The Student Room Group

University

Hello, I already took a gap year and I am meant to be starting chemistry this September at university. I enjoyed it at a level but I am just not sure if I want to take it further - it’s a tricky degree to just do. I think I would prefer an arts and sciences degree which allows a mix of programs. However I don’t want to take another gap year because then I will be 20 in my first year of uni. Uhg. I also am worried because I have a place at UCL, which is a good uni, so I don’t want to loose my place this year by not going and then what if I don’t get into the arts and sciences degree next year. This is really stressing me out!
Well, you can at the very least try to change your degree at UCL to the bachelor of arts and sciences that they offer! I'm not sure if you'll be able to at this stage but worth a try! Get in touch with your uni ASAP though, the more you delay the more unlikely it becomes (bear in mind it may not be possible already though). If not... think through what you can do with an arts and science degree that you can't do with a chemistry degree and think if it's nothing that can't be fixed by doing art in your spare time? If you want to do art, it's important to always take the art with you no matter what you do :smile:

If you'd still much rather do an arts and sciences degree and can't transfer within UCL, check clearing and if there's nothing there... well, it's your decision if you want to withdraw from UCL Chemistry to pursue another gap year and the arts and sciences or if you want to stick with Chemistry. If I'm honest with you, I think there's a chance that you just might be feeling a bit nervous about starting university, so think long and hard if this is the case. And if it's not a case of the nerves... your heart will probably be best satisfied by taking another gap year and applying for arts and sciences but your brain will probably be banging itself against a table...

What's your motivation for an arts and science program, other than its mix and match nature?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Well, you can at the very least try to change your degree at UCL to the bachelor of arts and sciences that they offer! I'm not sure if you'll be able to at this stage but worth a try! Get in touch with your uni ASAP though, the more you delay the more unlikely it becomes (bear in mind it may not be possible already though). If not... think through what you can do with an arts and science degree that you can't do with a chemistry degree and think if it's nothing that can't be fixed by doing art in your spare time? If you want to do art, it's important to always take the art with you no matter what you do :smile:

If you'd still much rather do an arts and sciences degree and can't transfer within UCL, check clearing and if there's nothing there... well, it's your decision if you want to withdraw from UCL Chemistry to pursue another gap year and the arts and sciences or if you want to stick with Chemistry. If I'm honest with you, I think there's a chance that you just might be feeling a bit nervous about starting university, so think long and hard if this is the case. And if it's not a case of the nerves... your heart will probably be best satisfied by taking another gap year and applying for arts and sciences but your brain will probably be banging itself against a table...

What's your motivation for an arts and science program, other than its mix and match nature?

I have already asked and the programme is full :frown:
The "art" part of the degree is no physical art it is more the Art of humanities - so I would learn about Societies.
I am feeling nervous, you are right but I think I am feeling nervous because Chemistry is not the right course. I don't really have a plan what to do after a Chemistry degree, I am not a fan of labs. In the chemistry degree you can do optional modules so I would do Biochemistry and maybe go onto do nutrition, but in that case I am not needing the Chemistry degree, as the only useful things will be what I pick as optional modules. I only really applied for it because I enjoyed it at A-level as I was good at it and I liked the quantitative aspect.
The motivation behind the Arts and Sciences, is that you are able to study a language, which I would love to do, and you are also able to go on a year abroad without doing a masters. I would love to go to Spain and do a year abroad. The Arts and Sciences basc would also let me do the Biochemistry modules and go on to do a Nutrition masters if by the end of my degree I still want to. I just think I would enjoy the Arts and Sciences course more, and I could still be in the same place after the degree because I don't want to go into a job that you specifically need chemistry for. Uhg, but I really don't want to take another gap year! :frown:
Original post by Possumm8
I have already asked and the programme is full :frown:
The "art" part of the degree is no physical art it is more the Art of humanities - so I would learn about Societies.
I am feeling nervous, you are right but I think I am feeling nervous because Chemistry is not the right course. I don't really have a plan what to do after a Chemistry degree, I am not a fan of labs. In the chemistry degree you can do optional modules so I would do Biochemistry and maybe go onto do nutrition, but in that case I am not needing the Chemistry degree, as the only useful things will be what I pick as optional modules. I only really applied for it because I enjoyed it at A-level as I was good at it and I liked the quantitative aspect.
The motivation behind the Arts and Sciences, is that you are able to study a language, which I would love to do, and you are also able to go on a year abroad without doing a masters. I would love to go to Spain and do a year abroad. The Arts and Sciences basc would also let me do the Biochemistry modules and go on to do a Nutrition masters if by the end of my degree I still want to. I just think I would enjoy the Arts and Sciences course more, and I could still be in the same place after the degree because I don't want to go into a job that you specifically need chemistry for. Uhg, but I really don't want to take another gap year! :frown:

I'm sorry that you can't transfer within UCL :frown: You can do many things with a chemistry degree though, it wouldn't stop you from pursuing a nutrition masters (in fact, I think the other things you'd learn with Chemistry not specifically related to nutrition might come in handy anyway!). But it seems like you'd be much happier with the arts and sciences degree, in which case I see two options for you, to avoid a gap year:

1. Check if there's any programme that you like on clearing.
2. Start your Chemistry degree while at the same time applying for arts and sciences on UCAS, to start on year 1. This would mean more uni, more student debt, but avoids taking a gap year and gives you something to do!

Quick Reply

Latest