The Student Room Group

Help chemistry

Is temperature decrease is endothermic (e.g thermal decomposition) and temperature increase is exothermic (e.g combustion)
Then why is the phrase
Tupend and trex
(Temp up endo and temp reduced exo) used in equilibrium
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Is temperature decrease is endothermic (e.g thermal decomposition) and temperature increase is exothermic (e.g combustion)
Then why is the phrase
Tupend and trex

Not heard that phrase before, I presume it has something to do with Le Chatelier's Principle if a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change.
Therefore if you put the temperature up, the position of the equilibrium will move to decrease the temperature, i.e. in the endothermic direction. And vice versa for the exothermic direction.
Then why is the phrase
Tupend and trex

I suppose that Le Chetalier's principle is the answer: if the conditions for a dynamic equilibrium is changed by decreasing or increasing the temperature, the kind of reaction is changed too.

If temperature is increased, the side of endothermic reaction is disturbed and the equilibrium tries to balance it by reducing the temperature. It is the other way round, if there is a disturbance of exothermic side by decreasing temperature. In this case the equilibrium tries to balance it by raising the temperature.
(edited 1 year ago)
you are right about endo = temp decrease and exo = temp increase.

the help I can give u is this:

EXOTHERMIC- where heat is transferred from the surroundings to the system.

ENDOTHERMIC- where heat is transferred from the system to the surroundings.
Then why is the phrase
Tupend and trex

Quick Reply

Latest