The Student Room Group

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Ugandan President signs said bill into law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
Do you consider Uganda's laws against homosexuality to be wrong? Do you think they should be changed?

Yes, for several reasons. In general (but with some exceptions): I don’t think it’s the state’s business what consenting adults are doing in their own homes; I am a strong believer in free speech and expression; I don’t believe in the death penalty.

Having said that, I hesitate to have strong opinions on what the laws should or shouldn’t be in other countries where I’m less familiar with their social, cultural and political context.
Original post by tazarooni89
Yes, for several reasons. In general (but with some exceptions): I don’t think it’s the state’s business what consenting adults are doing in their own homes; I am a strong believer in free speech and expression; I don’t believe in the death penalty.

Having said that, I hesitate to have strong opinions on what the laws should or shouldn’t be in other countries where I’m less familiar with their social, cultural and political context.

Thanks!
“Homosexuality per se is simply being attracted to members of the same sex, which is not a crime.

Yes, other things you have mentioned are crimes: openly promoting homosexuality, spreading LGBTQ literature, and partaking in homosexual acts. But this is not “homosexuality per se”. These are things that a homosexual person may or may not do.

If you state that your homosexual in Uganda or someone finds out that you're homosexual then you can face prison time for the act which is the dictionary definition of criminalising it.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about this as @Jingo7 says.

Fair points here.
Original post by Talkative Toad
If you state that your homosexual in Uganda or someone finds out that you're homosexual then you can face prison time for the act which is the dictionary definition of criminalising it.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about this as @Jingo7 says.

Perhaps, but as a point of technicality you’re not going to prison for “being attracted to members of the same sex”.

You might go to prison for publicising homosexuality or committing a homosexual act etc. but that’s not precisely the same thing as just “being homosexual”.
Perhaps, but as a point of technicality you’re not going to prison for “being attracted to members of the same sex”.

You might go to prison for publicising homosexuality or committing a homosexual act etc. but that’s not precisely the same thing as just “being homosexual”.

Yeah but you can't be openly homosexual without fear of negative consequences (as in been seen doing anything homosexual) like you can here in the West.
Yeah but you can't be openly homosexual without fear of negative consequences (as in been seen doing anything homosexual) like you can here in the West.

Yes, I agree that you’re correct about this. I’m just saying that’s not identical to homosexuality being criminalised per se (that is, in and of itself).
Yes, I agree that you’re correct about this. I’m just saying that’s not identical to homosexuality being criminalised per se (that is, in and of itself).

What do you don't believe that simply being homosexual is criminalised in Uganda?

Why make the distinction when by "homosexuality is illegal" most people mean "homosexual acts between two people are illegal"?
What do you don't believe that simply being homosexual is criminalised in Uganda?

Sorry, I didn’t understand the question?
Why make the distinction when by "homosexuality is illegal" most people mean "homosexual acts between two people are illegal"?

I previously said that homosexuality per se isn’t criminalised. Another poster said that my statement was false, so I needed to clarify what I meant by “per se”.
Sorry, I didn’t understand the question?

I'm asking do you believe that having a homosexual orientation (without showing it or stating that you have it) is not being criminalised in Uganda?
I'm asking do you believe that having a homosexual orientation (without showing it or stating that you have it) is not being criminalised in Uganda?

From what I have read of the bill I don’t see how it is.

I’m not sure it’s even possible to criminalise internal thoughts and feelings.
I previously said that homosexuality per se isn’t criminalised. Another poster said that my statement was false, so I needed to clarify what I meant by “per se”.

Yeah but why even make that point when by "homosexuality" most people here mean "homosexual acts between two people"?
Key word is openly. tazarooni has spent several posts trying to make the semantic point that closeted homosexuals have not been criminalised as there is no practical way to be found guilty of being homosexual if you've not undertaken any homosexual acts or advertised yourself as homosexual.
From what I have read of the bill I don’t see how it is.

I’m not sure it’s even possible to criminalise internal thoughts and feelings.

Original post by 04MR17
Key word is openly. tazarooni has spent several posts trying to make the semantic point that closeted homosexuals have not been criminalised as there is no practical way to be found guilty of being homosexual if you've not undertaken any homosexual acts or advertised yourself as homosexual.

Got it thanks 👍🏾
Yeah but why even make that point when by "homosexuality" most people here mean "homosexual acts between two people"?

Because I’m not most people. I try to use language as accurately as possible in a debate. If I meant homosexual acts then I would specify that. I meant homosexuality as a sexuality in itself, so I specified it.

Not sure I see what the issue is?
(edited 1 year ago)
Because I’m not most people. I try to use language as accurately as possible in a debate. If I meant homosexual acts then I would specify that.

Not sure I see what the issue is.

Why, though? It's needless semantics.
Why, though? It's needless semantics.

Well it’s clearly not needless, given that even when I did specify “per se” people still misunderstood and thought I was talking about homosexual acts and claiming that they’re not criminalised?

If anything I should have been even clearer, semantically.

Edit: Perhaps you’re under the impression that someone said “homosexuality is criminalised” and I decided to be a smart-ass and go “Ah, no it’s not! Technically homosexuality is legal!”

I’d re-read the earlier thread as that’s not how the conversation went.
(edited 1 year ago)
Well it’s clearly not needless, given that even when I did specify “per se” people still misunderstood and thought I was talking about homosexual acts and claiming that they’re not criminalised?

If anything I should have been even clearer, semantically.

No, I mean it's needless semantics to make that distinction to begin with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending