The Student Room Group

Should I go to St Dominic's Sixth Form College as someone who is doing English?

I have conditional offers from St Doms UCL Academy & Ark Academy (the school I go to) and am waitlisted for Woodhouse

I heard that St Doms is useful for medicine and economics subjects and not very for more artsy subjects like English, French, Psychology & Politics.
Any Advice???
I personally go Woodhouse, and do a mixture of science and humanities subjects. I have a lot of friends who go St. Dominics but I honestly can't stress how good the English department is at Woodhouse. If you can, I would recommend you wait and see if you get in from the waitlist or reapply on results day. Other than that, I have heard psychology is good at St. Doms but the English Literature department not so much sadly!! Don't let one person's experience stop you though. Look at the books they study, at St Doms they do Twelfth Night, A Doll's House, Kite Runner, Toni Harrison poetry and another book I have forgotten. At Woodhouse, we do Dracula, The Bloody Chamber, The Tempest, Merchant's Tale, Jerusalem and The Duchess of Malfi. If you have any questions about St Doms or Woodhouse, I would be more than happy to answer :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Bored_person
I personally go Woodhouse, and do a mixture of science and humanities subjects. I have a lot of friends who go St. Dominics but I honestly can't stress how good the English department is at Woodhouse. If you can, I would recommend you wait and see if you get in from the waitlist or reapply on results day. Other than that, I have heard psychology is good at St. Doms but the English Literature department not so much sadly!! Don't let one person's experience stop you though. Look at the books they study, at St Doms they do Twelfth Night, A Doll's House, Kite Runner, Toni Harrison poetry and another book I have forgotten. At Woodhouse, we do Dracula, The Bloody Chamber, The Tempest, Merchant's Tale, Jerusalem and The Duchess of Malfi. If you have any questions about St Doms or Woodhouse, I would be more than happy to answer :smile:

Thanks, personally I was more inclined to go for woodhouse but got a little down after being waitlisted as a friend with lower grades got in also more inclined for Woodhouse due to the English Lit and English Language options along with Politics and French.I never got round to going to open evenings apart from Ark and UCL so if you have any resources perhaps induction work that you did for any of these subjects I would love to see them.
Original post by Hawraa.A
Thanks, personally I was more inclined to go for woodhouse but got a little down after being waitlisted as a friend with lower grades got in also more inclined for Woodhouse due to the English Lit and English Language options along with Politics and French.I never got round to going to open evenings apart from Ark and UCL so if you have any resources perhaps induction work that you did for any of these subjects I would love to see them.

Yeah I understand what you mean, a lot of my friends applied on results day and got in so don't lose hope! The English literature induction work was to write a book review on a Gothic novel as you start studying the Gothic genre (Dracula and The Bloody Chamber) right after, so it is not too long which is good. The department itself is very supportive and organised (last year, 67% of English Lit students got an A or A*!) and I can show you some work (a typical lesson) etc if that is what you would prefer seeing :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Bored_person
Yeah I understand what you mean, a lot of my friends applied on results day and got in so don't lose hope! The English literature induction work was to write a book review on a Gothic novel as you start studying the Gothic genre (Dracula and The Bloody Chamber) right after, so it is not too long which is good. The department itself is very supportive and organised (last year, 67% of English Lit students got an A or A*!) and I can show you some work (a typical lesson) etc if that is what you would prefer seeing :biggrin:

Yes Please! this is super helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending