The Student Room Group

Wanting to do a Fine Art Masters - Part Time VS Full Time?

I graduated from my undergraduate back in 2019 and have since moved from where my family/parents live to Leeds to live with my partner who works full time. I also currently work full time but have been debating since lockdown returning to study to get a degree in Fine Art as it's something I'm really passionate about. However, I'm very conflicted about whether to go full time or part time - mainly because of cost of living/funding such a life decision.

I know deep down part time is probably the best choice for my current living situation. Me and my partner cover all our bills and rent together and I really don't like going to my parents for financial help unless it's a desperate situation. I know if I go part time it will mean I can take on work at the same time and continue to fund our life without feeling like I'm pressuring my partner to make financial sacrifices. Part time would also be beneficial for my own wellbeing as I am diagnosed with ASD and need time around particular events (including jobs that deal with a lot of small talk/masking) to decompress.

The only thing standing in my way from deciding happily on a part time course is that I went to The University of Huddersfield and felt the course staff were really approachable and the way the course was set out felt very up my street. I've heard great things about their facilities and as I'm looking to do Fine Art - the facilities were going to be a big deciding factor for me. However, this university only does a full time MA. 💔

My other options were going to be Leeds Beckett or Leeds Art for the same kind of courses.

I think I'm answering my own question by writing this all out, but I just wanted to see if there was anyone who could tell me if there's any way of making a full time Masters work and funding rent/bills etc. or is it a pathway that would require a lot of sacrifice?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by plumbobqri96
I graduated from my undergraduate back in 2019 and have since moved from where my family/parents live to Leeds to live with my partner who works full time. I also currently work full time but have been debating since lockdown returning to study to get a degree in Fine Art as it's something I'm really passionate about. However, I'm very conflicted about whether to go full time or part time - mainly because of cost of living/funding such a life decision.

I know deep down part time is probably the best choice for my current living situation. Me and my partner cover all our bills and rent together and I really don't like going to my parents for financial help unless it's a desperate situation. I know if I go part time it will mean I can take on work at the same time and continue to fund our life without feeling like I'm pressuring my partner to make financial sacrifices. Part time would also be beneficial for my own wellbeing as I am diagnosed with ASD and need time around particular events (including jobs that deal with a lot of small talk/masking) to decompress.

The only thing standing in my way from deciding happily on a part time course is that I went to The University of Huddersfield and felt the course staff were really approachable and the way the course was set out felt very up my street. I've heard great things about their facilities and as I'm looking to do Fine Art - the facilities were going to be a big deciding factor for me. However, this university only does a full time MA. 💔

My other options were going to be Leeds Beckett or Leeds Art for the same kind of courses.

I think I'm answering my own question by writing this all out, but I just wanted to see if there was anyone who could tell me if there's any way of making a full time Masters work and funding rent/bills etc. or is it a pathway that would require a lot of sacrifice?

Hi @plumbobqri96

Thank you for considering us and we're sorry that we don't offer the course part-time :frown:

There are quite a few options when it comes to paying for a Masters and it is by no means an easy financial decision. In 2023/24 the full-time tuition fee for UK postgraduate students on that course will be £7,900 (Band 2). All PG students are eligible for a PG Loan of £11,836 meaning there is a difference of between £3,936 available to potentially go towards living costs during the year that the course takes. We know this doesn't come close to living costs for a year especially in the current climate, however it can go towards some things.

In addition to a full time course we recommend our students can also take on no more than 15 hours of work alongside their course, do you think your employer would allow you to work two days a week instead?

Further, it was very brave of you to disclose your ASD, with that in mind, you could be eligible for support from The Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). The DSA provides financial support to cover study-related costs that occur because of a mental health problem, long term illness or other disability.

You can apply for DSA support on top of any additional student finance you are receiving. This finance does not have need to be repaid. Info on further options in place for you, please check out our webpages: https://www.hud.ac.uk/postgraduate/funding-studies/

We hope you still consider us and wish you the best of luck with your decision and whatever next steps you take :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer, University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending