The Student Room Group

christianity and feeling god's presence

Hello,

im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this. But altely i've been wanting to grow my realtionship wiht god and i alwys think that i will do it and the only way to do is by reading the bible and praying. But i struggle with a majjor sin, a sin that i've become addicted to, i've been doing it eveyrday since 2019, i cant stop that. that sin is aking me so feel so far away from god. i ask for forgivness and then do it agian and again. i jsut feel like if i keep asking for foregivness and doing it again, god will stop loving me and treat me as damaegd good and not answer me when i am struggling.
i believe God loves and forgives unconditionally
Reply 2
Original post by Unevu
Hello,

im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this. But altely i've been wanting to grow my realtionship wiht god and i alwys think that i will do it and the only way to do is by reading the bible and praying. But i struggle with a majjor sin, a sin that i've become addicted to, i've been doing it eveyrday since 2019, i cant stop that. that sin is aking me so feel so far away from god. i ask for forgivness and then do it agian and again. i jsut feel like if i keep asking for foregivness and doing it again, god will stop loving me and treat me as damaegd good and not answer me when i am struggling.

Are you part of a church?
Reply 3
Well actually you have to look at all religions and the idea of Athiesm objectively. You must seek the truth out for yourself and determine which one is most logical. Which one has consistency and TRUTH? Many of these religions if read into enough can be seen as man made and fake yes, but one religion definetly isn't and that's up to you to research and dive your sould into.

The idea of Athiesm is flawed, how can everything in this earth be an accident? It doesn't make sense. Everything works together in unison, the water system, our environment, the bees, our digestive systems, our brains, the universe, etc. All of this is living proof that there is a creator out there, saying other wise unless by being emotional is being foolish.

Now. I accept the fact that there is a greater diety or being above us, it's here and you can see it. Be it god, a universe, whatever you want. Our job is to try and find out what it is and live by the laws of whatever we find to be true.

This is my perspective of life, hope this helps. Stay safe.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
I know the feeling. We all have our flaws but God loves us so much. Remember none of us are perfect only Jesus is perfect. Jesus died on the cross so that we could be forgiven of our sins no matter how bad they may seem by believing in Him.

It's great that you're connecting with God by praying and reading the bible. Keep seeking God and ask Him to help you overcome your addiction. There is always a way with God. I will pray for you, God bless.
Reply 5
Original post by Unevu
Hello,

im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this. ....

If you get the right answer it is!
You need something better than the sin, a source of comfort, inspiration and "fire in the belly"

God, who knows us because he made us has just the thing!

His Spirit!

"have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed" (Acts 19:2)
Reply 6
Original post by NJA
If you get the right answer it is!
You need something better than the sin, a source of comfort, inspiration and "fire in the belly"

God, who knows us because he made us has just the thing!

His Spirit!

"have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed" (Acts 19:2)

hi, could you please expand on this, i don't really understand
Reply 7
Original post by Unevu
hi, could you please expand on this, i don't really understand

Neither did I . . . here's what happened

I was brought up Church of England, but I only went because my dad wanted me to go, there was nothing inspiring there for me so when I left for University I stopped going. While there I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl!

So when some people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”, believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work out God's will for me, without success! All I got was opinions.

Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts. I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing 2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his people in as only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister his grace & love to our hearts - 1 Cor. 14v2, 4; Jude 20-21). They also had other direct input and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same as them or whatever else I needed.

One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said yes to me (because he could have no favourites), and wanting nothing more, I prayed and spoke in tongues and in the days that followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be something I was not! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.
I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be. The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life, we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that only the living God can give. I am now able to know God's thoughts and live according to His nature because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me, so long as I'm disciplined to look at things God's way . . . that's the "good fight".

What God has done for one, he will do for another.

The best thing is to come to a meeting of people that have this, I'm with these.
Reply 8
Original post by NJA

There are C of E churches which are full of the Holy Spirit ...
Reply 9
Original post by NJA

I was brought up Church of England, but I only went because my dad wanted me to go, there was nothing inspiring there for me so when I left for University I stopped going. While there I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl!

So when some people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”, believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work out God's will for me, without success! All I got was opinions.

Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts. I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing 2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his people in as only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister his grace & love to our hearts - 1 Cor. 14v2, 4; Jude 20-21). They also had other direct input and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same as them or whatever else I needed.

One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said yes to me (because he could have no favourites), and wanting nothing more, I prayed and spoke in tongues and in the days that followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be something I was not! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.
I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be. The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life, we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that only the living God can give. I am now able to know God's thoughts and live according to His nature because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me, so long as I'm disciplined to look at things God's way . . . that's the "good fight".

What God has done for one, he will do for another.

The best thing is to come to a meeting of people that have this, I'm with these.

Thank you, really needed this
Original post by Unevu
Hello,

Heyyy, I hope this post finds you well, and I think God was really intentional in bringing this post to me because I feel the same way too. Like God is calling me out of a certain habit, but I have found it really hard to shake it. And I have tried so many times to compromise but God doesn't want me to partially be in light or partially experience freedom. He died for me and you cuz he loves us fully and wants us to be fully free. So I hope you know that God loves you oh so much no matter how much you sin (Romans 8:1), his death forgave you of your sins past and present and you are no less human because Jesus has forever washed you of your sin. Now, I know you know that God's love isn't a license to continue sinning, and God understands how hard it is for you to shelve your sin, but that's the beauty of having a relationship with a sovereign God. He gives us the power to overcome sin (Phillipans 4:13) and just hand this situation to him. Practically, we you feel tempted remind yourself of certain scriptures, have some sort of blocker that prevents you from doing said thing, have accountability partners that tell you to stop doing what you are doing, and most importantly pray(that God strengthens you and gives you the supernatural willpower) and keep talking to God about this. He is so proud that you want to leave your sin, and that you are so enamoured by following Him. Hope this helps <3
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by MsBobatea123
Heyyy, I hope this post finds you well, and I think God was really intentional in bringing this post to me because I feel the same way too. Like God is calling me out of a certain habit, but I have found it really hard to shake it. And I have tried so many times to compromise but God doesn't want me to partially be in light or partially experience freedom. He died for me and you cuz he loves us fully and wants us to be fully free. So I hope you know that God loves you oh so much no matter how much you sin (Romans 8:1), his death forgave you of your sins past and present and you are no less human because Jesus has forever washed you of your sin. Now, I know you know that God's love isn't a license to continue sinning, and God understands how hard it is for you to shelve your sin, but that's the beauty of having a relationship with a sovereign God. He gives us the power to overcome sin (Phillipans 4:13) and just hand this situation to him. Practically, we you feel tempted remind yourself of certain scriptures, have some sort of blocker that prevents you from doing said thing, have accountability partners that tell you to stop doing what you are doing, and most importantly pray(that God strengthens you and gives you the supernatural willpower) and keep talking to God about this. He is so proud that you want to leave your sin, and that you are so enamoured by following Him. Hope this helps <3

Thank you for this message, really needed to see this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending