The Student Room Group

unexpected GCSE results

I just got my GCSE's and didn't meet the requirements for my previously chosen A-level subjects. I can no longer do a law degree at a top university because I got a low grade in english and have opted to engineering (because I only had a few hours to decide) as I did better in math & science subjects. I planned on doing English, Politics, Sociology and Maths. Now I am doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. Any advice and tips on what I should do as I didn't plan for this?
Reply 1
Honestly it’s slightly concerning you made such a drastic change so quickly. Do you actually enjoy the subjects you have now picked for AL? And do you actually think you want to study engineering? You’ve now chosen to do probably 4 of the hardest a levels on a whim, people that live and breathe STEM would struggle with such a thing let alone someone who originally planned to do 3 essay subjects…
You still have time to change again and I suggest you really do think through your options including resitting English!
Reply 2
Hello
Reply 3
Hello2
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
Honestly it’s slightly concerning you made such a drastic change so quickly. Do you actually enjoy the subjects you have now picked for AL? And do you actually think you want to study engineering? You’ve now chosen to do probably 4 of the hardest a levels on a whim, people that live and breathe STEM would struggle with such a thing let alone someone who originally planned to do 3 essay subjects…
You still have time to change again and I suggest you really do think through your options including resitting English!

To be honest, I had always considered law and engineering as my two main career options, but in the last 2 years I decided to pursue law. However, I like Maths and Physics but am not sure about Chemistry and Biology. I do agree that the change of subjects was quick and almost the exact opposite of my previous ones but I have a lot of potential to do well in them, I just need to work immensely hard.

Quick Reply

Latest