The Student Room Group

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Ugandan President signs said bill into law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Genesiss
legally speaking identity doesn't exist unless the state recognises it and records it.

I'm probably missing an essential bit of background knowledge to get the jist of this im afraid as i'm currently not quite getting you.
Why would an identity (although what definition are you using for this?) not exist without a legal ratification of it? Or is this along the lines of someone identifying as a dolphin being a crackpot, and obviously not recognized, vs. identifying as a transsexual which is recognized ergo is fine?
Original post by Napp
I'm probably missing an essential bit of background knowledge to get the jist of this im afraid as i'm currently not quite getting you.
Why would an identity (although what definition are you using for this?) not exist without a legal ratification of it? Or is this along the lines of someone identifying as a dolphin being a crackpot, and obviously not recognized, vs. identifying as a transsexual which is recognized ergo is fine?

i don't follow you either i'm afraid.

let me rephrase. if one doesn't have a legal document that identifies them as 'gay' then how is their identity 'gay'?
Reply 42
i don't follow you either i'm afraid.

let me rephrase. if one doesn't have a legal document that identifies them as 'gay' then how is their identity 'gay'?

Isnt gay a sexuality not an identity?
I wasn't aware you could get any legal document, anywhere, specifically proclaiming ones sexuality?

Before we start circling too much though, can you reiterate your point in layman's terms for me? I'm just not following the connection between there needing to be a legal affirmation for an identity to exist as opposed to it simply being.
Original post by Napp
Isnt gay a sexuality not an identity?
I wasn't aware you could get any legal document, anywhere, specifically proclaiming ones sexuality?

Before we start circling too much though, can you reiterate your point in layman's terms for me? I'm just not following the connection between there needing to be a legal affirmation for an identity to exist as opposed to it simply being.

exactly - that's what i'm saying. gay is a sexuality and not an identity - but Uganda is trying to criminalise 'identifying' as gay or at least what the BBC is reporting. what does it mean to identify as gay without a legal document? if the police asks, just say no. it's not my identity.
Reply 44
Original post by Talkative Toad
People who identify as gay in Uganda risk life in prison after parliament passed a new bill to crack down on homosexual activities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-65034343

I guess different countries can have their own laws, but this is going too far in my opinion.

I agree
the thing is even if you have sex with someone of the same sex, that doesn't mean you identify as gay or are indeed gay. people have sex for various reasons independent of their sexuality. gays have been shamed into straight marriages since the dawn of time; that isn't proof they are straight.

You have a valid point. I shared the 2014 Anti-homosexual act in case you were interested can't find this bill yet.
It's all gone to pot since Amin expelled the Jaina
Original post by mnot
The people of Uganda live with a totally different belief system and values. Unless you support global interference in another country there is not a lot to say or do. Frankly a lot of what other countries do is even worse then this.

if the UK wants to make a stand all we can really do is prevent UK businesses trading with them. This would bring all sorts of international diplomacy things into question - for example if we do this to Uganda are we going to stand up to countries with far more egregious human rights issues (well not if they have vital resources we need) or be hypocrites.

All we can really do is say we support liberty & equality but acknowledge different countries have differences in culture & values. Ultimately it is for the people of Uganda to decide how they wish to react.

Id also note whilst today such laws seem morally untenable here, it took us till 2013 w/David Cameron to legalise gay marriage (and at the time many British communities took issue with this on religious grounds). And only a few decades ago it was illegal in the UK to be gay in a physical sense (this issue is often forgotten about by our generation).

True, I'm still against the bill though and believe that it goes but yeah different countries have different beliefs.
Nasty nasty bill. Sickening in fact. That in 2023 we can still see countries that launch you head first into a jail cell for life just because you say as a guy that you fancy willy or as a girl that you flirt with puss. Ridiculous.
This makes me sick....
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Nasty nasty bill. Sickening in fact. That in 2023 we can still see countries that launch you head first into a jail cell for life just because you say as a guy that you fancy willy or as a girl that you flirt with puss. Ridiculous.

Original post by noelissocute
This makes me sick....

At least we're not in Uganda but I agree.
At least we're not in Uganda but I agree.

Yeah. I wonder if it applies to all sexualities or just gay/lesbian?

Can't see the rationale for applying it to Homosexually and not Demisexuality for example (idek what being Demisexual means because I'm not going to bother to keep up with all of the terms) but I have no idea, I'm not. I'm not Ugandan so yeah.

This bill probably also applies to people who are bi/pan sexual people too if they engage or promote LGBTQ+ stuff or do "gay acts" but I can't confirm that.

Still a bad bill regardless that goes too far @Sorcerer of Old (thank you for speaking facts in some threads) sums it up in my opinion.
(edited 1 year ago)
Can't see the rationale for applying it to Homosexually and not Demisexuality for example (idek what being Demisexual means because I'm not going to bother to keep up with all of the terms) but I have no idea, I'm not. I'm not Ugandan so yeah.

This bill probably also applies to people who are bi/pan sexual people too if they engage or promote LGBTQ+ stuff or do "gay acts" but I can't confirm that.

Still a bad bill regardless that goes too far @Sorcerer of Old (thank you for speaking facts in some threads) sums it up in my opinion.

As a bisexual, this makes me slightly madder. Thank god for the USA
As a bisexual, this makes me slightly madder. Thank god for the USA

But I'm not trying to speak facts here, I'm simply sharing a news story/article in which I thought was significant enough to make a thread about (cause I've not been wanting to make threads lately but found this to be big enough news) so don't take my word for it.
But I'm not trying to speak facts here, I'm simply sharing a news story/article in which I thought was significant enough to make a thread about (cause I've not been wanting to make threads lately but found this to be big enough news) so don't take my word for it.

No no you're fine!
You have a valid point. I shared the 2014 Anti-homosexual act in case you were interested can't find this bill yet.

no i can't find the bill either. my googling skills are sucking.

would be nice to know tho what the bill actually proposes and if it aligns with what is being reported cuz i can't envision how this would work in practice.

right? what if i'm sexually fluid?
right? what if i'm sexually fluid?

Exactly! I'm Bisexual and I wonder if it would apply to me
no i can't find the bill either. my googling skills are sucking.

would be nice to know tho what the bill actually proposes and if it aligns with what is being reported cuz i can't envision how this would work in practice.

What are your thoughts on the 2014 one then?

I think that this 2023 bill hasn't been fully drafted yet hence why it's not the Ugandan gov website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending