The Student Room Group

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Ugandan President signs said bill into law

People who identify as gay in Uganda risk life in prison after parliament passed a new bill to crack down on homosexual activities.

The final version has yet to be officially published but elements discussed in parliament include:

A person who is convicted of grooming or trafficking children for purposes of engaging them in homosexual activities faces life in prison

Individuals or institutions which support or fund LGBT rights' activities or organisations, or publish, broadcast and distribute pro-gay media material and literature, also face prosecution and imprisonment

Media groups, journalists and publishers face prosecution and imprisonment for publishing, broadcasting, distribution of any content that advocates for gay rights or "promotes homosexuality"

Death penalty for what is described as "aggravated homosexuality", that is sexual abuse of a child, a person with disability or vulnerable people, or in cases where a victim of homosexual assault is infected with a life-long illness

Property owners also face risk of being jailed if their premises are used as a "brothel" for homosexual acts or any other sexual minorities rights' activities

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-65034343

I guess different countries can have their own laws, but this is going too far in my opinion.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is an area of Africa that was relatively accepting of homosexuality until Christian missionaries turned up. Now it is one of the most anti-LGBT countries around.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
This is an area of Africa that was relatively accepting of homosexuality until Christian missionaries turned up. Now it is one of the most anti-LGBT countries around.

Yeah, should see the comments of videos on this, can't believe how many people are supporting this...
Reply 3
They probably saw what's been going on in America and said hell no.
Reply 4
Original post by xox416
They probably saw what's been going on in America and said hell no.

What has "been going on in America" then? :hmmm:
Reply 5
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah, should see the comments of videos on this, can't believe how many people are supporting this...

Really?
All you have to do is look at the numbers of "conservative" posters on here - supposedly a student forum. It is rife with reactionary and right wing views.
Original post by WADR
Really?
All you have to do is look at the numbers of "conservative" posters on here - supposedly a student forum. It is rife with reactionary and right wing views.

I don't think that the people here would hold such views (that it's ok to ban homosexually to this extent).
Reply 7
Not a particularly pleasant bit of legislation but hardly either surprising nor out of the ordinary. People seem toi always forget that its only the West who have a thing for uplifting LGBT people. The rest of the world takes a dim view on the practice, an even dimmer one on some of the more esoteric offshoots we see from it these days.

As an aside, a sad but darkly amusing one, it is interesting to see certain groups trying to justify the diametrically opposing positions they hold on this. On the one hand screeching about respecting the 3rd world way of life, laws, virtues etc. etc. and then with this, immediately scrubbing that and trying to ram the western way of thinking on this down their throats. Whether that is right or wrong being beside the point though.
Reply 8
I don't think that the people here would hold such views (that it's ok to ban homosexually to this extent).

Suffice it to say, its probably better to ignore the ramblings of the aforementioned enraged err, lefties i think they like to call themselves?

Its certainly a weird, and frankly devious, world view to hold that anyone who doesn't agree with oneself is eo ipso a 'far right' gay basher. The less being said about correlating anyone whose a student with de jure being left wing and 'educated' the better. I rather doubt it takes one of Britain's illustrious centers of higher learning to point out the problem with it.
Original post by Napp
Suffice it to say, its probably better to ignore the ramblings of the aforementioned enraged err, lefties i think they like to call themselves?

Its certainly a weird, and frankly devious, world view to hold that anyone who doesn't agree with oneself is eo ipso a 'far right' gay basher. The less being said about correlating anyone whose a student with de jure being left wing and 'educated' the better. I rather doubt it takes one of Britain's illustrious centers of higher learning to point out the problem with it.

I mean i'm left-wing but compared to the comments i've seen on YT, I don't think that as many people here would be ok with this sort of thing being brought to the West/probably can admit that Uganda is going too far here but I could be wrong.
Reply 10
I mean i'm left-wing but compared to the comments i've seen on YT, I don't think that as many people here would be ok with this sort of thing being brought to the West/probably can admit that Uganda is going too far here but I could be wrong.

No, indeed, one was more talking about the above posters err unique flavour of it.

Bar trolls, one hasn't seen much to indicate any form of support for such a thing. That being said, that does raise 2 rather interesting questions in my opinion;

1) How many would change their public protestations if the ever present threat of being cyber lynched didn't hang over their heads? (not necesserily a bad thing it must be said but still)One imagines the number wouldn't be trivial to be honest but thats pure speculation.
2) How much peoples views change depending on exactly which bit of the LGB etc etc etc acronym are being used and in what context. I note people tend to view different segments of said community radically differently. One person might have no issue at all with people who are gay, lesbian but be somewhat less sympathetic to the wider 'gender diverse' aspect of the group.

Food for thought if nothing else. Although one would violently disagree with the users (unfortunately far from unique) assertion theres anything particularly 'conservative' about it. Just from experience, there are plenty of labour supporting homophobes out there as well as various other political persuasions.
Original post by Napp
No, indeed, one was more talking about the above posters err unique flavour of it.

Bar trolls, one hasn't seen much to indicate any form of support for such a thing. That being said, that does raise 2 rather interesting questions in my opinion;

1) How many would change their public protestations if the ever present threat of being cyber lynched didn't hang over their heads? (not necesserily a bad thing it must be said but still)One imagines the number wouldn't be trivial to be honest but thats pure speculation.
2) How much peoples views change depending on exactly which bit of the LGB etc etc etc acronym are being used and in what context. I note people tend to view different segments of said community radically differently. One person might have no issue at all with people who are gay, lesbian but be somewhat less sympathetic to the wider 'gender diverse' aspect of the group.

Food for thought if nothing else. Although one would violently disagree with the users (unfortunately far from unique) assertion theres anything particularly 'conservative' about it. Just from experience, there are plenty of labour supporting homophobes out there as well as various other political persuasions.

Somewhat true, still though terrible day for gay people in Uganda.
Reply 12
Original post by Napp
its only the West who have a thing for uplifting LGBT people.

That's a strange way to say "respecting basic human rights".

the more esoteric offshoots we see from it these days.

Again, an odd turn of phrase to describe trans people. What are you actually trying to say?

As an aside, a sad but darkly amusing one, it is interesting to see certain groups trying to justify the diametrically opposing positions they hold on this. On the one hand screeching about respecting the 3rd world way of life, laws, virtues etc. etc. and then with this, immediately scrubbing that and trying to ram the western way of thinking on this down their throats. Whether that is right or wrong being beside the point though.

You seem confused.
The homophobia seen in Nigeria is a "western import", through Christian and Islamic "values". The evidence suggests that pre-colonial Africa was tolerant of homosexuality. The ancient kingdom of Uganda had an openly gay king. http://www.arcados.ch/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MURRAY-ROSCOE-BOY-WIVES-FEMALE-HUSBANDS-98.pdf
And once again, using words like "screech" and "ram down throats" to describe those advocating tolerance and human rights gives the game away somewhat. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by Napp

Every thread on gay or trans issues brings out the usual suspects.
Just look at the way you describe things in your previous post #8. If you are fully behind tolerance and acceptance of gay and transgender people, and the campaigns to remove discrimination and intolerance, why do you use that kind of invective? This isn't the first time.

And trolls who post homophobic and racist comments likely mean it, so you can't discount them as homophobic racists.

"Conservative" with a small c doesn't mean "Tory". It means aligned with "traditional" views and uncomfortable with change. That certainly applies to voters across the spectrum. Not sure why you think all Labour voters are tolerant progressives.
Reply 14
Original post by WADR
That's a strange way to say "respecting basic human rights".

I'm not entirely sure if you're just not overly good at understanding a basic point or if you're just arging for the sake of it - given your prolific stalking of ones comments though the answer seems fairly clear.
In either case, something can hardly be described as a 'basic human right' if it is ignored by most of the world. The word you're trying to look for sounds more like privilege. It's not exactly a screaming surprise that you view the world through a quaint western prism but your 'idealism', shall we say, is nothing short of amusingly naive if you think its some sort of truth when most of the world violently, as in here, begs to differ with you.

As to 'homophobia being a western import'. Leaving aside that the Abrahamic religions are certainly anything but 'western' in their origin, one suggests you dig out your rather tatty history book and go through it again. Who knows, you might learn something other than 'its all the wests fault' :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by WADR
Are you high? Every thread on gay or trans issues brings out the usual suspects.
Just look at the way you describe things in your previous post #8. If you are fully behind tolerance and acceptance of gay and transgender people, and the campaigns to remove discrimination and intolerance, why do you use that kind of invective? This isn't the first time.

Whom said i was behind or against anything? It is one thing to believe in live and let live, it is quite another to subscribe to either this revolting bit of legislation or your mirror image of it.

I'm not convinced you know what 'invective' means, as opposed to a basic statement of fact. Are you hhonestly trying to say that the rights youre talking about are not almost exclusively held by the west and not the rest of the world?

And trolls who post homophobic and racist comments likely mean it, so you can't discount them as homophobic racists.

They probably do, whats your point though given it doesn't really have anything to do with what i said..?

"Conservative" with a small c doesn't mean "Tory". It means aligned with "traditional" views and uncomfortable with change. That certainly applies to voters across the spectrum. Not sure why you think all Labour voters are tolerant progressives.

Its called a generalization dear. Shockingly its much easier to do than individually describe each persons political bent. It's hardly a secret that "progressives" or "liberals" (if the American perversion of the term is anything to go by anyway) dont tend to subscribe to anything but hard left social politics. I'm not especially sure why you're trying to explain 'conservatism' as nothing but a reaction (not exactly a secret to know that this is untrue) but still.
Looks like much of Ugandan politics, the legal profession, mainstream religious groups and some tribalist activist movements within Uganda have become infested with religious fundamentalists that have an irrational fixation upon homosexuality.
With plenty of wannabe theocrats high on their own fear & hate for all who experience ssa and discuss the fact but have chosen not to become sexually active.

I'm reminded of the aggressive campaigns to instigate legal prohibitions upon activist 'pro-homosexual propaganda' and government attempts to outlaw 'the promotion of homosexuality' in Hungary, Poland and Russia. :sigh:

That said, a lot of secular adults all over the world do favour life imprisonment sentences for all the most sordid of adult criminals.
Particularly the perverts that have been convicted of either trafficking children for illegal purposes, who have committed multiple rapes or any assaults upon a vulnerable individual that has resulted in the spread of an infectious disease/sti.
What I see here is a lot of people in a Western country trying to impose their beliefs and values on an African country. Colonising, much?
i would be very curious to read this piece of proposed legislation because how the hell can the state criminalise an identity? an identity is just an idea unless it's recognised by a legal document, which i'm guessing there's no legal gay document in Uganda. so if the police asks you 'are you gay?' just say 'no' or 'no comment'. it's gross to have to do this but it's none of their ******* business.

lols and the west thought they had problems with free speech. christ almighty
Original post by Genesiss
i would be very curious to read this piece of proposed legislation because how the hell can the state criminalise an identity? an identity is just an idea unless it's recognised by a legal document, which i'm guessing there's no legal gay document in Uganda. so if the police asks you 'are you gay?' just say 'no' or 'no comment'. it's gross to have to do this but it's none of their ******* business.

lols and the west thought they had problems with free speech. christ almighty

Yeah, also wondering what happens to you if you're accused of being Gay (even though you're not) and what evidence the accuser/police need to be able to prosecute the victim/"criminal". i.e can a person just be like: "Benjamin participated in homosexual activity, I saw it! (without being able to provide photographic or physical evidence)" and Benjamin gets prosecuted. Hope that this isn't case, either way terrible bill regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending