The Student Room Group

Exam’s Tips and Advice

Hi, what advice would you give please to be best prepared for exams these types of assessment happen to be my weakness and I have 2 more exams to go and I really want to get maximum marks possible. I usually revisit the content of my lectures, taking key notes before practicing sample questions of what may come up and then I read out loud to remember my answers to the question for the exam.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi, what advice would you give please to be best prepared for exams these types of assessment happen to be my weakness and I have 2 more exams to go and I really want to get maximum marks possible. I usually revisit the content of my lectures, taking key notes before practicing sample questions of what may come up and then I read out loud to remember my answers to the question for the exam.

Hey there @Mohammed_80 !
Here are some of my tips and tricks for studying for exams and recalling information.

1 - Revisit everything you've learned...
This one goes without saying but make sure you're going back and testing yourself everyday to keep it fresh in your mind. Use flashcards to test yourself and make two separate piles: one of the cards you got right and one of the cards you got wrong. Then keep going over the ones you've got wrong until you can confidently do the whole deck of flashcards correctly. Use post-it notes with facts on and stick them up in places you often go. For example, I'll stick them around my bathroom mirror so that I look at them every time I'm brushing my teeth. You could even attach them to your fridge or kitchen cupboards so you look at them everytime you go in there.

2 - Read past answers and feedback...
Ask your lecturers for past papers and the marks they got. Read the answers and make your own notes about what you would have done differently and then write what was successful about the answer. Then compare this to the actual feedback they received so you can add to your list what you missed. Visualising what a good exam answer looks like and contains will help you tailor your answer to this criteria. If you wanted to, you could then have a go at the question using the feedback that the other student got. It's all about practise.

3 - Use different ways of learning...
Don't just rely one revising in one certain way because you're not going to know what's actually worked for you until the day of the exam. Choose loads of different ways such as mind-maps, answering questions, flashcards and past papers so you've got the best chance of succeeding. Why don't you try learning with friends? Get them to test you on the information because getting some fresh ears on the situation may help you to learn better.

4 - Use your time wisely...
Don't leave everything to the last minute because the information will exit your brain just as quickly as it went in. Revise little and often to keep things fresh in your head and remember to take regular breaks. No one was ever successful by cramming for two hours straight. Doing small bits then taking a break and revisiting it in an hour or two will give you the best chance of actually retaining the information.

5 - Find a good balance between study and a healthy lifestyle...
Cramming will be extremely stressful for your brain and make it a lot harder to actually do well. Make sure you're drinking lots of water whilst studying and remember to not just spend your day in the same room because you'll start to associate that place with negative connotations and you won't want to be in there to do the work. Study in different places and remember to get your steps in during periods of stress. I always remember someone telling me there's evidence to say that if you chew gum whilst revising and then chew that same flavour of gum in the exam, it will be easier to retain the information but I'm not a scientist and don't know whether there's any truth in that for sure. It always seemed to work well for me but I don't know if that was just placebo.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Mohammed_80 !
Here are some of my tips and tricks for studying for exams and recalling information.

1 - Revisit everything you've learned...
This one goes without saying but make sure you're going back and testing yourself everyday to keep it fresh in your mind. Use flashcards to test yourself and make two separate piles: one of the cards you got right and one of the cards you got wrong. Then keep going over the ones you've got wrong until you can confidently do the whole deck of flashcards correctly. Use post-it notes with facts on and stick them up in places you often go. For example, I'll stick them around my bathroom mirror so that I look at them every time I'm brushing my teeth. You could even attach them to your fridge or kitchen cupboards so you look at them everytime you go in there.

2 - Read past answers and feedback...
Ask your lecturers for past papers and the marks they got. Read the answers and make your own notes about what you would have done differently and then write what was successful about the answer. Then compare this to the actual feedback they received so you can add to your list what you missed. Visualising what a good exam answer looks like and contains will help you tailor your answer to this criteria. If you wanted to, you could then have a go at the question using the feedback that the other student got. It's all about practise.

3 - Use different ways of learning...
Don't just rely one revising in one certain way because you're not going to know what's actually worked for you until the day of the exam. Choose loads of different ways such as mind-maps, answering questions, flashcards and past papers so you've got the best chance of succeeding. Why don't you try learning with friends? Get them to test you on the information because getting some fresh ears on the situation may help you to learn better.

4 - Use your time wisely...
Don't leave everything to the last minute because the information will exit your brain just as quickly as it went in. Revise little and often to keep things fresh in your head and remember to take regular breaks. No one was ever successful by cramming for two hours straight. Doing small bits then taking a break and revisiting it in an hour or two will give you the best chance of actually retaining the information.

5 - Find a good balance between study and a healthy lifestyle...
Cramming will be extremely stressful for your brain and make it a lot harder to actually do well. Make sure you're drinking lots of water whilst studying and remember to not just spend your day in the same room because you'll start to associate that place with negative connotations and you won't want to be in there to do the work. Study in different places and remember to get your steps in during periods of stress. I always remember someone telling me there's evidence to say that if you chew gum whilst revising and then chew that same flavour of gum in the exam, it will be easier to retain the information but I'm not a scientist and don't know whether there's any truth in that for sure. It always seemed to work well for me but I don't know if that was just placebo.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thank you Lucy :smile:
@Mohammed80

It sounds like you are already doing a lot of the right things : )

The nature of exams is that you just don't know what will turn up, so it can be difficult to know how to revise, but here are some ideas.

Try to focus on the bigger topics which are more likely to come up (and where you will need to know your stuff!)

Don't just memorise answers but think about the key words/ ideas that you need to mention.

You can use these words and ideas to practise writing answers.

If you were trying to explain something to someone else, what would you need to say?

If your exam will be on a computer, practising typing your answers.

Decorating your room with revision notes can also help as you are sub-consciously processing information, though it's also good to take time to read the notes when you walk around your room.

Try to get a goodnight sleep before the exam and eat a good breakfast.

(Personally, I like to have a cut of point with revision i.e. I will revise the night before but will stop at 9pm for example and not look at anything more after that. I will not look at anything the next day. I find it rests my mind and helps me to retain what I have revised. If I try to do extra revision, I can't remember it and I find it difficult to remember what I did before.
For the same reason, I also try to avoid talking to my classmates before entering the exam hall to avoid talking about revision as I feel like it makes me forget what I have learnt/distracts my thinking and my ability to recall information.)

Read questions carefully in the exam.

Check the number of marks the question has.

Read through your answers at the end of the exam to make sure you have not missed anything!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield
Hi
Lets look at these tips for exam.

Having good grades is always a common dream for students. However, we dread writing exams till it even brings tension or causes ill health. But with the required preparations and strategies, you will write well and get the grades you desire.
Here are some tips that you can follow to help you get through the exam stress and tension.

Have Revision Timetable
Create a workable timetable that you can keep to. Have a list of courses you are offering, fix them in different days of the week and read the topics you need to cover for exam. When it feels like you do not understand what you are reading, keep going through the lines and with time, you will realize that something is actually entering your brain. Work with this timetable till the school’s official timetable is released.

Make Notes in Your Own Fonts
Aside the jottings you made during classes, I advice you make comprehensive notes out of the lecturer’s teachings and from the research you made. It is easier to understand a note made in your handwriting that reading from your textbook or getting notes from a colleague.

Do Not Be Afraid To Study
It is not enough to create a personal timetable or attend classes and make notes. If you do not study, you will either fail or not pass well. It is not easy to read, but you should strive and get the zeal to read your books. No matter the minutes/ hours you spend, try and getting something into your. Reading a chapter in a day will go a long way.

Practice Past Questions
There are students who have passed through your present class and have their past questions with them. You can always find one and request for his/her question paper so that you could practice and be familiar with the question format and know how to answer each lecturer’s question. If you are unable to get from a senior student, you can check the school library and you will see questions dated 5yrs ago and more, till date.

Manage Your Time Well
Always plan yourself. Have a scheduled time for all activities you have to do for each day. Avoid using your time for things that are not worth it at the moment. Have your time for study, for eating, recreating, sleeping, etc.

Eat Well
It is only the living and a healthy person that will get the opportunity to write exam. In all you do, always eat healthy meals. Avoid being malnourished because you will not be able to study well and write your exams. The stress of reading and not eating well can make you break down and probably miss your exams. Eat fruits, solid meals and then junks can come in once in a while.

Minimize Your Screen Time
Avoid being on your phone always because it can be a source of distraction. If you spend 8 hours on social media on a normal day, minimize it to 3 hours. If possible, freeze your apps till after your exams. Train yourself that way and enjoy the reward. If you are unable to freeze your apps, you can use app timer to regulate how you use your apps.

Take A Break
Above all, take breaks. When you are overwhelmed, leave everything and rest. Forcing yourself to study will not help you. You will end up forgetting all that you have studied on the exam day. Resting from reading will help all that you have read sink well. If you need to take a walk and get fresh air, do not hesitate to. You can also find what interest you and do them. Play games, watch movies, chat with friends. An hour break will not make you fail.

I hope this helps
Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending