The Student Room Group

Is Further Maths Required for the New Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology Course

I’m currently in Y12 studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level, and have just sent off my CyberEPQ, which my supervisor predicts to be an A*. I want to apply to Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology at Cambridge, as well as Chemical Engineering at Imperial. I got 11 9s and 1 8 at GCSE but went to a highly regarded private school. Will not having FM significantly disrupt my application for this new course (I’d assume less than general engineering if so due to the biology component), or will I be fine applying? Also, if I speak Spanish at home, would it be worth preparing to take it in Y13 by myself to boost my application with 4 A-levels, or would it not be worth the time (I know Imperial makes offers on 4, but most don’t).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ToastyCookie
I’m currently in Y12 studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level, and have just sent off my CyberEPQ, which my supervisor predicts to be an A*. I want to apply to Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology at Cambridge, as well as Chemical Engineering at Imperial. I got 11 9s and 1 8 at GCSE but went to a highly regarded private school. Will not having FM significantly disrupt my application for this new course (I’d assume less than general engineering if so due to the biology component), or will I be fine applying? Also, if I speak Spanish at home, would it be worth preparing to take it in Y13 by myself to boost my application with 4 A-levels, or would it not be worth the time (I know Imperial makes offers on 4, but most don’t).

I'd say it could disadvantage your application, BUT I know that someone from Tiffin school (a highly respected maths-based grammar school) who got into Cambridge Chemical engineering at Queens WITHOUT further maths. So I don't think it's mandatory, but it is highly desired.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum :smile:

I imagine FM would be a benefit to have but not explicitly required.

Note that chemical engineering tends to be one of the more mathematically oriented engineering fields so don't assume it would be less mathematical due to the biotechnology side.

Hi I am currently chemical engineering at Cambridge. In your course, you will have to study Maths but as they know not everyone is taught the same thing due to inconsistences in modules, exam boards and whether they study Further Maths or not, they will cover all the further maths content you need. Obviously, it would be easier if one studied the content before but through your supervisors and coursemates it should be fine. The Cambridge chemical engineering course doesn't require you to take further maths and they obviously wouldn't make it this way if it was impossible to do well with no further maths A-level. I'd say if you want to get a head start on uni maths, there will be ample time to look at a further maths textbook over the summer holiday before university starts after year 13 (I'm sure your school or a classmates could lend you one or there are many resources online). With regards, to Spanish A-level I would say it wouldn't be worth your time unless you are really passionate about it. It would be better to spend more time on your 3 relevant A-levels and attain highly on those.
Reply 4

FM is not "required" but I can tell you that they will cover the material at a speed which is probably too fast for most students (everyone I knew in first year who hadn't already done FM was immediately struggling/falling behind since they cover the entire syllabus in about 2 weeks).

For this reason, it would be sensible to cover the material yourself in your own time. And I would certainly recommend covering it this summer if possible (FM is really not a subject with a lot of actual content anyway). The question is if you want to cover it officially (i.e. sign yourself up for doing FM in year 13 through your school) or not. If you still go to a top school I would enquire about the possibility of doing FM in a single year and if they can accommodate to teach or at least oversee your progress in it.

A-Level Spanish will be a waste of time and effort for Cambridge. I hesitate to say "no" completely, since other universities might like it or accept it as part of the offer (Cambridge definitely wont accept it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending