The Student Room Group

Mathematician job prospects

I am currently in sixth form, with the majority of my A levels being centred around mathematics, as it the area of academia I absolutely love and very good at. That being said, I was worried that because I want to do mathematics at higher education, that there may not be many job prospects for me if I were to go as high as possible in maths (My hope is to go to uni and work my way up to a doctorate following degree), but I was concerned that following this, there would be little to no job prospects for me fresh out of uni, I was wondering if this was necessarily true, and if not, where mathematicians tend to go to, either in the academic work sector or more industry-oriented (I know there is the general idea of finance but being a more broad-term thing I am unsure where I would even start looking)
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
I am currently in sixth form, with the majority of my A levels being centred around mathematics, as it the area of academia I absolutely love and very good at. That being said, I was worried that because I want to do mathematics at higher education, that there may not be many job prospects for me if I were to go as high as possible in maths (My hope is to go to uni and work my way up to a doctorate following degree), but I was concerned that following this, there would be little to no job prospects for me fresh out of uni, I was wondering if this was necessarily true, and if not, where mathematicians tend to go to, either in the academic work sector or more industry-oriented (I know there is the general idea of finance but being a more broad-term thing I am unsure where I would even start looking)

Maths graduates typically do very well after graduation. Key sectors are finance and tech, both of which pay very well and are in demand. A doctorate is probably overkill for the vast majority of roles, but both of the industries - and many others - do have positions which require and extremely high proficiency in maths. I certainly wouldn't worry about job prospects after university with a maths degree, though jobs don't tend to get offered to you on a plate so you'll need to do some research to find suitable roles, and make yourself a more competitive candidate. In many cases you might be competing against graduates from other highly mathematical degrees, such as physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending