The Student Room Group

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Ugandan President signs said bill into law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genesiss
i would be very curious to read this piece of proposed legislation because how the hell can the state criminalise an identity? an identity is just an idea unless it's recognised by a legal document, which i'm guessing there's no legal gay document in Uganda. so if the police asks you 'are you gay?' just say 'no' or 'no comment'. it's gross to have to do this but it's none of their ******* business.

lols and the west thought they had problems with free speech. christ almighty

I'm not reading it but yeah this is the 2014 act apparently: https://www.parliament.go.ug/documents/1263/acts-2014
Original post by WADR
Oh, give it a rest. One is not impressed. :rolleyes:

Ironically it is you who seems to be struggling with understanding basic concepts.
"Basic human rights" are universal. It is irrelevant whether a particular regime or whatever respects them. "A common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations." Perhaps you should check out the UDHR. Here's a link. https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

Oh, so you think not being persecuted for your race, religion or sexuality is "a privilege"?
Someone call the UN. They've made a terrible mistake - but worry not, professor Napp is here to correct them. :rolleyes:

More irony. I'm starting tithing you are doing this deliberately.
It was not Palestine or even the Holy Roman Empire that violently imposed a puritanical version of Christianity on Africa. It was the various European empires. The Islamic empires in North Africa were not quite so strict on that particular issue.
As you say, brush up on your history, dear boy. It might save you further such blunders.

When it comes to the horrors of colonialism in Africa over the last 400 years, it most definitely was mostly "the west's fault" - Although I understand that there are some who are uncomfortable accepting this "basic statement of fact" :wink:.

If it's ignored by majority of the world it's not a basic human right if it were a BASIC human right most of the world recognise it as so but they don't do they?
The UN defining our rights don't make me laugh, aren't they the same organisation who sat back during Americas war crimes in the Middle East? Through countless genocides not even they can uphold "basic" human rights.

Seems like you don't know history because Christianity reached Africa before it reached Europe, the Islamic empires were just as bad if not worse just look into their slave trade lmao. You literally just regurgitate what you hear online, prime example of the modern day consoomer.

Also as an African why do people keep going on about colonialism as if divide and conquer hasnt been around since the first human civilisation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Trinculo
What I see here is a lot of people in a Western country trying to impose their beliefs and values on an African country. Colonising, much?

The irony seems lost on a lot of people it seems :lol:
You dont have to support this bit of lesiglation to appreciate the furious back peddling of certain quarters from 'African rights are paramount, respect their culture' to 'its evil, make them think like the west'
Reply 23
i would be very curious to read this piece of proposed legislation because how the hell can the state criminalise an identity? an identity is just an idea unless it's recognised by a legal document, which i'm guessing there's no legal gay document in Uganda. so if the police asks you 'are you gay?' just say 'no' or 'no comment'. it's gross to have to do this but it's none of their ******* business.

As a matter of interest, can you expand on the need for a formal document to outline an 'identity'?
Original post by Napp
The irony seems lost on a lot of people it seems :lol:
You dont have to support this bit of lesiglation to appreciate the furious back peddling of certain quarters from 'African rights are paramount, respect their culture' to 'its evil, make them think like the west'

I don't support the bill but I agree that the West (UK and USA especially) is hypocritical as heck in my opinion.
Reply 25
Original post by Talkative Toad
I don't support the bill but I agree that the West (UK and USA especially) is hypocritical as heck in my opinion.

Oh beyond a shadow of a doubt. Be it this (Neither Britain or the US are particularly gay friendly by any stretch) and given the er... unfortunate recent history it seems really quite impressive.
A shame really, the whopping majority of people just want to live their lives in peace and tell the government to pound sand. It being a thoroughly western m.o with violent riots demanding more rights. One wonders, if that has much of an effect though. Youre a homophobic dictator sititng watching western tv and see these 'trans days of vengeance' and so on so forth, does that effect their thinking? Its one thing to find a lifestyle distasteful, even when relatively hidden like there, its quite another to level a broadside at even the merest hint of it.
Probably nothing to do with it but it does make you wonder if they fear the 'ghost of Christmas future' they see in the west.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
This is an area of Africa that was relatively accepting of homosexuality until Christian missionaries turned up. Now it is one of the most anti-LGBT countries around.

I don't know of any area of Africa that was directly, relatively, loosely or whatever any other qualification accepting of homosexuality before the West/Colonial/Christian missionaries turned up.

By and large, homosexuality has not been accepted in African history, hence why one does not see it, or have a record of it, in almost all the tribes life or ways. This should suggest homosexuals in African societies have always known they have to remain in the closet. Many of the tribes don't even have a word for describing homosexuals. That should tell anyone how the practice was not in the cultures.

The claim that it was colonial authorities that instilled or started anti-homosexual leanings in Africa is one of the biggest lies/disinformation one sees in the world.
Original post by Napp
Oh beyond a shadow of a doubt. Be it this (Neither Britain or the US are particularly gay friendly by any stretch) and given the er... unfortunate recent history it seems really quite impressive.
A shame really, the whopping majority of people just want to live their lives in peace and tell the government to pound sand. It being a thoroughly western m.o with violent riots demanding more rights. One wonders, if that has much of an effect though. Youre a homophobic dictator sititng watching western tv and see these 'trans days of vengeance' and so on so forth, does that effect their thinking? Its one thing to find a lifestyle distasteful, even when relatively hidden like there, its quite another to level a broadside at even the merest hint of it.
Probably nothing to do with it but it does make you wonder if they fear the 'ghost of Christmas future' they see in the west.

I personally think that this bill is going too far and shouldn't have been passed (people should be able to love and marry whatever human gender they want in any country).

But i'm getting bored of this western “i'm better than you attitude” (i.e. the west seem to be mostly/always right on every issue and other parts of the world well… aren't rhetoric). I am grateful to be living in the west and being a westerner but still.

Yeah, I don't think Western or UN criticism will change his mind.
Reply 28
I personally think that this bill is going too far and shouldn't have been passed (people should be able to love and marry whatever human gender they want in any country).

But i'm getting bored of this western “i'm better than you attitude” (i.e. the west seem to be mostly/always right on every issue and other parts of the world well… aren't rhetoric). I am grateful to be living in the west and being a westerner but still.

Yeah, I don't think Western or UN criticism will change his mind.

Oh definitely, its a particularly egregious bit of gay bashing,

Mm it is rather strange, as perfectly exemplified by certain users here. Rather pererse in someways as what made western civilization supreme were the properties of the enlightenment, something that is being disguarded wholesale at the alter of identity politics (both ways n equal measure its worth noting). Sad times in deed where you have governments going after the lowest common demoniator, like here, and the ones going on about the injustice of it doing similarly restrictive measures. Jailing people for expression // jailing people for whom they want to have sex with. Revolting, if somewhat interesting when seeing people trying to justify them.

Ha, if anything its likely to do the opposite. Being able to thumb your nose at the powers that be seems to be a bragging point these days.
Original post by Napp
Oh definitely, its a particularly egregious bit of gay bashing,

Mm it is rather strange, as perfectly exemplified by certain users here. Rather pererse in someways as what made western civilization supreme were the properties of the enlightenment, something that is being disguarded wholesale at the alter of identity politics (both ways n equal measure its worth noting). Sad times in deed where you have governments going after the lowest common demoniator, like here, and the ones going on about the injustice of it doing similarly restrictive measures. Jailing people for expression // jailing people for whom they want to have sex with. Revolting, if somewhat interesting when seeing people trying to justify them.

Ha, if anything its likely to do the opposite. Being able to thumb your nose at the powers that be seems to be a bragging point these days.

A part of me hopes that this bill gets scrapped but i doubt that'll happen.
Reply 30
A part of me hopes that this bill gets scrapped but i doubt that'll happen.

Hope springs ever eternal.
Lmao that is wild, like it’s not even gay acts it’s saying you’re gay, straight no to free speech.
Original post by Little pecker
Lmao that is wild, like it’s not even gay acts it’s saying you’re gay, straight no to free speech.

Facts. If someone (especially your elders) says that you're gay, even if you're not, i'm wondering what happens to you.
Original post by Napp
Hope springs ever eternal.

true.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
This is an area of Africa that was relatively accepting of homosexuality until Christian missionaries turned up. Now it is one of the most anti-LGBT countries around.

I was there a few years ago, and one mad woman was screaming to everyone that I was gay, because I spoke with an English accent and I was wearing a bright magenta top (I don't think I'll be doing that again in a hurry).

I think homosexuality was illegal there before this bill came in... the only difference is they're encouraging other people to report it (snitching)

Even if they caught you, it probably wouldn't matter if you have money... the police out there are corrupt as f**k; to the extent you can bribe your way out of almost anything.

Out there, money doesn't talk, it shouts with a megaphone.
(edited 1 year ago)
Nothing gets the anti-colonial moral relativists shouting from the rooftops quite like a backwards country persecuting gay people.
Reply 36
Original post by Wonder Potato
Nothing gets the anti-colonial moral relativists shouting from the rooftops quite like a backwards country persecuting gay people.

Its just mildly nteresting that instead of being the politicians fault for proposing and voting this through, no, its actually the fault of a long dead empire, the Abrahamic faiths and whitey - a smorgasboard of odd entities to blame, for an otherwise exceptionally simple one.
Unless of course theyre honestly contending that people in Africa are really quite so simple and predictable as to be solely guided by the word of their former colonial masters from eons ago. Not as if countires and their peoples have their own minds that guide them - no matter how distasteful the conclusion of that.
Yeah, also wondering what happens to you if you're accused of being Gay (even though you're not) and what evidence the accuser/police need to be able to prosecute the victim/"criminal". i.e can a person just be like: "Benjamin participated in homosexual activity, I saw it! (without being able to provide photographic or physical evidence)" and Benjamin gets prosecuted. Hope that this isn't case, either way terrible bill regardless.

the thing is even if you have sex with someone of the same sex, that doesn't mean you identify as gay or are indeed gay. people have sex for various reasons independent of their sexuality. gays have been shamed into straight marriages since the dawn of time; that isn't proof they are straight.
Original post by Napp
As a matter of interest, can you expand on the need for a formal document to outline an 'identity'?

legally speaking identity doesn't exist unless the state recognises it and records it.
my dudes, i am gay. officially i am gay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending