The Student Room Group

A level Biology Practice Questions - Help

Hello, I'm working my way through some practice Biology questions and I've come across one that has stumped me. I feel like maybe I'm just being a bit dense but could someone take a look at the question and walk me through how I'm supposed to work it out if you know how to do it please?

Question:
Scientists measured the rate of respiration in three parts of an ecosystem. They did this by measuring carbon dioxide released into the air by

leaves of plants
stems and roots of plants
non-photosynthetic soil organisms.

The table below shows the scientists’ results for these three parts of the ecosystem.

Part of
ecosystem
Mean rate of carbon dioxide production /
cm3 m−2 s−1
Percentage of total carbon dioxide production measured by the scientists

Leaves of
plants
0.032 25.0

Stems and
roots of plants
0.051 ?

Non-
photosynthetic
soil organisms
0.045 ?

(a) Complete the table to show the percentage of total carbon dioxide production by each part of the ecosystem. Show your working.

I know lots of sites give out an answer but I'd like to be able to actually understand it haha.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Redbannedrogue
Hello, I'm working my way through some practice Biology questions and I've come across one that has stumped me. I feel like maybe I'm just being a bit dense but could someone take a look at the question and walk me through how I'm supposed to work it out if you know how to do it please?

Question:
Scientists measured the rate of respiration in three parts of an ecosystem. They did this by measuring carbon dioxide released into the air by

leaves of plants
stems and roots of plants
non-photosynthetic soil organisms.

The table below shows the scientists’ results for these three parts of the ecosystem.

Part of
ecosystem
Mean rate of carbon dioxide production /
cm3 m−2 s−1
Percentage of total carbon dioxide production measured by the scientists

Leaves of
plants
0.032 25.0

Stems and
roots of plants
0.051 ?

Non-
photosynthetic
soil organisms
0.045 ?

(a) Complete the table to show the percentage of total carbon dioxide production by each part of the ecosystem. Show your working.

I know lots of sites give out an answer but I'd like to be able to actually understand it haha.

Starting with the leaves: we know that 0.032 cm3 m-2 s-1 is 25% of the total CO2 production measured.
Can you work out the value that would correspond to 100%?
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Starting with the leaves: we know that 0.032 cm3 m-2 s-1 is 25% of the total CO2 production measured.

Ah, I get it now lmao! Sorry it's super simple and I'm just being a muppet lmao thank you for being so helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to help. :smile:
Original post by Redbannedrogue
Ah, I get it now lmao! Sorry it's super simple and I'm just being a muppet lmao thank you for being so helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to help. :smile:

Aha don't worry, we are all muppets at times! Glad you get it now :smile:

can u explain pls?
Original post by techwiz12345
can u explain pls?

Which specific part(s)?
Which specific part(s)?

yes of course!! I am really stuck about how to work out what percentages the other values are (0.051 and 0.045) do you have to work out 1% i am so confused can you pls explain your working out to the question?
Original post by techwiz12345
yes of course!! I am really stuck about how to work out what percentages the other values are (0.051 and 0.045) do you have to work out 1% i am so confused can you pls explain your working out to the question?

Using the values for the leaves (0.032 cm3 m-2 s-1 is 25% of the total), you can work out the total rate of production (i.e. 100%). Let's call this value n.

We therefore know that 0.032 ÷ n = 0.25.
Do the same for the other rates: 0.051 ÷ n, and 0.045 ÷ n.
And then multiply these values by 100 to get each percentage :smile:
Using the values for the leaves (0.032 cm3 m-2 s-1 is 25% of the total), you can work out the total rate of production (i.e. 100%). Let's call this value n.

We therefore know that 0.032 ÷ n = 0.25.
Do the same for the other rates: 0.051 ÷ n, and 0.045 ÷ n.
And then multiply these values by 100 to get each percentage :smile:

superstar ! thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest