The Student Room Group

pharmacy/medicine

i’ve got an offer from newcastle to study pharmacy, i was planning on applying to medicine in october but my grades weren’t good enough.

i want to do pharmacy because i’ve already got the offer and i don’t want to risk taking a gap year and not getting a place later. But i rlly want to do med and become a doctor.

is it hard/expensive to do med skl after my pharmacy degree?
could i work as a pharmacist and do a med degree post grad part time?

or is there any way i can get onto a med course from my pharmacy course that is not guaranteed obvs but not as risky as doing biomed then transferring?
U can always do graduate entry into med
Original post by rafifin605
i’ve got an offer from newcastle to study pharmacy, i was planning on applying to medicine in october but my grades weren’t good enough.

i want to do pharmacy because i’ve already got the offer and i don’t want to risk taking a gap year and not getting a place later. But i rlly want to do med and become a doctor.

is it hard/expensive to do med skl after my pharmacy degree?
could i work as a pharmacist and do a med degree post grad part time?

or is there any way i can get onto a med course from my pharmacy course that is not guaranteed obvs but not as risky as doing biomed then transferring?

(Reply also to JJ).

As knowledgable others have pointed out before in several threads Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is highly competitive and the probability of you gaining entry is correspondingly very low. The advice given was never to take a degree course with the primary intention of applying to GEM after graduation.

If you really want to study Medicine then take a year out and work on your grades. An extra year is not a lot when you have the decades of your working life ahead of you. A long time to regret if you don’t at least try.

The pharmacy option will still be there if you don’t make the grades. Good luck.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending