The Student Room Group

a level choices

for a levels, i am taking maths, french, and the either biology and chemistry or switching one of those with economics, but I'm not sure whether I should switch because I want to take economics as I find it really interesting but I think I have more of a chance in doing something sciency like a psychologist, what should I choose?
why not maths, econ and either bio or chem? if you enjoy econ you should definitely do it as you will be more likely to get a better grade. french seems a bit random in this combo but if you enjoy french then go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by maddyloveridge1
why not maths, econ and either bio or chem? if you enjoy econ you should definitely do it as you will be more likely to get a better grade. french seems a bit random in this combo but if you enjoy french then go for it.

thnanks for the reply! i was thinking french as a 4th because I'm fluent in it but now I'm not sure about that either as there would still be a workload!
Original post by sania11
for a levels, i am taking maths, french, and the either biology and chemistry or switching one of those with economics, but I'm not sure whether I should switch because I want to take economics as I find it really interesting but I think I have more of a chance in doing something sciency like a psychologist, what should I choose?

Heya!
It depends on what you want to do in the future. For economics degrees you just need maths, so you don't really need economics alvl. If it helps, use uniguide alvl explorer to look into what options you can pick and what you can do with them :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL FPE
Study Mind
Original post by sania11
thnanks for the reply! i was thinking french as a 4th because I'm fluent in it but now I'm not sure about that either as there would still be a workload!

If you really like economics then it would deffo be worth taking it. How about maths, economics and French? A language always looks good.
You could do one of the sciences as your 4th to see how you go and drop it after year 12 if you really wanted to do a 4th
Reply 5
thank you for the help!
i want to keep my degree options open which is why i wanted to take the sciences but i think i should think abt it that way, thanks i'll think about itt that's really heloful
(Original post by Emma:-))If you really like economics then it would deffo be worth taking it. How about maths, economics and French? A language always looks good.
You could do one of the sciences as your 4th to see how you go and drop it after year 12 if you really wanted to do a 4th

thank you for the help!

i want to keep my degree options open which is why i wanted to take the sciences but i think i should think abt it that way, thanks i'll think about itt that's really heloful
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
It depends on what you want to do in the future. For economics degrees you just need maths, so you don't really need economics alvl. If it helps, use uniguide alvl explorer to look into what options you can pick and what you can do with them :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL FPE
Study Mind

yess that's really helpful thank you! i just recently found out actually, that I don't need economics alvls, thanks for the uniguide
Hey! This is just my personal take, but I would do Maths, French and Chemistry, and only Biology as well if I really enjoyed it. I'm not 100% but I doubt Biology is required for most STEM courses if you do both Chemistry and Maths anyway, and French is a nice one if you're fluent and I think you'd enjoy it - from someone who also loves French xx
4 A-levels is a lot of work though if you're not doing Further Maths as your 4th, as that usually feels more like 1/2 of one with maths with it. Only do it if you're extremely able. Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by physicschemgal
Hey! This is just my personal take, but I would do Maths, French and Chemistry, and only Biology as well if I really enjoyed it. I'm not 100% but I doubt Biology is required for most STEM courses if you do both Chemistry and Maths anyway, and French is a nice one if you're fluent and I think you'd enjoy it - from someone who also loves French xx
4 A-levels is a lot of work though if you're not doing Further Maths as your 4th, as that usually feels more like 1/2 of one with maths with it. Only do it if you're extremely able. Good luck!

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest