The Student Room Group

revising

How much revision should I do to get AAA in my upcoming mocks in a month when I get BCB?
also, what should I do to have efficient revision for psychology bio and geography?
Reply 1
I did A level Psychology and Biology so maybe I can help :smile:. For Psychology I posted an article on my profile on how I got an A/A*, which you can check. But to reiterate what I said in that: have your notes done for every spread that your class went through. This is what actually helped me get an A* in Paper 3 when I only revised the day before. Since psychology is quite a heavy subject, if you don’t have your own notes you can check out mine on my profile:smile:. Past papers papers. You might think that you only need to know the content to do well in psychology, but that type of thinking will make you fall into a trap. Although for me Psychology was easier than Biology I still needed to get familiar with the types of questions that might come up in the exam. So every day I would read a whole topic for 30 minutes to 1 hour making sure that I understood everything, and then I would spend 8 hours doing only exam questions on that one topic only. I would mark it and color code the questions I got wrong (e.g. evaluation, lack of application or wrong knowledge). Then I would put these questions I have gotten wrong into a document and when it came time to revise that topic again I would only revise those questions. And the questions I got wrong because of lack of knowledge I would revise that spread again or do blurting. But in retrospect I wouldn’t suggest doing 9 hours in 1 day of only one subject knowing you have to also focus on the others. Personally this is what worked for me because I didn’t have much time in the days leading up to my exam. So maybe you can 4 hours of exam questions per subject instead. I would also suggest you focus on strategies to gain more marks during the exam for psychology instead of showing off your knowledge and waste time. I talked about this more in depth in my article so I won’t do it here. But this was for psychology and I hope it helped, sorry it was a bit long.
Reply 2
Original post by kxxthixa178
How much revision should I do to get AAA in my upcoming mocks in a month when I get BCB?
also, what should I do to have efficient revision for psychology bio and geography?

I just realised that I may not have answered your other question correctly. If you are speaking in terms of time then I would say it depends on how much revision you can handle. Do too much and you risk of burning out, do a little and you may not have time to cover everything. So I would say find your balance. Track your revision and how you are feeling after each revision session. For example if you feel tired after every session then I would suggest decreasing your revision time. Also if you create a timetable on when and how much to revise, try to be kind to yourself and don’t be delusional. If you put that you’re gonna revise x amount of time and have no fun activities then you might not even follow that timetable and just burn out. At least that’s what happened to me but you might have more self discipline than me lol. For me personally since I didn’t have much time before my A-levels I would revise 9 hours per subject and that 8 hour would be solely past papers, because if you’re gonna spend a lot of time revising, you should spend that time retrieving information instead of reading and re reading your textbook, And then redo the questions you got wrong , and that’s how you would revise effectively.
Reply 3
Original post by kxxthixa178

For Biology I would say my biggest mistake was trying to memorise the contents all throughout year 12 and year 13. And I just realised during A - level season that I just have just focused on understanding the contents and correct terminologies and also focus on the other aspects of Biology. I always struggled with Bio but unfortunately I couldn’t drop. And I went from E/D to a B and Cs in my last A-level, and for me personally I was proud of myself because that’s all I needed to get accepted in my firm university. Biology is not only about the the content of every topic, the other 2 aspects are the practical skills and the math skills. You need to make sure you revise the practicals that are associated with every topics as well as the practical skills. Because you might get a 5 marks question on how to do a certain practical. To know which practical and which techniques I needed to be familiar with I looked at the apparatus and techniques section of AQA as well as the required practicals, using this link: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/a-level-practical-assessment
You can find which practical belongs to which topic if you look at the specifications. But yeah basically for me Blurting wasn’t effective because I would just waste time memorising the topic. What was the most effective for me was reading the whole topic and then just attempting the past questions for 8 hours. I would just do every past papers under physics and math tutor. Unfortunately I didn’t have the time to mark most of these and I think that If I did and spent more time revisiting that way I could have gotten a B or an A, because I would actually get B and A and even once an A* in Bio. So to reiterate, revise the content, revise the practical skills, and revise the math skills. Then do past papers, which should be the bulk of your revision time. Avoid trying to memorise the contents in one go, since you will revisit it doing papers anyways.
Also make sure you watch Miss estruch videos because she the one who actually saved my paper 3 by predicting the essay that was gonna come up. She also has videos of every topics, practical skills and how to improve your math skills. She also sells revision notes, which are the ones that I bought and I don’t regret buying.

Quick Reply

Latest