The Student Room Group

NHS workers

those who have worked for the NHS... how long did your recruitment process take? i got my acceptance letter on 4th march, still waiting :frown: i have heard from some people that it took them 2-3 months to start their job which is making me quite upset :frown:
Reply 1
In the role I'm in now, it took almost 5 months. Obviously this will vary depending on what Trust/role you're applying for, they will need to carry out checks like enhanced DBS if you don't currently hold one which can take 6 weeks on average, you may also need to undertake an occy health assessment which again, takes time. Be patient, it's in your best interest that this isn't rushed, the NHS has its procedures and policy for a reason.
Original post by mmpi
In the role I'm in now, it took almost 5 months. Obviously this will vary depending on what Trust/role you're applying for, they will need to carry out checks like enhanced DBS if you don't currently hold one which can take 6 weeks on average, you may also need to undertake an occy health assessment which again, takes time. Be patient, it's in your best interest that this isn't rushed, the NHS has its procedures and policy for a reason.

ive had my DBS check and everything else, now just one a response from my referee ... how long did your occupational health assessment take? i have sent the form but have no idea what is going to happen (i dont know my blood work results so had to leave dsome sections blank)
Reply 3
In terms of time, it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario unfortunately.

Your referee will submit a reference, HR will review it and verify its accuracy, if they are satisfied then they will continue with the process. Not much will change until that step is completed.

In terms of occy health, you may need a physical assessment depending on the role or you may have a phone consultation from one of the occy health services for your trust. Once all the information is completed in all parts of the application, it will be reviewed again and you will be given a formal notice of Offer of Employment with a contract to sign, you will need to provide documents to payroll, and you may need to attend an appointment to verify all of your documents and identification in person - this especially applies if you are being issued with a Smart Card. Once that is all done, recruitment will liaise with the management at the facility you are going to, your information will be handed to a Line Manager. You'll then be given a start date which can vary in terms of notice but usually is within 28 days of being notified, then your on site training will begin and Bob's your Uncle.

It can be frustrating waiting especially when you're keen to start and get paid but each step is important, we work with the general public so the checks have to be in depth to ensure that everyone is safe. Remember it's not just your application that they are doing this for, it could be hundreds or thousands of people at a time.
thank you so much for explaining the whole process to me, i really appreciate that ! :smile: just out of curiosity, what is your job position in the NHS or your band?
Reply 5
Original post by applicantmsc
thank you so much for explaining the whole process to me, i really appreciate that ! :smile: just out of curiosity, what is your job position in the NHS or your band?

It's no problem at all, I know how frustrating it can be when you haven't got an idea of the scale of the process especially if it's your first NHS job.

I'm a Band 3 currently while I retrain. Depending on what aspect you go into, join a Union as soon as you start. Hopefully you won't ever need them for something serious but it's great to have them there especially when issues arise with pay/hours/adjustments etc. Shoot me a message if you think of anything else you need to know!
Reply 6
I'm waiting for starting date and allocation (I don't understand what they mean by allocation) it's been 6 weeks since I had my job offer letter and my mate already got her starting date

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending