The Student Room Group

Should I change my GCSE options?

Hi, I am thinking of changing my GCSE options, and I am not sure what to pick.
I've already picked them, and next term I will find out if I get my options, but because I am in the highest class (9A1) for most of my subjects ,including French, then I was made to take French, and it is hard to get out of it, so at the time I just stuck with it. But now, I am considering changing French for something else.

These are my options (the non-compulsory ones):
Art
French (was pretty much compulsory as I am in the grammar streak )
Triple science

I am thinking of swapping French out for something like sociology, or anything really, as although I never get below grade 9s I don't really enjoy french, and it is pretty much just a spare lesson to do nothing. I know that learning a language is important, but I could always learn from someone else as my Dad is from a french speaking country, so I could always learn from him or one of my relatives. Also I have gone to extra-curricular french classes outside of school.
I'm thinking about doing drama, but i only really like performing drama as I don't really get along with some of my classmates, so I probably won't take it instead.
I just really don't like french that much, and it isn't challenging.
I'm just not sure what else I could pick, and also my parents definitely won't want me to change my options.
I'm just not really sure if I should change french t o something else or not.

BTW: For my career I want to do something like envrionmental legislation, or something along the ecology/biology route
Edit: I forgot to mention that I have already chosen art,french and triple science as my options, but i was wondering if I should swap french for something else.
(edited 1 year ago)
french is a good option as its easy 9s for you plus universities like seeing languages. New subjects may prove challenging for you and may not fully guarantee those 9s, but definitely interest is an important aspect. Languages are better learnt through speaking rather than learning it at school so you should explain that to your parents. As for what subject to choose, you may want to look at uni requirements or talk with students who are already taking those subjects and ask them for their experience. Sociology is good for learning about society and a fun subject overall whilst art does require a certain level of skill. Again, id reccomend talking to students or a guidance counselor as to what subject would best fits you and your capabilities.
I'd drop French and do triple science. However a languages are useful so if my family had the means and can help me learning and speaking.Then I'd be inclined to perhaps look into building up to doing professional Chartered Institute Linguist qualifications.
https://www.ciol.org.uk/ciol-qualifications

Sociology:
Sociology sounds interesting the study of society, human social behavior, patterns of social relationships, social interaction, and aspects of culture associated with everyday life.

Everyone is doing the same sort of things French GCSE, A-level, Btec, IB so dare to be different and stand out from the ground. I might consider doing Open University and perhaps to a diploma instead.
https://www.open.edu/openlearn/languages/free-courses

Knowing what you legislating for may be useful and also the languages involved in Biodiversity and conservation.
https://medium.com/beginnerbrazilian/5-best-languages-to-learn-for-biodiversity-conservation-6743ecc88892#:~:text=English%20(which%20I%20assume%20you,and%20South%20America%20except%20Brazil.

All the best...
:hello:

Quick Reply

Latest