The Student Room Group

Reapplying on UCAS as a university student

For the past couple months, I've had this thought to change courses since the career prospects of my course are not what I really want to do. I've been wanting to do dentistry, but during Year 13, I never had the time to fully commit to the work experience, volunteering and study for the UCAT in time, so my hopes were flushed down the toilet since we were going through some personal issues. I want to switch to dentistry and I've made my decision to go for it, I've noted down everything I need to do and I've planned everything out. But there's just one thing holding me back.

My parents do not, and I repeat DO NOT want to me to drop out of my pharmacy course, and I know before you tell me that "your parents shouldn't decide your future" or however you want to rephrase that; I just cannot drop out or else it's just essentially a broken relationship between me and my parents (It's a bit complicated, me and my parents don't talk too much together but yeah there's no need to go into details).

So to keep my parental relationship intact, I began researching and found that I can still reapply on UCAS whilst being a student since they're both independent of each other.

But the thing that's ringing in my mind is that if I'm still a pharmacy student (second year by 2024 entry) and they see my application. Is there any way they could see that I'm still a student at a university or even at an interview could they question me on that. Basically would still being a pharmacy student whilst going through the application process of dentistry affect my chances of getting in, or getting in at all.

Appreciate whoever has taken the time to read this,
If anyone knows or knows someone who'd be the best to speak to this about, please let me know.

p.s
I know that maybe you're thinking that you should do whatever makes you happy and just drop out and go for it. I once heard someone say that, if you're truly passionate about something, then one way or another you'll find a way to do it. I believe that. But for me, that comes at a price of me severing a complicated relationship, but one I'd never let go in an eternity. I want to do dentistry but this one thing is keeping me stuck, every single day is slipping by as I wait for a solution to my question. Please someone out there, help me find a solution.
How are you going to fund a 5 year Dentistry degree?

Quick Reply

Latest