internship
- MOOCs (future learn)
- wider reading

do you have anything else you'd recommend? what else can i do to boost my ucas application?

These are all great things and should be plenty to keep you busy! But the best thing you can do to boost your UCAS application is to not forget about your A levels - you have to ace them first and get the grades you need :smile:

Good luck with your A levels and enjoy your gap year,
SY
Reply 2

- internship
- MOOCs (future learn)
- wider reading

I thought that Internships are only available for 2nd/3rd year uni students. I think that you would only be able to qualify for work experience and things like that. Maybe some are available but might be rare to find one.
These all sound brill! It sounds like you're excited for life after A-levels and wanting to do something really productive. I bet you could combine some ogf these- for example you could do some reading in another language! I find short stories or kids stories really useful when practicing my Spanish and French, along with watching TV in those languages!
- internship
- MOOCs (future learn)
- wider reading
Go to the gym.
Original post by Wired_1800
Go to the gym.
i'm only talking abt things that r gonna help me w my ucas application
Original post by Yipiyap_Brooke
These all sound brill! It sounds like you're excited for life after A-levels and wanting to do something really productive. I bet you could combine some ogf these- for example you could do some reading in another language! I find short stories or kids stories really useful when practicing my Spanish and French, along with watching TV in those languages!
i'm not excited at all lol. i just want to do stuff that r gonna boost my ucas application so i don't waste my gap year
- internship
- MOOCs (future learn)
- wider reading
Hi there,

These all sound great and are more than enough to keep you busy! Just remember not to over-exert yourself. Keep up with self-care and take breaks when you need them.

Wider reading and learning a new language are great fillers for your personal statement - another A-level can also be good but may not be necessary for your studies at university as long as you already have three good grades. If you believe you would enjoy studying it then absolutely go for it but its a lot of work alongside your other plans.

Good luck with your year,

Sophie (uni of Bath)

i'm only talking abt things that r gonna help me w my ucas application
Ok

Quick Reply

Latest